TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby Kicker subwoofer convertible

DubbsFaris

Okay, so I took out the factory shaker 1000 sub box, and the amp rack behind it....and man, I sure dont see why they built this kicker box the way they did... :headscratch:

so here is what needs to be done: I spent several hours measuring and figuring out the best solution that can be replicated easily. Well, if they had designed the box 2 inches deeper, it would have compensated the volume needed to leave the box squared and not interfere with the ragtop cradle. But they didnt....and my guess would be that they had a coupe to size up, and never considered that the vert is a different size. :censored:

So, I am going to build out a completely new box, and mount the amp on the sirius antenna module bracket, but, hopefully I can take the design and have it molded into a box that will fit...Im hoping to get this completed by next Friday. I'll keep yall posted on my progress.

:lurk:

So Warren - I don't have a vert and I'm trying to picture what you are saying. Could it be as simple as just adding a 2" spacer?

Because the shape of the kicker sub box is molded to fit and form the coupe, the forward part of the subbox where the amplifier is attached will not clear the trunk ceiling...here is why.

The convertibles have a "cradle" area that tucks away the top out of sight when the tor is down. This actual trunk ceiling forward of the hatch is cut out and there is a one piece light steel insert that drops the ceiling of the trunk approximately 3" going all the way across the trunk space. This interferes with the placement of the sub box, and cannot be cut since the top would not have room to fully lower, plus it would create a risk of cracking the glass window in the top if it should bind in some way. Some people have tried to use this space to stuff a pillow in there and even that has broken the rear window in one case. So it is important to keep that area unobstructed and clear.

The sad thing is, if the forward facing part of the box had been lowered, it still would have had room to be inserted and would have worked in both designs, coupe and vert, which leads me to beleive they didnt know the vert had differences in trunk space until after it had moved into production.

But we will get a solution on it. I am using the shaker box to manufacture the prototype, which will be a board box, and then try to have that produced in a molded plastic solution that kicker uses to get a little better fit in the area. It isnt going to be easy for me, but as long as Kicker continues to sell the speaker system upgrade, Im sure it is not on their to do list to help out us vert owners...

But its not the first thing I have had to redesign, so I expect something soon that will work.

(On a side note, after I removed the shaker 1000 box, I have to say, I couldn't really tell a noticable difference in bass quality from the drivers seat listening to the radio...in my honest opinion, the sub box really doesnt give you much results for the trouble....perhaps the Kicker box will, but unless you are jamming your favorite rap music, I cant see how having the sub would even matter. The other speakers and door subs do a wonderful job balancing the sound all on their own.)

I planned on just doing the compartment speakers and leaving the shaker box as is, but with the sale, I figured why not get the whole system, since it is like getting the sub for free, and try to work something out so we verts can have the cool mods too....even if it doesnt work out as well as the shaker, I always can just put the shaker back in and just sell the kicker sub package since Im not doing anything to the box it came in...thats a worse case, and someone would get a great deal on the sub since I would sell it for 3 or 4 hundred, a 50% discount and a win/win for everyone. So any way this turns out will be fine with me.

(On a side note, after I removed the shaker 1000 box, I have to say, I couldn't really tell a noticable difference in bass quality from the drivers seat listening to the radio...in my honest opinion, the sub box really doesnt give you much results for the trouble....perhaps the Kicker box will, but unless you are jamming your favorite rap music, I cant see how having the sub would even matter. The other speakers and door subs do a wonderful job balancing the sound all on their own.)

I can tell you that I was never impressed with the big shaker box in the back. I had the shaker 500 in my car (without the big box) and Christine had the 1000 with that big box. I honestly didn't see what the big deal was. I did not see that big of a difference between the 500 and the 1000, maybe a little, but not as much as I thought I would, or should. Now I can still tell you that the difference in the Kicker and the shaker is day and night. You definitely will know that that sub is in the back. I can have the volume on the lowest setting and you can still here that box in the back working; outside the car. I kind of wish I knew what the kicker system without the box sounded like in comparison, but with the box, believe me you know that it's there.

And before you start any wise cracks, I don't listen to rap.

I hope you get it worked out

Well it makes sense that they did not test this on a Vert before moving into production. Sounds like they could have built a box that would have worked either way. I would also like to do this upgrade at some point. I decided to have some clear bra put on the car so I didn't take advantage of the sale. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a box. :happy feet:

Well it makes sense that they did not test this on a Vert before moving into production. Sounds like they could have built a box that would have worked either way. I would also like to do this upgrade at some point. I decided to have some clear bra put on the car so I didn't take advantage of the sale. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a box. :happy feet:

JMO, much better investment!

I love my clear bra....not only because of the protection it provides, but ease of clean up when I'm just running around town. I can just come home, wipe it down with a damp rag, spray some clear bra detail spray on it and it looks good as new.

to the OP, look forward to seeing some pictures of the final product....I bet it's going to sound much better than the stock speakers

Archived