TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Did anybody purchase extended warranty?

MichaelP

I was given the option to buy the extended warranty. I've never purchased these in the past and was wondering if

anyone felt they were worth the additional investment.

Planning on keeping the car for awhile (longer than 3 years) but it will be low mileage vehicle...probably less than 6K miles

each year.

I was a little concerned that the additional parts covered normally have a life expectancy longer than the additional warranty or that there was something in fine print that WOULD NOT be covered.. Seems like every time i bring one of our other vehicles in

for service i get typical response "oh, that is not covered in your bumper to bumper warranty"....

Any thoughts?

This is my first Ford and I have no experience with their additional warranty programs..

Thanks,

M.

I was given the option to buy the extended warranty. I've never purchased these in the past and was wondering if

anyone felt they were worth the additional investment.

Planning on keeping the car for awhile (longer than 3 years) but it will be low mileage vehicle...probably less than 6K miles

each year.

I was a little concerned that the additional parts covered normally have a life expectancy longer than the additional warranty or that there was something in fine print that WOULD NOT be covered.. Seems like every time i bring one of our other vehicles in

for service i get typical response "oh, that is not covered in your bumper to bumper warranty"....

Any thoughts?

This is my first Ford and I have no experience with their additional warranty programs..

Thanks,

M.

Is it worth it?...depends on who you ask....some say yes, some say no.

I did not purchase the extended warranty at the time when I was buying the car, because I knew I could come back with-in a reasonable amount of time and get it later on.

However, I did come across the following information here on the TS site that I printed out and put it in my car file. I have not called to verify anything, but if it is true, I'll probably go this route if & when I feel I should get it.

Northern Ford by Shelbyville, MT

7 year 36K/60K Premium Care ESP for $655 - $50 deductable

7 year 48K/80K Premium Care ESP for $930 - $50 deductable

7 year 60K/100K Premium Care ESP for $1,125 - $50 deductable

> This is a North American Warranty so it covers USA, Canada and goes right into you VIN

> You can make payments over 11 months with no interest

> Call 1.800.823.1234, ask for Sabrina and tell her you are one of the Shelby Guys

Is it worth it?...depends on who you ask....some say yes, some say no.

I did not purchase the extended warranty at the time when I was buying the car, because I knew I could come back with-in a reasonable amount of time and get it later on.

However, I did come across the following information here on the TS site that I printed out and put it in my car file. I have not called to verify anything, but if it is true, I'll probably go this route if & when I feel I should get it.

Northern Ford by Shelbyville, MT

7 year 36K/60K Premium Care ESP for $655 - $50 deductable

7 year 48K/80K Premium Care ESP for $930 - $50 deductable

7 year 60K/100K Premium Care ESP for $1,125 - $50 deductable

> This is a North American Warranty so it covers USA, Canada and goes right into you VIN

> You can make payments over 11 months with no interest

> Call 1.800.823.1234, ask for Sabrina and tell her you are one of the Shelby Guys

Either way it has a 5 year 60000 mile engine and trans warrenty which is the big thing. I really think if the bumper to bumper stuff lasts three years then atleast you know that hopefully you dont have anything defective. What make of car did you own that they wouldn't cover your previous warrenty problems? As far as I know the warrenty should cover everything except windsheild wiper blades, tires (LOL) and other normal wear things?

i got the $655 package--i may put 3-5K/year,so im looking more at elapsd time than mileage.As noted above,you dont have to decide when you buy it,and it is thru Ford not an outside company.This gives me another 4 years.

I did not buy the extended warranty, but probably will as this one runs out. I just extended the warranty on my 2006 Ford Explorer to 7 years/100,000 miles as the original warranty was about to expire. Ford sent me an e-mail and I just clicked the link, so that is definitely an option on this car as well. I have not decided if I want to do some mods which would probably void the warranty so will wait and see what happens.

Regards,

Jim

Ford warranties are very sensitive to vehicle modifications. Anything electrical, mechanical, or powertrain-related that you do to the car can void either that specific part of the Ford warranty or in some cases the whole warranty. This is largely at the discretion of the Service Manager of your Ford dealership, so consult with him before doing anything if your warranty is important to you.

It may also make a difference if a mod is a Ford Racing Performance Parts mod designed for your car, and if it is installed by a Ford dealer. But different FRPP items have different car-warranty implications, as well as different warranties for themselves. For example, if you have a set of these installed when you take delivery of the car, they will be warrantied for your car's full 3/36, and not disturb its own warranty. But if you add them later, the FRPP warranty would be only 1/12. [And both of these require Ford dealer installation.]

On the other hand, if you put one of these on, you can watch your original warranty [and ESP] fly right out the window!

Ford ESPs are more stringent where mods are concerned. While the local Service Manager has much discretion where coverage under the car's original warranty is concerned, ESP claims are subject to ESP-officials' reviews, which are beyond the local dealership's control. Your Service Manager again can advise you on what if anything would be ESP-OK to do to your car.

Obviously if you intend to leave your car factory-stock, these are not concerns. But if you intend to do modifications, just check out the warranty/ESP consequences before you do [and before you spend money on an ESP].

Incidentally, there are several Internet sites offering to sell Ford ESPs at deep discounts. Just Google "Ford ESP" and do some comparison shopping if interested.

Michael

Archived