TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 first service

1970boss302

Here is what I would do, do the oil change and cross rotate the front tires side to side and do the same for the rear tires. Since the stock tires are not directional, it will at least keep the front tires from feathering on the inside as fast.

Didn't think you could do that with Radials.

Here is what I would do, do the oil change and cross rotate the front tires side to side and do the same for the rear tires. Since the stock tires are not directional, it will at least keep the front tires from feathering on the inside as fast.

I tried that, but them wheels is hard to get on there wrong side out!

Didn't think you could do that with Radials.

Swapping sides is what Ford recommends in the owner's manual, assuming you're still running the non-directional GY Eagle F1 Supercars. I just did the tire swap last week after 6700 miles.

Because your vehicle is equipped with unique larger tires on the rear

wheels, you can only rotate the tires side to side. You must not rotate

tires in a crisscross pattern or front to rear. If you notice that the tires

wear unevenly, have them checked.

If you ever swap the stock tires for ones with a directional tread then you can no longer simply swap sides.

You people are a little anal about the oil changes....it's not 1960 anymore. I did my first oil change at 1000 miles...which is unnecessary....check your owner's manual....and then every 5000 or 7500 miles...depending on driving conditions...or every 6 months...whatever comes first

It's just a freakin' car....maintain it...as Ford suggests...and DRIVE it...JEESH!

You people are a little anal about the oil changes....it's not 1960 anymore. I did my first oil change at 1000 miles...which is unnecessary....check your owner's manual....and then every 5000 or 7500 miles...depending on driving conditions...or every 6 months...whatever comes first

It's just a freakin' car....maintain it...as Ford suggests...and DRIVE it...JEESH!

I only change the oil once a year or every 3K in my mustangs. Been doing that for a long time, no problems. My DD gets it once a year or 5K. I also use Mobile 1 15W-50.

Changing synthetic oil every 3000 miles on a street car is just a waste of $$$.

The only exception to this I can think of would be for the cars that are more or less stored for the winter, in order to get rid of any condensation that's accumulated. Then you would just be changing the oil once a year, regardless of miles (e.g.-cars that are driven 1-6k/yr).

Have it tested, most synthetics will be fine even with 7500 miles on it. A lot of people are wasting a lot of money changing synthetics real often. I got a deal on some Mobil 1 for the DD and it's going to go atleast 10k. But that just me, to each there own.

Have it tested, most synthetics will be fine even with 7500 miles on it. A lot of people are wasting a lot of money changing synthetics real often. I got a deal on some Mobil 1 for the DD and it's going to go atleast 10k. But that just me, to each there own.

have you tested you mobil one, because there was a thread on SVTP about mobil 1 not holding up well in these GT500 Supercharged cars, any way to each there own on there oil changes. but when your driving 150mph plus an get some drag use out of it as well you take the chance of your oil an filter not holding up. i personally have been using the Roush/Valvoline Full syn 5w-50 with a motorcraft oil filter. an at 3k it looks time to change.

have you tested you mobil one, because there was a thread on SVTP about mobil 1 not holding up well in these GT500 Supercharged cars, any way to each there own on there oil changes. but when your driving 150mph plus an get some drag use out of it as well you take the chance of your oil an filter not holding up. i personally have been using the Roush/Valvoline Full syn 5w-50 with a motorcraft oil filter. an at 3k it looks time to change.

I don't use Mobil 1 in the Shelby, it's in the daily driver. You are dead on correct that some cars need more frequent service based on use. My post was assuming street driven status only.

i change my oils every 3k, i dont care what the manual says, i like to drive my car an get on it here an there and 5k oil changes wont cut it

I gotta agree.At 3K the oil is starting to get dirty.IMO oil is cheep,i'v always changed at 3000,makes me happy so that's all that counts.

I have yet to do an oil change as I am at 1500 miles and put the car away for the winter. I will be doing one in the spring when it hits the streets again.

I was talking to a mechanic friend of mine and he said that you only need to change the filter at 3000 miles and top off the oil. The new filter cleans up the oil to look like new in a couple of minutes, in his experience. Then change the oil every other service.

Anyone else hear this????

I have yet to do an oil change as I am at 1500 miles and put the car away for the winter. I will be doing one in the spring when it hits the streets again.

I was talking to a mechanic friend of mine and he said that you only need to change the filter at 3000 miles and top off the oil. The new filter cleans up the oil to look like new in a couple of minutes, in his experience. Then change the oil every other service.

I wouldn't change just the filter. You've got a nice engine, so do it a big favor and change both oil and filter.

The oil isn't all that costly... I just did my first oil change at around 500 miles, like I would with any new car. My oil was starting to look dirty even with 500 miles, so it got dumped, and filter got changed. I sleep better now. :)

This is very bad advice, If the filter could clean the oil to like new it would become blocked and by-pass in no time.

My retort:

My car is not a DD so I can't rack up the miles before the 6 months are up so, my oil gets changed on a "Time schedule" as opposed to a "Mileage schedule". Besides, the way I look at it, the price of an oil change is cheap insurance. When you frequently change the oil, the car gets frequently looked at. When you change the oil every 7500 miles, things don't tend to be inspected as much. Of course, that's my opinion.

Hey, don't people still smoke cigarettes at over $5 a pack? Talk about pissing money away !

This is bad advice - a new filter can never make used oil look and function like new. Change both the oil and filter at the same time. Over time oil collects all sorts of contaminants, combustion byproducts, and moisture that the filter can never get rid of. Plus the additives used to maintain the oil properties and to protect the engine lose their effectiveness over time/use. As a minimum, follow the maintentance schedule that Ford advises.

Archived