TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Taking the aluminum Shelby strut brace off!

I've had the aluminum Shelby strut brace for about a year and it did look good when I installed it. Very impressive. However, the brace contacts the hood insulation liner in multiple places and over time those places exhibit white spots on both the strut and the liner. The spots on the strut can be polish off, but they always come back and it's getting worse. It's really at a point where you can't get all of the spots out by polishing and waxing anymore. Also the white spots are getting worse on the liner. I thought about taking the liner off, but the hood, with all those exposed rivets from the scoop, looks pretty bad in my opinion.

So, with much regret, I'm gonna take the aluminum strut off and put the original one back on. I also ordered a new hood liner to replace the now spotted one.

If you have the fiberglass hood, you may not have this problem (more clearance??), but if you have the standard hood you will most likely have the same problem as me.

I think it is just another example of Scott Drake/Shelby not throughly testing a product.

I really think a clear coating on the strut is required, but it would have to be able to also take the heat from the engine.

I've had the aluminum Shelby strut brace for about a year and it did look good when I installed it. Very impressive. However, the brace contacts the hood insulation liner in multiple places and over time those places exhibit white spots on both the strut and the liner. The spots on the strut can be polish off, but they always come back and it's getting worse. It's really at a point where you can't get all of the spots out by polishing and waxing anymore. Also the white spots are getting worse on the liner. I thought about taking the liner off, but the hood, with all those exposed rivets from the scoop, looks pretty bad in my opinion.

So, with much regret, I'm gonna take the aluminum strut off and put the original one back on. I also ordered a new hood liner to replace the now spotted one.

If you have the fiberglass hood, you may not have this problem (more clearance??), but if you have the standard hood you will most likely have the same problem as me.

I think it is just another example of Scott Drake/Shelby not throughly testing a product.

I really think a clear coating on the strut is required, but it would have to be able to also take the heat from the engine.

I think I'll try the Duplicolor Wheel Clear Coat spray on the brace before I give up on it. I'll take it off, polish it up, clean it and then spray it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Do you drive a GT500 or Shelby GT? I have the same brace on the 2008 Shelby GT and have not seen anything rubbing the liner or spots. I'll check again tonight to be sure!!

John

Do you drive a GT500 or Shelby GT? I have the same brace on the 2008 Shelby GT and have not seen anything rubbing the liner or spots. I'll check again tonight to be sure!!

John

I have a Shelby GT and I can see the indentations where the brace contacts the hood liner. In every place it contacts, I get white spots and stains on the brace and some on the liner. Where it doesn't contact there are never any spots and it's been getting worse and worse.

I tried to put clear packaging tape on ther hood liner where the brace contacts and that completely stops the spotting, but the tape looks like crap on the liner. So it is without a doubt, the contact of the liner with the aluminum causing this problem.

I just got the Duplicolor clear wheel spray and I'll try it out this weekend. If it doesn't work, then I'm putting the old brace back on with a new liner.

Checked mine and there is two very small spots where it rubs the liner. Bar itself is spotless. Not enough going on to worry about.

I have a Shelby GT and I can see the indentations where the brace contacts the hood liner. In every place it contacts, I get white spots and stains on the brace and some on the liner. Where it doesn't contact there are never any spots and it's been getting worse and worse.

I tried to put clear packaging tape on ther hood liner where the brace contacts and that completely stops the spotting, but the tape looks like crap on the liner. So it is without a doubt, the contact of the liner with the aluminum causing this problem.

I just got the Duplicolor clear wheel spray and I'll try it out this weekend. If it doesn't work, then I'm putting the old brace back on with a new liner.

Archived