TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Front End Liscense Plates - BUMMED OUT!

I just picked up my new liscense plates yesterday, and in the State of Maryland we have to have plates on the rear and the front. I did not receive the assembly piece for the plates for the front end when I purchased from out of state.

In either case, I am totally BUMMED out with having to put plates on the front end of my stripes! Can someone please tell me if I have to drill through the stipes on the front bumper. Ouch!

If anyone has pics of the finished license plates on the front of the 2010...please post!

Thanks!

I live in Virginia and also have to have a front plate. I went with this one: http://trailerrebuilders.com/services

No drilling into the bumper. It attaches via the chin splitter. I'm having problems with my camara so I can't take a pic now but I'm pretty sure there's a topic on this site about this. Search and you'll find a few options.

I just picked up my new liscense plates yesterday, and in the State of Maryland we have to have plates on the rear and the front. I did not receive the assembly piece for the plates for the front end when I purchased from out of state.

In either case, I am totally BUMMED out with having to put plates on the front end of my stripes! Can someone please tell me if I have to drill through the stipes on the front bumper. Ouch!

If anyone has pics of the finished license plates on the front of the 2010...please post!

Thanks!

I live in Virginia and also have to have a front plate. I went with this one: http://trailerrebuilders.com/services

No drilling into the bumper. It attaches via the chin splitter. I'm having problems with my camara so I can't take a pic now but I'm pretty sure there's a topic on this site about this. Search and you'll find a few options.

Starting to feel better already!

Thanks!

theres another option Ive seen but it goes right in the middle of the bottom grill area. I live in CA where we are also required to have front plates but Ive been daily driving my car since August with my front plate in my passenger seat back pouch the whole time and no problems. Since Ive been doing this I've actually noticed theres quite a few cars on the road without the front plates as well.

Do not bother

You will be fine, just pay the fines, but I bet you you wont have to, unless your driving like an idiot, they will just leave you alone

just my humble opinion

oh and when you need an inspection sticker, just temporarily zip tie it to plastic grill away from paint or use one of those attachments mentioned above

the zip tie is the cheapest though

"in the State of Maryland we have to have plates on the rear and the front."

I live in CO and previously in CA.

Both states require front plates. I had a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP in Cali and I never installed the front plates. I kept the plates in the bracket under the front pass. seat in case Johnny Law ever pulled me over. I planned to tell him that they just fell off and I was waiting for my appointment with my body shop.

Never had to, never got hassled in over 10 years of driving that car.

Now I live in Colorado. When I bought the car I insisted that the dealer NOT install the plate *OR* the bracket. He said they didn't anyway. He told me to keep the plate in the car (pass seat pocket is a GREAT place) and if Johnny Law pulls me over to tell him I have the bracket on order and am awaiting arrival.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the part number for the bracket is on the pack of license plate screws that is in the glove box.

Now, having said that...my son was driving his SUV down one of the main corridors in Co. Springs at 3:30 a.m. when a CoS PD officer coming the other way saw his lack of front plate. He pulled a U-turn and pulled my son over. My son was on his way to work but at that time of mourning most folks have been drinking. So the PD Officer used the front plate to pull him over to see if he was drinking.

So like someone else says, drive like a idiot (or any other type driving) and the lack of a front plate gives them a legit reason to pull you over.

IF I ever get pulled over, I'll use DS tape to put the plate on and then pull it after I get the ticket signed off. It's a 'fix-it ticket' for no plate, it's a fine for having a bogus (FORD, Sports team, etc.) plate on the front. I will NEVER drill my front facia.

HTH,

Phill Pollard - Co. Springs, CO

I'm in a state that requires front plates, but have gone without for half a year without any problems. I think it's unfair that vettes run around without front plates due to the design of the front bumper and GT500's are expected to have front plates.

I live in CO and previously in CA.

Both states require front plates. I had a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP in Cali and I never installed the front plates. I kept the plates in the bracket under the front pass. seat in case Johnny Law ever pulled me over. I planned to tell him that they just fell off and I was waiting for my appointment with my body shop.

Never had to, never got hassled in over 10 years of driving that car.

Now I live in Colorado. When I bought the car I insisted that the dealer NOT install the plate *OR* the bracket. He said they didn't anyway. He told me to keep the plate in the car (pass seat pocket is a GREAT place) and if Johnny Law pulls me over to tell him I have the bracket on order and am awaiting arrival.

Oh, and for what it's worth, the part number for the bracket is on the pack of license plate screws that is in the glove box.

Now, having said that...my son was driving his SUV down one of the main corridors in Co. Springs at 3:30 a.m. when a CoS PD officer coming the other way saw his lack of front plate. He pulled a U-turn and pulled my son over. My son was on his way to work but at that time of mourning most folks have been drinking. So the PD Officer used the front plate to pull him over to see if he was drinking.

So like someone else says, drive like a idiot (or any other type driving) and the lack of a front plate gives them a legit reason to pull you over.

IF I ever get pulled over, I'll use DS tape to put the plate on and then pull it after I get the ticket signed off. It's a 'fix-it ticket' for no plate, it's a fine for having a bogus (FORD, Sports team, etc.) plate on the front. I will NEVER drill my front facia.

HTH,

Phill Pollard - Co. Springs, CO

Phill,

I have had my 08 without a front plate in Colorado from the beginning. When I had the Sheriff come over to my home for VIN verification, he told me that he wouldn't put the front plate on either.

Regards, Light66

Truth be told - VA requires that a license plate be displayed on the front of the vehicle - though it does not state where. There is also an exclusion for antique vehicles - where it was designed specifically for no front plate. I think it's arguable that our car is designed in such a manner. With our bracket absent and stripes present - there's no place for a plate. New Vettes could argue the same. In any case - I've had my plate on the front dash - and some put it on the passenger visor - and have had no problems. Many Vette owners do the same. This should be sufficient, but it's up to the discretion of the officer...

Phill,

I have had my 08 without a front plate in Colorado from the beginning. When I had the Sheriff come over to my home for VIN verification, he told me that he wouldn't put the front plate on either.

Regards, Light66

I gotta tell you, I have noticed a HUGE difference with the police mentality in CO vs. CA.

I have not run across one cop in CO that I'd call a asshole.

I have personally called a BUNCH of CA cops (City PD & County Sheriffs) assholes, to their faces.

It's been my perspective that for the most part, Cali cops are scared.

And that's coming from somone who has many good friends (and a couple of family members) who are California cops.

What I've noticed out here is that the cops aren't 'hard-nosed'.

I have two Harley's, both with modified exhausts. I was warned before I moved out here that the cops were all over loud pipes. So far, NO problems. But I don't ride like a idiot either!

It's a lot like the front license plate issue...if you act like a idiot, you'll get treated like a idiot. Don't give 'em a reason to pull you over and they most likely, won't.

Oh, and putting it up on my front dash is something I hadn't thought about! That's a easy fix. See a cop, pull the plate out of the seat pocket and place it up on the dash!

Sorry, I got off on a whole different tangent there!

Phill Pollard

Do not bother

You will be fine, just pay the fines, but I bet you you wont have to, unless your driving like an idiot, they will just leave you alone

just my humble opinion

oh and when you need an inspection sticker, just temporarily zip tie it to plastic grill away from paint or use one of those attachments mentioned above

the zip tie is the cheapest though

I agree..........and I'm the Po-Po. Don't put it on.......I didn't. And I seriously douibt you'll get pulled over for it anyway unless your doing some retarded driving. It's not a moving violation anyway, so no points on the license. Not worth it to mess up the car! And I have never had anyone say anything about it at the inspection either.........with my old "01 Cobra or anything else.

No way I will drill my bumper either! Here in Cali, law states it needs to be visible, but not where, so on the passenger side dash it goes! Used a couple of suction cups attached to the glass so it does not move. Not one problem in the 1.5 years I've had it.

The CA Vehicle Code law does require a front plate in California for automobiles and trucks which must be "attached to the front of the vehicle". It doesn't say where or how. Inside the passenger compartment is not the "front" and placing on the dash is not "attached".

BTW, it is also illegal to block any part of the front windshield except for a FASTRAK transponder, temporary registration or small parking permit. This would disallow driving with the plate stuck in the dash and partially blocking the windshield. This portion of law makes windshield mounts for GPS or radar detectors illegal.

You will be ticketed for it in the windshield if an office desires.

I gotta tell you, I have noticed a HUGE difference with the police mentality in CO vs. CA.

I have not run across one cop in CO that I'd call a asshole.

I have personally called a BUNCH of CA cops (City PD & County Sheriffs) assholes, to their faces.

It's been my perspective that for the most part, Cali cops are scared.

And that's coming from somone who has many good friends (and a couple of family members) who are California cops.

What I've noticed out here is that the cops aren't 'hard-nosed'.

I have two Harley's, both with modified exhausts. I was warned before I moved out here that the cops were all over loud pipes. So far, NO problems. But I don't ride like a idiot either!

It's a lot like the front license plate issue...if you act like a idiot, you'll get treated like a idiot. Don't give 'em a reason to pull you over and they most likely, won't.

Oh, and putting it up on my front dash is something I hadn't thought about! That's a easy fix. See a cop, pull the plate out of the seat pocket and place it up on the dash!

Sorry, I got off on a whole different tangent there!

Phill Pollard

I work for the CHP and the only time I have ever stopped someone for no font plate was at 2:00 AM. Most of us look for any reason to stop someone at night to see if they're drunk. Otherwise, it's just a mechanical violation nothing to worry about, just stick the plate in the window and you'll be fine. Most of us could really care less, ohh and Corvettes are not exempt from the rule they need plates too.

As to the previous post about CA cops being scared, maybe you should try and do this job everyday. California is a little different then Colorado. I work out in the Oakland area and not to long ago we lost 4 OPD officers, and just 2 days ago some jackass walks into a coffee shop and kills 4 more in Washington. Scared? You bet your ass, sometimes I am. My friend was killed 6 moths ago trying to help an accident victim off the freeway, a stupid drunk comes around the corner and takes him out.

The reason a lot of cops are "assholes" is because we deal with assholes on a daily basis. One minute were thanked for helping someone out the next we’re ridiculed because we need to do our job. The best advice I can give anyone is just be polite to the officer, half the time it’s all you need to do to get out of a ticket.

I work for the CHP and the only time I have ever stopped someone for no font plate was at 2:00 AM. Most of us look for any reason to stop someone at night to see if they're drunk. Otherwise, it's just a mechanical violation nothing to worry about, just stick the plate in the window and you'll be fine. Most of us could really care less, ohh and Corvettes are not exempt from the rule they need plates too.

As to the previous post about CA cops being scared, maybe you should try and do this job everyday. California is a little different then Colorado. I work out in the Oakland area and not to long ago we lost 4 OPD officers, and just 2 days ago some jackass walks into a coffee shop and kills 4 more in Washington. Scared? You bet your ass, sometimes I am. My friend was killed 6 moths ago trying to help an accident victim off the freeway, a stupid drunk comes around the corner and takes him out.

The reason a lot of cops are "assholes" is because we deal with assholes on a daily basis. One minute were thanked for helping someone out the next we’re ridiculed because we need to do our job. The best advice I can give anyone is just be polite to the officer, half the time it’s all you need to do to get out of a ticket.

....+10000000000000......................

Front plate required here in Virginia. I will not drill or even mount on my front bumper. I'll take my chances with a fine. My plate currently sits in my glove compartment. Four months and 1,600 miles with the car. Have passed many police officers. No tickets yet.

By the way, my brother is a police officer.

I have been pulled over for speeding about 15 times in the past 20 years in many eastern states. Some of the officers were a$$holes, but most were nice or at least professional. I don't find the ratio significantly different than in any other profession. For example, I know hundreds of doctors, many teachers, countless businessmen; most are nice; some are a$$holes.

Anyone know if this type of retractable plate holder has been tested to withstand wind forces at say 180 mph? :headscratch:

Thanks for all you do!!

In San Francisco the front-plate law is actively enforced, because of the number of red-light-running cameras throughout the city and the fact that the city budget is seriously in the red.

If readers would like some statistics on just how dangerous & deadly it is being a CHP officer, see the list on this page - and those are only the fatalities.

Traffic stops sometimes go needlessly badly because the motorist is startled and stressed and acts accordingly, while the officer isn't sure just how dangerous a situation he may be facing. Take a look at this checklist if you have a moment, and pass it around to motorists in your family.

Michael

CHP 11/99 Member - Thanks, you guys!

Derrick917,

Thanks for your service to the citizens of California. Most people do appreciate the work LEO's do, but there is an element with complete indifference who disrespect the police. The Oakland incident is still heartbreaking, and now Washington. The courts are out of control. BTW, it sounds like you may have worked with Trent and Sam out of Telegraph. In my line of work, I frequently work with them and your commercial guys. Brent Clearman was a neighbor, very tragic at 66th. Take care out there.

Thanks for all you do!!

In San Francisco the front-plate law is actively enforced, because of the number of red-light-running cameras throughout the city and the fact that the city budget is seriously in the red.

If readers would like some statistics on just how dangerous & deadly it is being a CHP officer, see the list on this page - and those are only the fatalities.

Traffic stops sometimes go needlessly badly because the motorist is startled and stressed and acts accordingly, while the officer isn't sure just how dangerous a situation he may be facing. Take a look at this checklist if you have a moment, and pass it around to motorists in your family.

Michael

CHP 11/99 Member - Thanks, you guys!

Derrick917,

Thanks for your service to the citizens of California. Most people do appreciate the work LEO's do, but there is an element with complete indifference who disrespect the police. The Oakland incident is still heartbreaking, and now Washington. The courts are out of control. BTW, it sounds like you may have worked with Trent and Sam out of Telegraph. In my line of work, I frequently work with them and your commercial guys. Brent Clearman was a neighbor, very tragic at 66th. Take care out there.

Thanks for the support guys

As a fellow MD resident I do not display my front plate. I've only been pulled over once in Ocean City and given a warning. You'll find most officers have better things to do. OCPD have been the only ones to ever give me any grief. In my 05 GT I had some state cops pull me over, they just wanted to look at the car and account for their time. :)

FYI I already have 5500 miles on my car so I drive it a lot. One time in Ocean City isn't a bad ratio considering the hundreds of police I've passed to date.

As a fellow MD resident I do not display my front plate. I've only been pulled over once in Ocean City and given a warning. You'll find most officers have better things to do. OCPD have been the only ones to ever give me any grief. In my 05 GT I had some state cops pull me over, they just wanted to look at the car and account for their time. :)

FYI I already have 5500 miles on my car so I drive it a lot. One time in Ocean City isn't a bad ratio considering the hundreds of police I've passed to date.

I have a summer house in Fenwick Island, Delaware, so I predict I will have the opportunity to visit with the Ocean City Police! LOL

Anyone know if this type of retractable plate holder has been tested to withstand wind forces at say 180 mph? :headscratch:

I don’t know if it has any effect at 180 MPH, but no problems at 95. Still in the testing stage....

I live on Long Island, NYS, and we too have the two plate law. I have been running my “classic cars” for over six years without a front plate and have never been stopped for not having one.

However… I go to a cruise in every Sunday to OBI (Oak beach/Jones Beach) patrolled by NY State Troopers, they stand at the exit and pull over and ticket cars and motorcycles (all makes!) that do not have front plates or proper tags. $95 ticket!!!! Up until last week I would keep my front plate under my seat, and before leaving I would attach it to the front grill with plastic ties, after passing the “check point” I would pull over and remove it.

Last week I installed the Altec retractable plate holder (manual, not remote) $54 including shipping, ten minutes to install and now I have piece of mind and no holes in the front fascia.

If needed I can drive around with it up all day and put it down at a cruise in for the clean look we all want and no one would even know I have a front plate.

I highly recommend it.

Rich

Archived