TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fail emission test

Hey guys been trying to get my car inspected by my dealer and everytime there 3 light that have to turn off for it to pass. My buddy the service manager lent me his scanner. He told me to drive around till the 2 or 3 light go out and then it will pass!! I thought he was crazy so, I did some investigating and found the same answer online. So for 2 days been cruising the highways for miles with no results even ran the car with the stock tune. Nothing and the car is running strong and getting 24mls to the gallon. The only thing, I wasn't happy with is shop lives by the scanner for the answer and when it doesn't spit it out they are lost. I was going to buy my own scanner that will give me all the readings of the sensor's. Which, I suggested thats what they should do next!! I can't be driving around for hours everyday hoping it will work.

So if you guys have any suggestion please feel free, I'm ready to get my volt meter out.

Thanks

Was thinking that since some codes require two or three successive 360 minute cold-soak cycles before a code will actually light the MIL, possibly you can clear the codes and drive it to the dealer the next day since no chance of cold-soak MIL lighting that day (if it's one of those codes).

Here's a link to the 2007 Ford OBD-II System Ops Summary. If you know the codes you can look them up and read about what cycles and conditions are required to produce them and, subsequently, light a MIL ...possibly then bring the car in when it will be 'clean' ...if you see what I mean.

Some states will pass you with codes as long as a MIL hasn't been logged.

One thing I'm not clear on is if you already loaded the stock tune I think it should have cleared the codes (if not you can disconnect the batter neg terminal for 10 minutes and then reconnect). What is the "2 or 3 light" you're referring to? Do you know the actual code #s being logged?

sounds like there are sensors that havn't "turned" on yet if you flashed it recently or disconnected the battery or reset any codes the computer will show "not ready" on the emissions checker.. The car has to be driven the required cycles and speeds until all the pertinent sensors have turned on. my subaru took two weeks of driving after i reset it to bring everything up. the emission station should be able to printout a drive cycle schedule to bring the sensors up. good luck

Ah, that problem!... thanks for the explanation. I read the specific cycle some time ago on another site ...just looked for it but can't find it. Was a guy in Az/Nv(??)

Anyhow, re pg 158 on that OBD link I posted above ..should only take a couple of driving cycles (I believe that requires a prior cold-soak). Some special cycling if temp below 40F or elevation over 8K ft if I'm reading it right. If it doesn't reset after that tey imply there's possibly some other problem.

Thanks guys for the info its been a real pain as of today put on about 400mls and nothing. I brought it back to the dealer they are going to change the O2 sensors. I told them about the bad gas that I had acouple months ago and the car was pinging on me. But from there they will have to start some basic diagnostic work. I told them to keep my car till there's a inspection sticker on it. That's one of my things is driving with an expired inspection or regisration due to the fact if you have an accident your screwed. Because that car had no reason being on the road in the first place.

Thanks again

Anthony

Archived