TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Paint turning yellow

09TSpony

I own a 2009 GT500. It is High performance white with the mid-life blue crisis stripes. I have only had the vehicle for 4 months. It is not a garage queen, but I do keep it clean. The other day while wiping down the door sills I noticed that the edges of the door sills appear to be turning a yellow color. The color fading does not appear anywhere else on the vehicle. Any ideas? :cry:

I own a 2009 GT500. It is High performance white with the mid-life blue crisis stripes. I have only had the vehicle for 4 months. It is not a garage queen, but I do keep it clean. The other day while wiping down the door sills I noticed that the edges of the door sills appear to be turning a yellow color. The color fading does not appear anywhere else on the vehicle. Any ideas? :cry:

It would be helpful if you posted a picture

White will turn yellow if the paint starts to degrade.

I would suggest trying a claybar first to see if that helps. If not you'll need to use a polish on it most likely.

It would be helpful if you posted a picture

White will turn yellow if the paint starts to degrade.

I would suggest trying a claybar first to see if that helps. If not you'll need to use a polish on it most likely.

Claybar +1, and a picture or two if you can.

Wonder what's going on. :shrug:

I've noticed, on every white GT 500 I've seen (on dealer's lots) that the rear bumper cover and rear 1/4's seem to be a slightly different shade of white. The bumper cover seems to be a little dirty looking.......

I've noticed, on every white GT 500 I've seen (on dealer's lots) that the rear bumper cover and rear 1/4's seem to be a slightly different shade of white. The bumper cover seems to be a little dirty looking.......

Yep, you're right about that. My 07 GT500 performance white/blue stripes is a garage queen. I noticed soon after I bought it, in my garage which is really well, well lit with flourescent lighting, rear bumper assembly is a little different shade of white and looks a bit yellow tint next to the rest of the paint on the car. In the outside sunlight you can't see any difference, only in the garage under indoor lighting. What to do?? Nothing. Bumper is made of plastic, car metal. Bring it to the dealer and make an issue, prob. will end up trying to repaint and look even worse. Sorry, bad experiences at Mercedes dealership, Ford dealership, VW dealership with both maintenance services, and warranty services. I don't trust dealerships.

Steve

Bullhead City

Same here, perf white and vista blue stripes....I let mine cure out of the showroom for about 6 months and let it get some hot sun. Keeping it as clean as I could, I then washed with Dawn liquid, then clay barred the entire car and laid 4 coats of ICE paste with a good buffer.

There are no signs of any degrading or discoloration anywhere on the car.

Same here, perf white and vista blue stripes....I let mine cure out of the showroom for about 6 months and let it get some hot sun. Keeping it as clean as I could, I then washed with Dawn liquid, then clay barred the entire car and laid 4 coats of ICE paste with a good buffer.

There are no signs of any degrading or discoloration anywhere on the car.

Same here two years this December 6700 miles and no color change...Oh by the way the trans shifts like a charm so far.

Is it where the door rubber meets the rocker panel?

My 2007 has done the same thing so even though all white ones do not do this, I doubt if it is an isolated problem. My rear bumper was just the tiniest bit off color from the rest of the car when it rolled off the transporter. Its simply not unusual for plastic parts to take on a slightly different hue than the rest of the car.

My rear bumper has the same issue.

Just figured it was the plastic versus metal thing.

In a way, it is. This is usually a side-effect of using flex additive when painting flexible parts. I have noticed that even the slightest amount of additive can change the hue ever so slightly. Without it, the paint would crack under the slightest impact.

I don't know of any tricks to clean it, maybe the dealer will know something or others will, I've seen door rubbers do this before.

Thx a million. I am so relieved at this point. You have no idea how worried I have been over this. I hated the idea of taking it back to the dealership. I have had issues, and a law suit, with a Ford dealership over damages which were a result of neglectful employees and poor workmanship. They do not understand how meticulous some of us are over or vehicles. Again, thx... Now I just need to figure out how to minimize the fading. I'll try a clay bar and let you know. :salute:

Same issue here with my white 07. I had a white 03 Terminator which had the same discoloring problem. Dealer repainted the rear bumper cover and matched it perfectly. All under warranty. Would have done it with the Shelby, but now that I'm planning on getting a 2011, I'll just leave it alone.

• 10 years later...

Archived