TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Super Snake Owners 725 Option

Love the car but SAI has really been disappointing.

This forum is the perfect venue for communication between SAI and its loyal customers... Despite that, SAI won't say a peep about the REAL issues that we bring up here. ...not traction, not spark plugs, not strut tower brace. what a shame.

combine that with the numerous quality issues that needed to be fixed upon delivery of my SS....

Never thought I'd say this but I'm not sure i would consider purchasing again through SAI. :nonono:

would someone at SAI please step up to the plate, show some interest in your customers thoughts and concerns, and SAY SOMETHING?!?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Love the car but SAI has really been disappointing.

This forum is the perfect venue for communication between SAI and its loyal customers... Despite that, SAI won't say a peep about the REAL issues that we bring up here. ...not traction, not spark plugs, not strut tower brace. what a shame.

combine that with the numerous quality issues that needed to be fixed upon delivery of my SS....

Never thought I'd say this but I'm not sure i would consider purchasing again through SAI. :nonono:

would someone at SAI please step up to the plate, show some interest in your customers thoughts and concerns, and SAY SOMETHING?!?

I talked with bud at SAI he said 725kb Needs colder plugs. Ford racing 605hp Does not need Colder plugs. I also talked with ford racing to. They sad the same thing.

This is by no means an attempt to defame Quantum Performance. They are a Shelby Mod Shop. That says a lot.

While at the Texas Mile I met an unfortunate gentleman who blew his motor. He had a 725 Super Snake. He was running stock Motorcraft plugs. He was also running a lot of boost.

Today I had the pleasure of working with a guy who just recently acquired a used 2007 Alloy Metallic Super Snake. He's had the car 2 days and called me in a panic because it was misfiring and popping. He drove up to see me. I had a brand new set of TR6 Iridium Plugs gapped tight at .030 ready to go. He told me the car was built at Quantum. Unfortunately I pulled the plugs and they were the factory plugs.

We replaced the plugs and the car ran completely different.

Maybe I've hit two needles in the proverbial haystack. Maybe I have not. Maybe it was just one tech who didn't realize that they were supposed to be replaced. It's unfortunate but to error is human.

If you have a Super Snake with a Kenne Bell Supercharger I would suggest that you make sure that you have the correct spark plugs installed. The Motorcraft Platinum's do not provide a cold enough spark.

I am simply trying to reach out and inform any SS owner to check their plugs. It could be the motor you save today.

Quantum Performance is currently building my 2009 725 SS and I checked that the NGK TR6 plugs are part of the SS conversion. I just checked my build sheet for the post mods and I'm having a lot done to the motor; custom cams, full 3" JBA exhaust, cooling and brake up grades, Ford GT triple hat, billet fuel rails..... and a full Griggs susupension, watts link, 315 kit, the works ($$$$$$). Kenny and Mike at Quantum Performance insisted that a custom tune was needed and that additional tuning was paramount to put everything in balance. I'm also upgrading the clutch and blue prinitng the tranny along with a Strange 31 spline center section and axles. You need to know what you want and you need to pick a shop that knows what they're doing. The QP guys made sure that every change I've made was functional and needed for the car to perform to my high standards.

Kenny Northum runs a first class Shelby Mod Shop or they wouldn't be where they at with SAI. QP knows how to build a great Super Snake!

Quantum Performance is currently building my 2009 725 SS and I checked that the NGK TR6 plugs are part of the SS conversion. I just checked my build sheet for the post mods and I'm having a lot done to the motor; custom cams, full 3" JBA exhaust, cooling and brake up grades, Ford GT triple hat, billet fuel rails..... and a full Griggs susupension, watts link, 315 kit, the works ($$$). Kenny and Mike at Quantum Performance insisted that a custom tune was needed and that additional tuning was paramount to put everything in balance. I'm also upgrading the clutch and blue prinitng the tranny along with a Strange 31 spline center section and axles. You need to know what you want and you need to pick a shop that knows what they're doing. The QP guys made sure that every change I've made was functional and needed for the car to perform to my high standards.

Kenny Northum runs a first class Shelby Mod Shop or they wouldn't be where they at with SAI. QP knows how to build a great Super Snake!

Sounds like you have a MONSTER SS coming your way. I looks forward to seeing some pics when she's complete.

This is by no means an attempt to defame Quantum Performance. They are a Shelby Mod Shop. That says a lot.

While at the Texas Mile I met an unfortunate gentleman who blew his motor. He had a 725 Super Snake. He was running stock Motorcraft plugs. He was also running a lot of boost.

Today I had the pleasure of working with a guy who just recently acquired a used 2007 Alloy Metallic Super Snake. He's had the car 2 days and called me in a panic because it was misfiring and popping. He drove up to see me. I had a brand new set of TR6 Iridium Plugs gapped tight at .030 ready to go. He told me the car was built at Quantum. Unfortunately I pulled the plugs and they were the factory plugs.

We replaced the plugs and the car ran completely different.

Maybe I've hit two needles in the proverbial haystack. Maybe I have not. Maybe it was just one tech who didn't realize that they were supposed to be replaced. It's unfortunate but to error is human.

If you have a Super Snake with a Kenne Bell Supercharger I would suggest that you make sure that you have the correct spark plugs installed. The Motorcraft Platinum's do not provide a cold enough spark.

I am simply trying to reach out and inform any SS owner to check their plugs. It could be the motor you save today.

Van - I went to NAPA today to inquire about the NGK plugs. They carry TR6, but the guy said they are not Iridium plugs, and that he does not see TR6 Iridiums in the price sheet, only plain old TR6. Is there a unique/different part number for Iridium variety of the TR6? I found the number........TR6IX.

Here is a spark plug reference comparision that I found while researching these plugs...............

Plug: NGK TR6 (stock number 4177); NGK TR6IX (stock number 3689); Autolite 103; Denso IT-20 (stock number 5326)

The reference comparision also says that only the NGK IX and Denso IT are Iridium.

For those who are looking for a deal, here is a decent price in comparision to others I found on-line..............

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

WOW!! $50+ for 8 spark plugs!?!?

Robert

Van - I went to NAPA today to inquire about the NGK plugs. They carry TR6, but the guy said they are not Iridium plugs, and that he does not see TR6 Iridiums in the price sheet, only plain old TR6. Is there a unique/different part number for Iridium variety of the TR6?

I found them............TR6IX. I believe this number was mentioned earlier in this thread. For those of you who paid $2ea. for your TR6's, the TR6IX as recommended by KB run anywhere from $7.50 to $8.50 per plug on-line, so a -$20 investment in new spark plugs should really be $55-$65 investment to do this as KB recommends.

Here is a spark plug reference comparision that I found while researching these plugs...............

Plug: NGK TR6 (stock number 4177); NGK TR6IX (stock number 3689); Autolite 103; Denso IT-20 (stock number 5326)

The reference comparision also says that only the NGK IX and Denso IT are Iridium.

For those who are looking for a deal, here is a decent price in comparision to others I found on-line..............

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

WOW!! $50+ for 8 spark plugs!?!?

How much boost dose 725Kb produce?

Robert

How much boost does 725kb produce?

For some reason 16# keeps coming to mind, but I may be wrong. I don't remember for sure. Maybe it is 11#?? It may have been the "other" pulley from KB and the "other" tune and 16# that boosted the 725 Super Snake to 810 h.p., I don't remember.

R

I talked with bud at SAI he said 725kb Needs colder plugs. Ford racing 605hp Does not need Colder plugs. I also talked with ford racing to. They sad the same thing.

ISN'T THAT JUST GREAT---ONE INDIVIDUAL RELAYS AN ANSWER HE GOT ON A PROBLEM EFFECTING HUNDREDS OF OTHERS. DOES THAT MEAN WE ALL NEED TO CALL IN TO GET THE ANSWER ABOUT WHAT SEEMS TO BE A SERIOUS SCREW UP BY SAI OR KB.

CAN IT BE THAT SOME OF THE 725SS'S THAT BLEW UP WAS RELATED TO FAILURE TO INSTALL THE CORRECT SPARK PLUG?

CAN IT BE THAT ALL OF US WHO HAVE STRUGLED WITH 'LEAN CODES' AND 'MAF CODES' AND HAVE BEEN SENT SCREENS TO INSERT TO SLOW DOWN THE AIRFLOW OR BEEN TOLD TO BLOCK THE HOLES IN OUR HOODS WITH EVERYTHING FROM DUCT TAPE TO RAGS----THAT WE WERE REALLY DEALING WITH EQUIPTMENT THAT WAS NOT PROPERLY INSTALLED?

AFTER BUD TOLD YOU THE 725 NEEDED COLDER PLUGS DID HE SAY WHY THEY WERE NOT INSTALLED AS THE KB DOCUMENTATION STATES?

HISTORY WHICH WE KNOW ALWAYS REPEATES ITSELF SHOULD MAKE AT LEAST ONE PERSON--SOMEONE--ANYONE AT SAI REALIZE THAT SOME SORT OR ACKNOWLEDEMENT TO IT'S 725 OWNERS CUSTOMERS WHAT HAPPENED AND WHAT THE FIX IS.

WHAT WOULD THE EFFECT OF THE TUNE KB SENT SAI FOR EACH 725 IF THE PROPER PLUGS WERE NOT INSTALLED.

BOB

As I posted earlier, I went ahead and pulled a plug from my 725 hp SS on Sunday and it looked to be a standard Motorcraft/Ford plug :doh: . So...opened the hood on my GT500 and pulled a plug (as I know this is still the factory plug) and sure enough they match.....so looks like I'll be heading to the autoparts store this week and getting a set of the NGK's.

It really is a shame that SAI doesn't provide some input on this issue, especially as it seams to be more widespread then just one or two cars and there is a potential for serious engine damage.....

GT

As I posted earlier, I went ahead and pulled a plug from my 725 hp SS on Sunday and it looked to be a standard Motorcraft/Ford plug :doh: . So...opened the hood on my GT500 and pulled a plug (as I know this is still the factory plug) and sure enough they match.....so looks like I'll be heading to the autoparts store this week and getting a set of the NGK's.

It really is a shame that SAI doesn't provide some input on this issue, especially as it seams to be more widespread then just one or two cars and there is a potential for serious engine damage.....

GT

My local NAPA did not have the KB suggested TR6IX, but only the TR6's. You may also find the better deal on-line for the IX's as I have linked on the previous page of this thread (post #36), but be ready to open your wallet.......wide.

Let us know what you find locally, and especially the $$$ cost per plug.

R

Just checked my plugs today...NGK's were installed by SAI/Las Vegas. I'm not sure that it makes any difference that my car was ordered as a 40th anniversary with the Super Snake 725HP upgrade or not, perhaps a different assembly/mod department than the SS's.

I also noticed upon delivery of my car, that my take off parts included the original plugs...that is if they were actually mine and not someone elses (I did receive other parts that were from someone elses car other than mine) so just because you received some factory plugs with your take off parts, you may want to pull your plugs and check anyway. If it helps, my build date was June-November 2008.

Mark

how can someone plan this idea of upgrades and not cover all the basics.check off list would be a start.then a punchout list for followup.

I agree with you. It seems that SAI follows the "Fire, Aim, Ready" mentality to most product offerings...and follow through.

Well i checked my plugs and they were STOCK !!!

Craig Dean from Mustang Motorsport Australia swapped them out and re-set the tune with some decent race plugs.

He is now arranging to swap out the Plugs on the three other Super Snakes in Australia.

It appears to have being an after thought that was easily overlooked. I just wish Shelby had given us a call, and said hey maybe you guys want to change the plugs, i mean its no big deal to change them over !!!

Anyway, hopefully no damage done to most of us.

My best thoughts and wishes to any of you guys who got hurt by the plugs.

Thanks Van for bringing it to our attention.

Are we sure the 3689 stock number is the correct plug for our engine? There are many, and I cant verify which set to get. :headscratch:

I used Van's information in this thread. He said that KB says TR6 Iridium. Then there is also a mention of TR6IX which I fund to be the exact part number for the NGK Iridium variation of the TR6. When I put "TR6IX" in Google and did a search, I found quite a bit of info. about these TR6IX plugs as shown in my post #36 on the previous page. 3689 is the stock number shown for the TR6 Iridium plugs (TR6IX) as mentioned by Van. The best deal that I found was the eBay auction that I linked in my post #36.

R

I pulled a couple of plugs and I have NGK TR6. I am not sure if they are the Iridium variety (they say "V-Power" and "NGK R"), but either way, my plugs were changed to TR6's heat range at SAI.

Thank you Bud and the team who transformed my GT500 into a Super Snake.

Picture1655-1.jpg

Robert

I pulled a couple of plugs and I have NGK TR6. I am not sure if they are the Iridium variety (they say "V-Power" and "NGK R"), but either way, my plugs were changed to TR6's heat range at SAI.

Picture1655-1.jpg

Robert

I beleive the Irridium (IX) have a very fine main electrode, these appear to be standard TR6. Nothing wrong with that, they are the correct heat range.

...just wanted to remind everyone when pulling/swapping plugs to be sure to install using some anti-seize on the plug treads since the heads are Al.

and die-electric grease on the spark plug ceramic so the spark plug tubes/coil packs don't stick when removed in the future. I'll bet that would be fun, digging out a broken off/stuck spark plug tube so you can get to the plug for removal.

R

I beleive the Irridium (IX) have a very fine main electrode, these appear to be standard TR6. Nothing wrong with that, they are the correct heat range.

I believe you are right. I will have some comparision pictures when my IX's arrive this coming week.

But, the main thing is that TR6's were installed at SAI in my Super Snake.

R

Picture1655-1.jpg

Robert

Yep, that's what SAI installed in my SS, NGK TR6.

I used Van's information in this thread. He said that KB says TR6 Iridium. Then there is also a mention of TR6IX which I fund to be the exact part number for the NGK Iridium variation of the TR6. When I put "TR6IX" in Google and did a search, I found quite a bit of info. about these TR6IX plugs as shown in my post #36 on the previous page. 3689 is the stock number shown for the TR6 Iridium plugs (TR6IX) as mentioned by Van. The best deal that I found was the eBay auction that I linked in my post #36.

R

Thanks,

I went to Summit Racing, and there are many variations of the TR6IX according to them, and my problem with all the sites including the NGK site was that none of them had our engine or cars to select from. :headscratch:

However, I selected the Ford GT as an option at Summit Racing, and it confirmed your stock number so I went with that and ordered.

The eBay auction made no mention of stock number, so I wasnt taking chances of installing the wrong plugs...I have no earthly idea if the Z06 uses the same plugs as a GT500....but I doubt it. :shrug:

and die-electric grease on the spark plug ceramic so the spark plug tubes/coil packs don't stick when removed in the future. I'll bet that would be fun, digging out a broken off/stuck spark plug tube so you can get to the plug for removal.

R

+1

+1

I am going to have to look at these coil packs again. I may be mistaken about the boot and die-electric grease. This design may not have a boot that slips over the ceramic portion of the plug, but instead only a connection to the tip of the plug.

R

Thanks,

I went to Summit Racing, and there are many variations of the TR6IX according to them, and my problem with all the sites including the NGK site was that none of them had our engine or cars to select from. :headscratch:

However, I selected the Ford GT as an option at Summit Racing, and it confirmed your stock number so I went with that and ordered.

The eBay auction made no mention of stock number, so I wasnt taking chances of installing the wrong plugs...I have no earthly idea if the Z06 uses the same plugs as a GT500....but I doubt it. :shrug:

My guess is that this is a Z06 plug, but I do not know that for sure. These plugs will probably not show up under any GT500 listing since a KB did not come as a regular production blower on a GT500. These plugs, according to Van's KB paperwork are what KB recommends for the GT500 w/their blower.

R

HAD MINE DONE IN VEGAS ON 5-7-2008. MY INVOICE DOES NOT SHOW ANY SPARK PLUGS. WILL CHECK THE CAR TO SEE WHATS THERE.

WONDER WHAT THAT MORON 'BOOKENDS' THAT CALLED ALL SS OWNERS "IDOITS" ON THE TRACTION THREAD THINKS ABOUT THE LIABILITY ON THIS ISSUE. WITH HIS SELF PROCLAIMED AND OBVIOUSLY SHALLOW EXPERTISE ON LIABILITY BEING THE REASON SAI DIDN'T PUT BETTER WHEELS ON A 735HP CAR.

BOB

This moron did not call all SS owners idiots. Sorry to anyone who took it that way.

This moron says that if SAI or the mod shops did not follow manufactuer's specifications (KB specifications or installation instructions), did not install spark plugs specified by KB and an engine blows-up because of detonation or anything else related to the spark plug not being changed, then SAI and the mode shops will have the liability to fix or replace any damage caused as a result.

I will take it one step further. I am not an expert on spark plugs...this statement is only based on the letter of the specification. If KB specifies NGK TR6 Iridium spark plugs and SAI installs non-Iridium spark plugs there is potential liability for SAI. SAI should follow KB's installation instructions exactly.

Kenne Bell specifies a colder spark range and mentions NGK TR6 and Denso Spark Plugs in the installation guideline. I mentioned TR6 IX or Iridiums as this is what I use. If I made a confusing statement the KB specifies the TR6 Iridium spark plug I apologize. However, they do clearly indicate that they like the gap at .032 in the installation instructions.

Archived