TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Tires for the Shelby Dakota

BobsShelbyDakota

I am wondering about the tires, I see the brochure I have lists them as Goodyear Eagle GT+4 tires (P255/75 HR 15). I checked with "Discount Tire" here in Las Vegas and they are listed but not available here. He could not tell me whether they are still manufactured. Does anyone know or do we just get something that looks close?

Bob

I am wondering about the tires, I see the brochure I have lists them as Goodyear Eagle GT+4 tires (P255/75 HR 15). I checked with "Discount Tire" here in Las Vegas and they are listed but not available here. He could not tell me whether they are still manufactured. Does anyone know or do we just get something that looks close?

Bob

Bob the S/Dak came with P225/70/15 Eagle GT+4 tires which have not been available for years.

The closest tire Goodyear currently makes is the Eagle GT II. They run around $80-90 each.

Steve

Bob the S/Dak came with P225/70/15 Eagle GT+4 tires which have not been available for years.

The closest tire Goodyear currently makes is the Eagle GT II. They run around $80-90 each.

Steve

That is what Discount tire told me, even though the tread and white letters are different. So, it seems it would be next to impossible to restore a truck that is exact out of the factory.

That is what Discount tire told me, even though the tread and white letters are different. So, it seems it would be next to impossible to restore a truck that is exact out of the factory.

Correct. Although the tread and sidewall letters are different using the GT II's at least keeps the spirit of Goodyear Eagles on the truck.

The Shelby Dodge cars are in the same boat. The Goodyear "Gatorbacks" have been discontinued for many years so they have to compromise on replacement tires.

Now you can be a pack-rat like me and have a set of NOS GT+4's in storage but those will someday only be used for car shows as I wouldn't want to be driving on 20-25 year old rubber.

Steve

PS- The Shelby Dakota's used the same OWL GT+4 tire as the spare. Although the spare is a regular steel wheel you can always stick your head up underneath the trucks you are looking at to see if the GT+4 spare is still there.

Correct. Although the tread and sidewall letters are different using the GT II's at least keeps the spirit of Goodyear Eagles on the truck.

The Shelby Dodge cars are in the same boat. The Goodyear "Gatorbacks" have been discontinued for many years so they have to compromise on replacement tires.

Now you can be a pack-rat like me and have a set of NOS GT+4's in storage but those will someday only be used for car shows as I wouldn't want to be driving on 20-25 year old rubber.

Steve

PS- The Shelby Dakota's used the same OWL GT+4 tire as the spare. Although the spare is a regular steel wheel you can always stick your head up underneath the trucks you are looking at to see if the GT+4 spare is still there.

That S/Dak in the boneyard had a spare tire but the yard raises the vehicle and places them on welded steel wheels and it was placed right on the spare tire and wheel thus damaging it. I have seen a few GT+4's on E-bay but they look old. I am a pack rat also, one of the bedrooms in my house is full of Dodge Shelby and plain Dodge parts from the 80's.

Steve, I hope that "Someday" comes soon for those NOS tires!

Bob

Archived