TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aluminum KR Differential Cover..?

oldlugs

Robert, the KR cover IS the Explorer/Mountaineer cover, albeit cut....

I know it is. I was saying that if I remember correctly, there are some differences in the earlier Explorer/Mountaineer cover and the replacement covers that were made more recently. It may even be a production cover that actually came off of an Explorer/Mountaineer and a replacement cover ordered after the fact that are different. I believe the fill and drain plug size changed on at least one of the plugs............I think I noticed this in a picture a couple of years ago.

^^^Other than that possible difference, yes even my original KR does show signs of where it had been modified from original Explorer/Mountaineer configuration.

I though you were wanting close-up pictures of my original to see how the people at Ford (or the people who did this for Ford) had finished this cover after it had been modified.

The date code cast into the rear of the cover will be the only identifier for a correct original or a replacement/non-original cover for a KR.

R

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know it is. I was saying that if I remember correctly, there are some differences in the earlier Explorer/Mountaineer cover and the replacement covers that were made more recently. It may even be a production cover that actually came off of an Explorer/Mountaineer and a replacement cover ordered after the fact that are different. I believe the fill and drain plug size changed on at least one of the plugs............I think I noticed this in a picture a couple of years ago.

^^^Other than that possible difference, yes even my original KR does show signs of where it had been modified from original Explorer/Mountaineer configuration.

I though you were wanting close-up pictures of my original to see how the people at Ford (or the people who did this for Ford) had finished this cover after it had been modified.

The date code cast into the rear of the cover will be the only identifier for a correct original or a replacement/non-original cover for a KR.

R

Robert, all of that is right here in this thread on the previous pages. Part numbers, early vs late Explorer/Mountaineer covers, etc! :)

ON EDIT:

Thanks for the additional photos. Looks like whever did the work was a little "rougher" than I previously thought. The work looks to have been done by hand based on the fact that the flange face isn't square where ground.

Robert, all of that is right here in this thread on the previous pages. Part numbers, early vs late Explorer/Mountaineer covers, etc! :)

ON EDIT:

Thanks for the additional photos. Looks like whever did the work was a little "rougher" than I previously thought. The work looks to have been done by hand based on the fact that the flange face isn't square where ground.

Looks like Blayne did a much better job on the modification on mine. Very surprised the time was not taken to sand out the cut marks.

036.jpg

035.jpg

033.jpg

047.jpg

049.jpg

051.jpg

Looks like Blayne did a much better job on the modification on mine. Very surprised the time was not taken to sand out the cut marks.

036.jpg

035.jpg

033.jpg

047.jpg

049.jpg

051.jpg

I mean this as a joke, but maybe the same people who did the modifications on the Explorer/Mountaineer and finished it for the KR application also did the KR axle reservoir??

Your axle assy. looks Nice!

R

ON EDIT:

Yes, I just realized that when I scanned back to the beginning of this thread. This may have been the thread where I first saw the larger drain plug.............2-3 years ago.

The area that has been modded on the original cover does show the scratches, there was no where near the time taken on the oem KR cover as was taken on Grabbers cover.

R

Archived