TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aluminum KR Differential Cover..?

oldlugs

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the Corral thread I linked...

From what I can tell and know of the industry (I work in it), it is a pre-production diff cover for the 2011 Mustang. It is rare today, but it will be very common in a few months. The parts were probably leftover from the pre-production vehicle build. He was told to scrap them. Rather than scrap them he took them home and sold them on E-Bay. His boss (or somebody who cares) found out what he did and if he doesn't produce the parts he is fired and or criminally charged.

Sounds this cover will be available soon, along with other potential improvements to the 8.8" axle in the S197 chassis. The 2011 Mustang (GT or GT500) is sounding like a hell of a car...

Tob

Like that threaded plug could ever come loose... :hysterical:

When I removed mine for detailing I was shocked at how tight they were. No breaker bar necessary, but the torque figure Ford uses here had me nervous that the aluminum would fracture.

Last year one of the members here posted pic's of his KR rear end and H-pipe. I saved the pic's.

Is this the KR cover that you guys are talking about?

It looks pretty darn cool !!!

I wonder how many of the KR's got this cover installed on them?

DSC00163.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg

Is this the KR cover that you guys are talking about?

Of all the guys that I would have figured to have followed this thread and then jumped on it for themselves, Rob, you'd have been one of them. Try going through this thread from the beginning, as I think you'll find it an interesting ride.

Tob

• 1 year later...

Blayne is selling 'em on eBay. If you want already modified and ready to bolt on, check 'em out:

KR diff cover

I guess his cost on these recently went up..? They were about $30 cheaper a week or two ago.

I talked to Blayne the other day. Ford is charging more for them, so his cost went up.

Blayne is selling 'em on eBay. If you want already modified and ready to bolt on, check 'em out:

KR diff cover

I guess his cost on these recently went up..? They were about $30 cheaper a week or two ago.

I have only been selling the modified cover for Fays2 on ebay but don't have a problem making a straight KR style upon request. I can also sell a straight KR style a little less money than the ones on ebay. Rob mentioned that I had to pay more for my last batch from Ford. I could cut cost by using non-factory hardware and not donating 10% but I won't. I mainly make them because they serve a good purpose for the purchaser and MS. I used to just donate a little cash every year and this is a way for me to give more to MS.

I had the opertunity to buy the newer finned GT500 cover at a good price, but they are a dime a dozen, the KR covers are more special IMO and they are fill to spill, no guess work and have a magnetic drain plug. I'm keeping the KR cover modified for Fays2 on mine.

Here is some pix of the first one I made for my GT500, I learned a few trix along the way and new ones are even better. The key here is safe clearance between the Fays2 propeller bolt and the cover, without having to install the propeller bolt in backwards. I had the low clearance FRPP cover on my car with Fays2 and found the KR cover is better for several reasons.

post-5223-0-82018800-1299887939_thumb.jpg

post-5223-0-10033600-1299887975_thumb.jpg

post-5223-0-82829400-1299888003_thumb.jpg

post-5223-0-82018800-1299887939_thumb.jpg

post-5223-0-10033600-1299887975_thumb.jpg

post-5223-0-82829400-1299888003_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

That's crazy!! I think the guy should sell it back and just get the $100 back. I wouldn't want anyone to go to jail, because i didn't give it back. If he took this from Ford and it was confidential item, he will lose his job anyway. Great post!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Or you may want to look at a factory 2013 Ford GT500/Boss 302 cover. Similar but has fins for cooling, same fill plugs etc. Decent price from Ford if you don't have to have a KR one.

That's an excellent suggestion. While the latest finned covers from Ford are much thinner, the fins are much larger and the bigger surface area is exactly what you should be considering if maximum cooling potential is what you are looking for (in addition to drain and fill plugs). Making a cover to fit the GT500 from old Explorer/Mountaineer covers sure was fun though!

From 2005 http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23526&highlight=cover+rear+access

From 2009 http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/svt-shelby-gt500-150/653880-modifying-explorer-aluminum-cover-fit-any-8-8-a.html

Man, how time flies!

I bought this original GT500KR cover from a Dodge dealer on eBay about 2 years ago............

0025-1.jpg

The dealership had taken in a GT500KR in trade, this cover and its original fasteners were in a Ford Racing G2 girdle box in the trunk. A person at the dealership removed the FRPP G2 box and sold me the cover on eBay............$75 including shipping didn't seem too bad for a correct original, correct dated GT500KR diff. cover.

My original 2008 GT500 cover with the Shelby Mod Shop technician markings from the Super Snake upgrade is shown on the left. Looks like he was from N.Y., a Yankees fan?

R

Robert, can you provide any detailed shots of the Explorer/Mountaineer/KR/Hybrid/lol cover? I'd be interested to see how much effort was put into cutting the ribs down on each side...

I can take closer pictures of this KR cover. I do not have the newer Explorer/Mountaineer cover for photo's. I think the newer covers have different size drain and fill plugs? or at least one is different I think?

I have this KR cover packed away but I think I can get it out sometime this weekend. If I remember correctly, the fins that were cut are pretty smooth. At first glance it does not even look like it was modified from another cover, but when I looked a little closer I could see some marks, like file makes to finish it after it was cut. The black paint may have also hidden some of the modified metal surfaces.

R

Archived