TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aluminum KR Differential Cover..?

oldlugs

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I finished the cover up this afternoon. I'll update when I get a chance to put it on.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/9091670-post21.html

I wonder how much the total fluid capacity changes? Here's how I'm doing it, with the front plug off, fill to (1/4-9/16 in) below the fill hole with the axle at ride height, then simply see where the fluid is in relation to the cover fill plug for future reference. I'm having some plugs machined next week and will sell them after testing.

At least you were able to get the bolts. Tob, do you by chance know the P/N for the red sealer that Ford uses on the plugs?

Thanks for your work towards helping fellow Mustang enthusiasts.

Edit for fill level

At least you were able to get the bolts.

Actually, they could only get me 8 of the 10 bolts as they are on national backorder. The other two bolts should be in next week.

Tob, do you by chance know the P/N for the red sealer that Ford uses on the plugs?

Hmm, I don't know the Ford number. I can tell you this, they are torqued very tight from the factory. I plan on just using a Teflon sealant, but I'll try to see what my dealer has the next time I pay them a visit.

Thanks for the thanks. This has been a lot of fun. I really enjoyed it.

Tob

• 2 weeks later...

do you by chance know the P/N for the red sealer that Ford uses on the plugs?

The tranny section of the Ford Shop Manual advises applying threadlock sealer on the tranny drain plug that meet the following spec:

Threadlock and Sealer TA-25 Specification WSK-M2G351-A5. I don't know whether it's the same stuff used on the fill hole of the pumpkin.

I just use yellow Teflon tape, the kind for natural gas applications, on the fill plug and on my axle girdle plugs.

This one is trimmed for a Fays2 Watts Link and the vent hole was welded closed. Wish I was better a taking pix of black objects.

Looks absolutely superb, Blayne. Nice work!

It looks like you contoured the horizontal ribs and knocked them down a bit more than I did. That makes the cover look even better. So, out of curiosity, did you use a sawzall to cut down the ribs first or did you just sand them all the way down?

And btw, for better photos on glossy objects, turn the flash off if you can...

Tob

Looks absolutely superb, Blayne. Nice work!

It looks like you contoured the horizontal ribs and knocked them down a bit more than I did. That makes the cover look even better. So, out of curiosity, did you use a sawzall to cut down the ribs first or did you just sand them all the way down?

And btw, for better photos on glossy objects, turn the flash off if you can...

Tob

Thanks Tob, during sanding, a flaw in the casting poped through where the rib meets the flange that needed to be welded too. The friend that did the welding also suggested sanding the horizontal ribs further for a better match and asked to do it, pretty sure he used a high speed to kock em down further. I will ask today. Here is a better pix of how the horizontal ribs are trimmed for the Fays2. I'll pass your complement to my buddy. The darn thing does look good.

Blayne

post-5223-126096402581_thumb.jpg

post-5223-126096402581_thumb.jpg

Two covers!? Are you going into production, Blayne? :yup:

Did your guy Tig an aluminum plug into the breather hole before sanding it down? And you had posted earlier about having some plugs made. What did you mean?

Tob

I wonder how many would be interested for one of these "KR'd" covers at $120 per, with bolts, thread sealant, and RTV included...

Did your guy Tig an aluminum plug into the breather hole before sanding it down? And you had posted earlier about having some plugs made. What did you mean?

Tob

I wonder how many would be interested for one of these "KR'd" covers at $120 per, with bolts, thread sealant, and RTV included...

PM on the way

Tob

I'd say anybody interested in this "KR's" cover at $120 with bolts, should buy a few of them. :hysterical:

In the interest of KR owners with a Fays2 Watts Link, this is a really nice modification with just a couple minutes of trim work. Great mod for the KR owners that that didn't get the cover from Shelby or KR owner that doesn't want to mdify the original cover.

I couldn't be happier with how mine fits with a Fays2, clearances are better than using a stock FRPP cover.

It's a bonus doing it yourself.

Edit: The differential holds quite a bit more fluid with the KR'd cover, a hair under 2.5 qts compared to less than 2 qts with stock cover. With more fluid to expand, the KR Axle Reservoir is a good idea.

This one is trimmed for a Fays2 Watts Link and the vent hole was welded closed. Wish I was better a taking pix of black objects.

Mission accomplished

Mr LuckySnake , can you e-mail some better pics of the cut outs on the cover for the Fays2 Watts link? Your last two pics can't be seen that well. I have the new parts and after the first of the year I'm painting my butt and installing the Fays2 .

eparts@elmhursttoyota.com

Mr LuckySnake , can you e-mail some better pics of the cut outs on the cover for the Fays2 Watts link? Your last two pics can't be seen that well. I have the new parts and after the first of the year I'm painting my butt and installing the Fays2 .

eparts@elmhursttoyota.com

Hello Curt, the 1st pix is with the cover off should give you a good idea how much to trim for the Fays2. The 2nd pix is view from bottom passenger side looking up and the 3rd pix is drivers side looking up. Hope this helps.

post-5223-126109456852_thumb.jpg

post-5223-126109459465_thumb.jpg

post-5223-126109461808_thumb.jpg

I finally finished.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/9152064-post40.html

Edit: The differential holds quite a bit more fluid with the KR'd cover, a hair under 2.5 qts compared to less than 2 qts with stock cover. With more fluid to expand, the KR Axle Reservoir is a good idea.

We both reached the same conclusion regarding fill level with this cover! Funny, as I was thinking the exact same thing about fluid exiting the vent as well. I'll be adding the KR reservoir soon too.

Good job Blayne.

Tob

I finally finished.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/9152064-post40.html

We both reached the same conclusion regarding fill level with this cover! Funny, as I was thinking the exact same thing about fluid exiting the vent as well. I'll be adding the KR reservoir soon too.

Good job Blayne.

Tob

Thank you Tob, I didn't find any cost savings on the fluid at AutoZone over the Motorcraft fluid available at the Ford dealer, just about the same price.

It's good to know that using the "fill to spill" on modified Explorer cover will get you the proper fill level, so much easier than trying to use the forward differential fill plug and trying to end up with 1/4 - 9/16" below plug :banghead: This is great info for anybody using this syle cover on thier mustang. I was as carefull as could be and still had to pull some fluid back out, next fluid change is fill to spill using the cover's plugs.

I would like to say Thank you to "oldlugs" for bringing this subject to light and to you, for your excellent write up and photos. :shift:

...I would like to say Thank you to "oldlugs" for bringing this subject to light and to you, for your excellent write up and photos. :shift:

Thanks goes to all our forum member who have responded, and especially Tob for doing the research! ...I just had the question. :)

Back at ya Duane!

Next up, in the category of unexplained GT500KR parts and memorabilia... :superhero:

- The intake seal that CS installed when they added FRPP's 113mm CAI. Shelby added FRPP's kit, but also added an additional seal (I assume to seal off the unique KR CF hood) that FRPP does not include in their kit. Look closely at the photo below

post-23237-126133176524_thumb.jpg

Did Shelby have a run of these made by a contractor or did FRPP take care of that and supply FRPP with them along with the 113mm CAI? Also, I see a sticker with a Ford tag on it affixed to the driver's side strut tower. It differs from the CARB sticker FRPP supplies with their CAI that is used for CARB exemption proof. I'd appreciate it if anyone could get a square shot of the sticker, up close!

Anyway, the seal is not available from Ford Parts and Service. If any of you KR guys ever change your air filter or upgrade your mass air tube, please take some shots of the seal. There are no photos of it shown on its own anywhere!

- The other one is the recalibrated ABS module that CS used on the KR. Was it a simple software change via a reflash, or was it a hardware change via an entirely different module. I wonder if it is the FR500S module...

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=10375

Same thing. If a KR owner could document the part number on the module, I'd appreciate it.

Anyone? :camera:

Tob

post-23237-126133176524_thumb.jpg

...Next up, in the category of unexplained GT500KR parts and memorabilia...

Hey then... I've got a question about the air filter used on the KR's CAI. In pictures, I often see a blue colored filter, yet my KR came with a filter that looks very much like a K&N (was still reddish-brown when I got it), complete with the wire screen on the outside. Anyone else have one like that, or did your KR come with the blue filter? Is that blue one a cloth or paper type, or does it also have a wire mesh screen over the filter medium..? Just curious. :)

Hey then... I've got a question about the air filter used on the KR's CAI. In pictures, I often see a blue colored filter, yet my KR came with a filter that looks very much like a K&N (was still reddish-brown when I got it), complete with the wire screen on the outside. Anyone else have one like that, or did your KR come with the blue filter? Is that blue one a cloth or paper type, or does it also have a wire mesh screen over the filter medium..? Just curious. :)

Mine is of the same description as yours, except it came blue. I used a K & N filter cleaning kit to make it red. This style lasts the life of the car if handled correctly.

post-5223-126139414901_thumb.jpg

post-5223-126139414901_thumb.jpg

the seal came from ford racing and the ABS was a Reflash

Interesting. If I can take that response one step further...was the seal included inside the CAI box or were they shipped separately from FRPP?

Tob

Remember this cover I had posted about a while back?

post-23237-126184885331_thumb.jpg

post-23237-126184886723_thumb.jpg

Well, I mentioned the eBay link to an engineer at FRPP (who coincidentally lives in the same town as the seller). His response?

"Maybe I should buy it just to find out who it is. What is even more odd is he has 2 currently for sale and he's already sold one. That and he's "Mopar578".

I have seen various (prototype) cast aluminum covers for GT500's but most of the ones that I have seen have a little "scoop" that hangs down and diverts air up past the fins."

I even contacted the seller...

Dear mopar578,

This cover doesn't make sense. I own a GT500 and have never heard or seen mention of this cover - anywhere. Every 2010 GT500 I have seen has a steel cover. I also notice there is no part number either. Was this a prototype? Was this off your car?

- Tob

His response?

Dear Tob,

You will see this soon, maybe not untill 2011. The axle is getting other upgrades also. thanks

- mopar578

Fast forward to two days ago...

http://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1187103

Yikes!!

post-23237-126184885331_thumb.jpg

post-23237-126184886723_thumb.jpg

Archived