TEAM SHELBY FORUM

RIP Sir Schnitzel Stretch Phipps

About 1:30am last night my dachshund passed away. It is really hard as it was the first dog that I have had to be there for when they went. He was only 6 years old and was a great dog. I am going to miss him snuggling in the back of my legs under the covers at night. Most of all I had to come up with a story for my almost three year old this morning. They played together incessently since my other dog is too big to play with him (110 pound german shephard how doesn't know she's that size). The first thing he said this morning was to ask if he was still sick and if he could check on him :(. Please watch for diahrrea and vomiting. Apparently the vet said there is a virus going around that has been causing dogs to die within 24 hours of dehydration. He was wagging his tail and walking around an hour before he passed. Hug your pets tonight!!!!

Roger

I am extremely sorry for your loss.

This is kind of strange that you mention that a dog virus is going around. We were watching our neighbors 13 year old dog Malibua while they were on vacation and after two weeks she started to look really thin and her breathing became very difficult so I mentioned this to them and their son came by and brought Malibu into the vet and they said she had only 10% lung function left and that she should be put to sleep so they decided that it would be the best thing for her. I was shocked that Malibu went down hill so fast it was like only 2 or 3 days of her looking rough. I figured she had caught some virus but nobody really knew exactly what happened. There was diarrhea in our basement for about 3 days before she was put down I wasn't sure if the diarrhea was from our dog Pukka or if it was Malibu but now after reading your post I am sure it was Malibu and she must have got a virus.

Did they tell you the name of the virus?

I hope your little one won't be too sad...... Take care this is a really hard thing to go through.

Deeply sorry for your loss Mach 1. I did hear something on NBC Nightly News a few weeks ago about about a virus that was killing dogs, but I can't recall the specifics of it.

Regardless of the cause, the loss must be quite painful.

Again, I extend my deepest condolances to you and your family for your loss.

I am extremely sorry for your loss.

This is kind of strange that you mention that a dog virus is going around. We were watching our neighbors 13 year old dog Malibua while they were on vacation and after two weeks she started to look really thin and her breathing became very difficult so I mentioned this to them and their son came by and brought Malibu into the vet and they said she had only 10% lung function left and that she should be put to sleep so they decided that it would be the best thing for her. I was shocked that Malibu went down hill so fast it was like only 2 or 3 days of her looking rough. I figured she had caught some virus but nobody really knew exactly what happened. There was diarrhea in our basement for about 3 days before she was put down I wasn't sure if the diarrhea was from our dog Pukka or if it was Malibu but now after reading your post I am sure it was Malibu and she must have got a virus.

Did they tell you the name of the virus?

I hope your little one won't be too sad...... Take care this is a really hard thing to go through.

His breathing was very labored right before the end. I don't know if the dehydration caused a heart attack or stroke. Apparently the dehydration causes the blood to be devoid of liquid and essentially clogs. He was only sick for 24 hours. He was still drinking water and eating. He just was puking everything up. We thought it was just a 24 hour bug or something. She did not mention the name but I was pretty torn up. It was very sudden and he was young so it was totally unexpected. He was still breathing when I left the house and the Doggy ER was five minutes away. His heart stopped sometime in between because the doc says his heart had stopped. I was talking to him the whole way. His head was jerking like a siezure when I ran in so I thought he was still there, but apparently not :(.

Respectfully,

Roger

Deeply sorry for your loss Mach 1. I did hear something on NBC Nightly News a few weeks ago about about a virus that was killing dogs, but I can't recall the specifics of it.

Regardless of the cause, the loss must be quite painful.

Again, I extend my deepest condolances to you and your family for your loss.

Thank you, it means a lot. It's my first so it was pretty tough. The questions from my three year old were pretty tough. My wife and I had a pretty good cry when I got home. She actually woke him up last night crying before I got home. I thought about him all day today. We decided to have him cremated by himself and we will spread his ashes. We didn't want to bury him in the back yard because we have a lot of wild animals around. It was just sad we didn't have more time to do something for him. They didn't do any bloodwork because he was already gone when I got there. :(

Roger

Sorry Roger, I know what it's like to lose a pet, but when it happens like that it's so much worse. Take care and spend time with little guy, he'll have a lot of questions.

Thanks Doug,

The good news is it happened while he was asleep. I explained to him that he had to stay with the doctor because daddy couldn't make him better. I had to explain to him it would be forever. He understands but it will come up again. He talked alot about how he was his friend and that he was sad. Really broke my heart. I had to be strong and not show any emotion for him though. I wish we could have done more :( Thank you for very much for the well wishes!!!

Respectfully,

Roger

Sorry to hear of your loss. I am a dog lover and know too well what you are going thru right now. Deepest wishes to you and your family.

Thank you Brian, it is greatly appreciated. Even my mom got torn up about it. She never has like dogs as she was bitten by a rabid German Shephard when she was little, but she loved Schnitzel.

Roger

We are very sorry to hear of your loss. As dog lovers, we understand that they are part of the family and losing one is very hard to deal with. We lost our 15 year old Jack Russel not to long ago and it is very hard. Best wishes....

Leann

We are very sorry to hear of your loss. As dog lovers, we understand that they are part of the family and losing one is very hard to deal with. We lost our 15 year old Jack Russel not to long ago and it is very hard. Best wishes....

Leann

Thank you Leann and I am sorry to hear about your Jack Russel!!! E-hugs to you.

Respectfully,

Roger

Archived