TEAM SHELBY FORUM

aftermarket water pump

Who's using one? Who builds them? What are the cons of installing one?

The only 2 I've found are the Meziere electric pump and the EMP Stewart high flow mechanical pump.

Both of these seem to have their advantages. The EMP Stewart pump flows more GPM and is built with higher quality parts over the OEM pump (billet stainless impeller, low friction bearings, etc). The electric pump will eliminate the parasitic HP loss from having to pull the water pump pulley, freeing up 10-15 HP (advertised). I'm hesitant, however, to go with an electric pump, only because I've never had one in the past and it seems like it might be more likely to fail than a traditional mechanical pump. Any input is much appreciated.

EMP Stewart pump

Meziere pump

603-STE50046L_175.jpg

imagesrpm990254.jpg

Who's using one? Who builds them? What are the cons of installing one?

The only 2 I've found are the Meziere electric pump and the EMP Stewart high flow mechanical pump.

Both of these seem to have their advantages. The EMP Stewart pump flows more GPM and is built with higher quality parts over the OEM pump (billet stainless impeller, low friction bearings, etc). The electric pump will eliminate the parasitic HP loss from having to pull the water pump pulley, freeing up 10-15 HP (advertised). I'm hesitant, however, to go with an electric pump, only because I've never had one in the past and it seems like it might be more likely to fail than a traditional mechanical pump. Any input is much appreciated.

EMP Stewart pump

Meziere pump

603-STE50046L_175.jpg

imagesrpm990254.jpg

Stay with the Stewart Pump, lot more reliable.

^ OK man I gotta agree with you. I just got this guy on order from Steeda. I'll post a couple pics when it arrives.

The only reason I'm considering this upgrade at this time is because my engine is out and my OEM pump has just under 40k miles on it.

It seems like an obvious candidate for replacement, let alone upgrade. :)

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

My new water pump finally arrived from Steeda. It's an OEM quality piece (from the outside anyway). As you can see in the pics, the impeller vanes are longer than those on the original pump. Also, the new pump has a total of 8 vanes and the original pump has a total of 7. Interestingly, this pump not only fits 05-09 MGT's but also 96-mid 01 Mustang GT's.

DSC01651.jpg

DSC01649.jpg

DSC01650.jpg

My new water pump finally arrived from Steeda. It's an OEM quality piece (from the outside anyway). As you can see in the pics, the impeller vanes are longer than those on the original pump. Also, the new pump has a total of 8 vanes and the original pump has a total of 7. Interestingly, this pump not only fits 05-09 MGT's but also 96-mid 01 Mustang GT's.

DSC01651.jpg

DSC01649.jpg

DSC01650.jpg

Cast vanes versus stamped steel - ya done good!

Sam

Thanks Sam! I'm very impressed with the quality of this EMP Stewart pump over the OEM pump. I had never heard of these guys before but they came highly recommended from lots of SN-95 guys, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Can't wait to have a motor to put this little guy on. :shift:

Ken

Archived