TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MMR forged 5.0 stroker build

The short block is finally complete and back home. Here are some shots of how it looks. As you can see, I opted to have the block and timing cover painted black. With the black FRPP intake and some black powdercoated cam covers, I think it'll look pretty sharp against the vista blue engine bay. I really just wanted to make it obvious that the engine had been out of the car I guess, hence the paint job.

The heads are still 2-3 weeks out. I'll keep the thread posted with any new pics. And yeah Ty, you know I'll be filling the forum full of video clips of this thing once it's up and running! :lol:

Ken

DSC00241.jpg

DSC00243.jpg

DSC00239.jpg

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And miss out on all the fun I've had?! ;)

Beautiful shortblock, almost makes me want to blow mine up and start over, really like the paint job.

Read this somewhere:

If you want it cheap and fast it won't be good.

If you want it cheap and good, it won't be fast.

If you want it good and fast, it won't be cheap.

Beautiful shortblock, almost makes me want to blow mine up and start over, really like the paint job.

Read this somewhere:

If you want it cheap and fast it won't be good.

If you want it cheap and good, it won't be fast.

If you want it good and fast, it won't be cheap.

Thanks a lot man. Your build is one of the few that I've really admired, so I'm happy to hear you say that.

And I like that saying a lot - it's 100% accurate.

Ken

^Thanks a lot man!

Just heard from my builder last night my heads will be finished this week. Also, I finally got an email back from Comp's warranty claim department saying that they had completed their review and to contact them asap. I'll post the results of my conversation with them on Monday. Now that the heads are nearing completion, all I have left to worry about are the cams, clutch upgrade, and engine install.

Ken

Comp approved my claim and is sending me a free set of replacement cams. They said, however, that the cams that I sent to them are not soft and tested out fine. They told me that I had either a cam follower problem or an oil pressure problem.

Ken

Comp approved my claim and is sending me a free set of replacement cams. They said, however, that the cams that I sent to them are not soft and tested out fine. They told me that I had either a cam follower problem or an oil pressure problem.

Ken

Dammit man, it's been so long you will have forgotten how to heel-toe!

Hope it gets up and running soon.

Van

hurry hurry i want to hear it

Just waiting on my heads buddy!

Dammit man, it's been so long you will have forgotten how to heel-toe!

Hope it gets up and running soon.

Van

Hell, I may need a minute to remember how to start the thing! :lol:

On a side note, I've been seriously looking into the billet cam followers from Jesel. These little beauties would set me back a couple grand.

However, Comp isn't the first source to express concern to me about the ability of the OEM followers to do the job. Does anyone here have an opinion on adding aftermarket cam followers? Any experience with Jesel?

http://jesel.com/ind...p?categoryid=11

Ford_Followers.jpg

oil pan looks great ken as far as the followers go i would think them a good idea. i may have to go with a milder cam as i dont plan on spending that much right now maybe ill just do the headers, cat delete, and plate delete this year. (i realy want another bike "buell ullysse" :spend: )

I picked my Moroso high capacity oil pan up today from the powder coater. The aluminum was stained badly and nobody could get it cleaned, so I decided to have it sprayed instead.

I think it turned out awesome.

You still have your arm support bar? Cause my BMR fit with the Moroso pan, pictures tomorrow

Thanks for keeping us up to speed

Andrew

^Yeah Andrew I've still got the FRPP bar and it cleared fine too. Glad to hear your BMR brace fits too.

I installed the pan today, but not without a hitch. The pickup tube was too long, causing an interference with the bottom of the pan. What was perplexing, however, was that I'm using a brand new pickup tube, but one that is identical to the one I was using before the rebuild. Upon closer inspection, I found that there was a ring worn into the very bottom of the high capacity pan from the pickup tube rubbing against it for months.

I paid to have this pan installed originally, because I couldn't see myself hoisting the engine and dropping the K-member, just to install an oil pan. I'm wondering now though whether it was realized at that time that the pickup was causing an interference with the new, slightly more shallow pan. This seems to confirm what the guys at Comp told me on the phone earlier this week - that the problem wasn't with the cam but rather a lack of lubrication in the valvetrain. With the pickup resting right on the bottom of the pan, it would have a very difficult time sucking up enough oil to keep the pump fed. A clearance of at least 1/4" is required between the pickup and bottom of the pan.

Anyway, I'm glad that at least I realized this now and not after I got it started up again. To correct it, I made a slight modification to the hex pickup tube nut that screws into the top of one of the main studs. I put it in a vise and with a bandsaw chopped about 3/8" off the end of it, then cleaned it up with my bench grinder. I screwed it back into the main stud, then put a thin nut on the end of the bolt that threads into the opposite end of the pickup tube nut (to keep the bolt from bottoming out against the main stud inside the hex pickup tube nut). After bolting down the pickup tube to the modified hex nut, I found that it had sucked it up about 3/8" closer to the windage tray, but without stressing the tube and without actually touching the tray. With some putty, I was able to check the clearance between the pan and pickup and found that it was now perfect. I hope those who might be considering installing a Moroso pan will take note of this. I'll post a couple pics of the engine with pan installed in a bit.

Ken

Good PICK UP Ken. ( you see what I did there) :hysterical: Have you gotten your heads back yet, and did you pick a clutch? I say install that thing yourself. I've seen guys put the rear tires on ramps and lift the front of the car w/ a cherry picker to get it high enough to clear the engine. Or find a shop that will let you rent a lift over a weekend. I'd drive down there and help if you want.

^Hey Brian thanks for offering to help out. I may give the reinstall a shot actually. If I do, I'll definitely let you know. My heads are complete, but still at the machine shop. But I've decided that I'm going to let them finish setting them up. So once I get the cams from Comp, I'm going to run them out to them. The machine shop has ordered a new set of springs, followers, lash adjusters, titanium retainers, and limiters, so that they will have everything needed to finish the job. Hopefully I'll have them next week. I'll get pics up once they're ready to get installed.

Ken

^Yeah Andrew I've still got the FRPP bar and it cleared fine too. Glad to hear your BMR brace fits too.

I installed the pan today, but not without a hitch. The pickup tube was too long, causing an interference with the bottom of the pan. What was perplexing, however, was that I'm using a brand new pickup tube, but one that is identical to the one I was using before the rebuild. Upon closer inspection, I found that there was a ring worn into the very bottom of the high capacity pan from the pickup tube rubbing against it for months.

I paid to have this pan installed originally, because I couldn't see myself hoisting the engine and dropping the K-member, just to install an oil pan. I'm wondering now though whether it was realized at that time that the pickup was causing an interference with the new, slightly more shallow pan. This seems to confirm what the guys at Comp told me on the phone earlier this week - that the problem wasn't with the cam but rather a lack of lubrication in the valvetrain. With the pickup resting right on the bottom of the pan, it would have a very difficult time sucking up enough oil to keep the pump fed. A clearance of at least 1/4" is required between the pickup and bottom of the pan.

Anyway, I'm glad that at least I realized this now and not after I got it started up again. To correct it, I made a slight modification to the hex pickup tube nut that screws into the top of one of the main studs. I put it in a vise and with a bandsaw chopped about 3/8" off the end of it, then cleaned it up with my bench grinder. I screwed it back into the main stud, then put a thin nut on the end of the bolt that threads into the opposite end of the pickup tube nut (to keep the bolt from bottoming out against the main stud inside the hex pickup tube nut). After bolting down the pickup tube to the modified hex nut, I found that it had sucked it up about 3/8" closer to the windage tray, but without stressing the tube and without actually touching the tray. With some putty, I was able to check the clearance between the pan and pickup and found that it was now perfect. I hope those who might be considering installing a Moroso pan will take note of this. I'll post a couple pics of the engine with pan installed in a bit.

Ken

Ken, Just a sugestion I Would Safety Wire the Nut.

Frank

Any experience with Jesel?

http://jesel.com/ind...p?categoryid=11

Ford_Followers.jpg

Overkill. As long as the lash adjustment is set correctly the stock followers and lash adjusters should be fine.

I hope those who might be considering installing a Moroso pan will take note of this.

That is mandatory when installing ANY oil pan. Even a stocker.

Ken, Just a sugestion I Would Safety Wire the Nut.

Frank

Yeah...something else to vibrate off and get sucked into the pickup. Loctite is your friend. :dance:

Overkill. As long as the lash adjustment is set correctly the stock followers and lash adjusters should be fine.

That is mandatory when installing ANY oil pan. Even a stocker.

Yeah...something else to vibrate off and get sucked into the pickup. Loctite is your friend. :dance:

never seen safety wire vibrate off, new one on me.

Archived