TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MMR forged 5.0 stroker build

I guess he would smoke your whipple car as well if a Z06. My 550 whipple set up is quite fast and the term smoke a Z06 to mine, yours

or the Kahman car is far extended. Yes I've hung and exceeded a Z06 in the quarter but no way a smoke out. Lets be real now. I love

my Shelby and have owned numerous Stangs since 1975 but these are not supercars. I suppose you can dump 10s of thousands of

dollars in to any car and make it a super car but sooner or later there will be a failure of the weakest link.

My points on research such as the whipple, is if you did your home work and knew the limitations of the car failures would not be happening.

FRPP did that with the whipple kit and never had a failure on the kit as issued and installed. If you plan on racing any car no matter

what the set up, plan on failures and costly repairs. That is why after over 30 years of cars and mostly Mustangs, I now have spirited

driving but not all out racing that waste my hard earned cash. My Shelby was modified at Tamba Bay Shelby where Steve usually deals

with $100K plus Shelby Cobra restorations. It was completed perfectly unlike MMR issues and un-necesssary headaches. That is why a

while back I questioned UPR about the incorrect placement of the oil catch can when I saw Ken's. Never received an answer from UPR

because they knew they screwed up.

My catch can was designed for my previous Vette and I took it and installed it myself where it was supposed to be. I use factory manuals

and rely on tech experts that I know are proven performers and handle cars like they were their own car. I do most of the work myself but

in the case of the whipple I opted for Shelby at Tampa Bay because of quality and I did not feel like leaning over a fender all weekend. It's

bad to say and I hate to admit it but the tech side on Vettes far exceeds the Mustangs. I think much of that is because of the background

and age of most Vette owners. Like it or not that reality. However the Mustangs have far more parts that are cost efficient compared to a

Vette. So before you buy anything it gets researched and then installed, not after the fact or after a failure.

IMO, Ken would smoke a new Z06.

His honesty and attention to detail is helping me a lot since I plan to upgrade my internals this spring. Just learning about MMR is

worth a lot to anyone thinking of going that route. (I know I was)

Ken, when I'm done, you're more than welcome to take Betsy for a "spirited" spin!

Dan

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I still don't quite understand what your issue is. There have been many headaches thus far with this project, but all of them have been caused by a local machine shop or MMR. The valvetrain failure itself occurred because Comp told me not to install cam phaser limiters or lockouts at the time that I installed the stage 2 cams/springs/retainers. They later ammended this recommendation with my specific cam, which was unknown to me until it was too late.

Racing costs money, that's true. I enjoy it enough, however, to spend that money obviously. I'm really not sure what else to tell you there.

With regards to tech expertise, I've sought advice from dozens of well informed people that I haven't mentioned here, with regard to this specific project. I've built auto engines in the past, but never a modular motor. The Paxton install was easy breezy and not beyond my capability, by any means. I work as the director of operations for a natural gas fired power plant. I've been an industrial mechanic since I was 19 years old. I'm about to begin a complete top end on a 20 cylinder, carbureted, Austrian built, ABB-turbocharged, green machine that's the size of your garage. I know engines and I know them well. What else is it that we're discussing here again?

I'd prefer to stay on topic, because those interested in a forged stroker build aren't going to get much tech insight reading any of these kinds of posts, this one included. :reading:

Ken

I don't have an issue but if you had so much engineering expertise as you pointed out how on earth were so many mistakes made. There are many areas to get info on a forged engine build not just this one project where it started off bad from the get go. Not sure what I learn from that. I'm pointing out there are other avenues for info so others don't make mistakes that maybe can't afford to. I've never seen so much just to build a small block forged engine that maybe takes a week to do and most parts could be obtained from Summit Racing. I've never had an issue with obtaining quality parts from Summit or Jegs. Maybe the younger crowd has the interest for all that.

^I still don't quite understand what your issue is. There have been many headaches thus far with this project, but all of them have been caused by a local machine shop or MMR. The valvetrain failure itself occurred because Comp told me not to install cam phaser limiters or lockouts at the time that I installed the stage 2 cams/springs/retainers. They later ammended this recommendation with my specific cam, which was unknown to me until it was too late.

Racing costs money, that's true. I enjoy it enough, however, to spend that money obviously. I'm really not sure what else to tell you there.

With regards to tech expertise, I've sought advice from dozens of well informed people that I haven't mentioned here, with regard to this specific project. I've built auto engines in the past, but never a modular motor. The Paxton install was easy breezy and not beyond my capability, by any means. I work as the director of operations for a natural gas fired power plant. I've been an industrial mechanic since I was 19 years old. I'm about to begin a complete top end on a 20 cylinder, carbureted, Austrian built, ABB-turbocharged, green machine that's the size of your garage. I know engines and I know them well. What else is it that we're discussing here again?

I'd prefer to stay on topic, because those interested in a forged stroker build aren't going to get much tech insight reading any of these kinds of posts, this one included. :reading:

Ken

^Here are the mistakes that have been made:

-choosing the wrong machine shop to begin with which killed several weeks

-choosing MMR to purchase the Manley stroker kit from (MMR is well regarded by many, and less regarded by others)

What else are you referring to, especially with regards to my engineering experience?

I've had a series of misfortunes with some well reputed shops. I've moved on. Would you mind giving it a shot too? :talkhand:

Ok I will behave. Back to the MMR Stoker Build story.

You won't see it in my profile but I'm 50, have 35 years experience in power plant maintenance and operations, boiler, diesel and gas turbines, B&W, GE etc, retired 30 years US Navy Engineering and currently plan all maintenance and repairs for the power plant here in Jax Florida. Our boilers pump out over 900,000lb/hr and generators at over 50mw each. I've owned and built over 15 Mustangs and recently sold my 67GT Fastback (mint) to a person in France. Also got rid of my built C6 Vette last year and concentrated on the Shelby and Harley. I know a couple things about the Stang and what works on a Ford which is totally different than a Chevy. :happy feet:

Ok I will behave. Back to the MMR Stoker Build story.

You won't see it in my profile but I'm 50, have 35 years experience in power plant maintenance and operations, boiler, diesel and gas turbines, B&W, GE etc, retired 30 years US Navy Engineering and currently plan all maintenance and repairs for the power plant here in Jax Florida. Our boilers pump out over 900,000lb/hr and generators at over 50mw each. I've owned and built over 15 Mustangs and recently sold my 67GT Fastback (mint) to a person in France. Also got rid of my built C6 Vette last year and concentrated on the Shelby and Harley. I know a couple things about the Stang and what works on a Ford which is totally different than a Chevy. happy feet.gif

Ok so tell me you have a Shovelhead (which BTW scientific studies have reavealed that 99 percent of all strippers prefer) and then I will be REALLY impressed...wrench on my Shelby brothers, no sense bickering.

Ken I enjoy your posts a lot and any moral support I can give, you got.

08 I think that no matter our individual expertise at wrenching we ALL have had issues with wrenching sometimes...

I had a very experienced friend call me up one day to borrow my eyes as his newly, and very very nicely rebuilt and modified Landcruiser engine install would not fire up on the initial start up, he is very meticilious...

Took me 2 minutes...out of gas in the tank. Obvious but it really happened. I still nail him with that when he gets too cocky...

Anyway, not getting into it with anyone 08 just adding my opinion, I have met Ken in person he is like all the other Shelby folks I have met a great guy and he will get that car up and running sweet you can bet on it.

Cheers and wrench on!

No shovelhead just an 09 Fatbob. I do have a pole dancer on my antennae I got from Korupt Kittens. Someone in here had one and I

thought it was funny. Gets all sorts of looks especially from old ladies at the stop light. :hysterical:

Ok so tell me you have a Shovelhead (which BTW scientific studies have reavealed that 99 percent of all strippers prefer) and then I will be REALLY impressed...wrench on my Shelby brothers, no sense bickering.

Ken I enjoy your posts a lot and any moral support I can give, you got.

08 I think that no matter our individual expertise at wrenching we ALL have had issues with wrenching sometimes...

I had a very experienced friend call me up one day to borrow my eyes as his newly, and very very nicely rebuilt and modified Landcruiser engine install would not fire up on the initial start up, he is very meticilious...

Took me 2 minutes...out of gas in the tank. Obvious but it really happened. I still nail him with that when he gets too cocky...

Anyway, not getting into it with anyone 08 just adding my opinion, I have met Ken in person he is like all the other Shelby folks I have met a great guy and he will get that car up and running sweet you can bet on it.

Cheers and wrench on!

No shovelhead just an 09 Fatbob. I do have a pole dancer on my antennae I got from Korupt Kittens. Someone in here had one and I

thought it was funny. Gets all sorts of looks especially from old ladies at the stop light. hysterical.gif

Shovelheads get the young ladies at the stoplights...hysterical.gif

I knew ya had it in ya old buddy ;)

Ken we have never met, but I am so glad that whole thing is over for all of us. Kind of seemed like a waste of time and post space but Oh well. I have been following your build from the beginning and appreciate your honesty and transparency with the issues of the build. I plan a project in the next year and you and your ordeals have been a wealth of information and caution for me. Keep posting my friend and good luck. I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel for you.

<<<<<<Stock engine/transmission/3.31 rear end with a pair of 53mm Garrett GT2871R's. Corvettes are no problem. :shift:

Ken....I really hope this thing works out for you, man. I also hope EVERYONE has seen the light when it comes to MMR. They really do suck.

Just an FYI....not trying to blow my own horn but I do sell the following stuff if you guys need help:

ModMax

Probe/Coast High Performance

American Racing Headers

Team Performance Turbo Systems

Oakley Products

You don't have to go to people like MMR.

Ken we have never met, but I am so glad that whole thing is over for all of us. Kind of seemed like a waste of time and post space but Oh well. I have been following your build from the beginning and appreciate your honesty and transparency with the issues of the build. I plan a project in the next year and you and your ordeals have been a wealth of information and caution for me. Keep posting my friend and good luck. I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel for you.

Thanks a lot man. I appreciate the kind words. I've got the thing on track now and the only thing slowing me down is how quickly I can pay for the rest of it. I'm shooting for the end of next month.

<<<<<<Stock engine/transmission/3.31 rear end with a pair of 53mm Garrett GT2871R's. Corvettes are no problem. :shift:

Ken....I really hope this thing works out for you, man. I also hope EVERYONE has seen the light when it comes to MMR. They really do suck.

Just an FYI....not trying to blow my own horn but I do sell the following stuff if you guys need help:

ModMax

Probe/Coast High Performance

American Racing Headers

Team Performance Turbo Systems

Oakley Products

You don't have to go to people like MMR.

Thanks for the heads up SD. I'll definitely keep you in mind from now on. :shift:

The block machining and balancing were completed Friday. The short block assembly ought to get going Monday and be done by the end of the week.

My MMR-SVT oil pump arrived from TSS with it's new billet gears installed. I'll get a pic up of it shortly. I'll also snag some pics of the engine as it's progressing when I drop the oil pump off this coming week.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Archived