TEAM SHELBY FORUM

MMR forged 5.0 stroker build

Hey Dan, I'm still waiting on the kit to arrive. It ought to ship out at the beginning of next week.

I got the engine and trans separated yesterday. Now I'm deliberating on whether to continue tearing the engine down myself or if I should just drop it off at the machine shop now and be done with it. I'll make my mind up by the end of this week and get pics up either way.

Ken

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool.

I'm thinking that I'll do much the same as you. I want to stay at 281, no Stroker. Doing research into internals and mechanics. I may buy a kit like you and have AED do all the work...

Probably ought to get the kit soon, while they are still on sale.

Can't wait to see yours, Ken!

^Still looking good for the Bash Michael. I'll let ya know if the schedule gets screwy for any reason.

I've decided to complete the entire engine tear down myself. The specialty Motorcraft/Rotunda tools needed are on order, but I'll be in Vegas all week next week, so I won't get finished till next weekend. I'm planning on getting the bare block to the machine shop for a cleaning, bore, and assembly by Monday the 14th, assuming that the tools ship without issue. I'm excited to be doing the tear down at least. I'll get pics up of the next steps of progress.

Ken

^I have a cam gear lockout tool, crankshaft holder, valve spring compressor, and other specialty Motorcraft tools on order.

However, I'm an impatient guy. So today at work, I spent a few hours on the engine and got it nearly completely disassembled without these tools.

An impact gun and some creativity go a long way. All that's left is the crankshaft. The only reason I didn't remove it is because I'm certain that there is a sequence to removing the main studs, main bolts, and side bolts to prevent twisting of the block. I just don't know the sequence. I'll get photos up of my work tonight when I get home.

Ken

The crankshaft alone arrived today. The rest of the kit is scheduled to ship Monday morning apparently.

I also ordered some additional parts from MMR today:

-ATI Super Street crank damper (10% overdrive)

-ARP damper bolt

-ARP head studs

-ARP flywheel bolts

-Felpro extreme duty head gaskets

-MMR billet steel timing trigger wheel

DSC01652.jpg

DSC01653.jpg

DSC01654.jpg

^ Sure is pretty isn't it? I'm getting tired of staring at it though. Still waiting on MMR to ship the rest of the stroker kit. :waiting:

i know how you feel. i ordered the 950 stroker block 2 weeks ago and now they're saying its going to be another 2 weeks till its shipped. the anticipation is killing me. :angry22:

Man I guess so. I finally got shipping confirmation today. I had to hound Rick several times a day to get the stuff in the mail.

He finally called me an impatient A-hole (jokingly) and put a stamp on the parts. I dropped the crank off at the machine shop today. They have the block cleaned and ready to assemble.

If the rest of the parts arrive by Thursday, I'll have an assembled short block before Xmas.

Ken

The crankshaft alone arrived today. The rest of the kit is scheduled to ship Monday morning apparently.

I also ordered some additional parts from MMR today:

-ATI Super Street crank damper (10% overdrive)

-ARP damper bolt

-ARP head studs

-ARP flywheel bolts

-Felpro extreme duty head gaskets

-MMR billet steel timing trigger wheel

DSC01652.jpg

Ken,

Very cool, now we are all jealous.

Can't imagine how this will be once you have it all togther and back in your SGT.

You must feel like a kid in an automotive candy store.

Lg

^ It's definitely like xmas everyday around here. It seems like just yesterday that I was doing this to my old 289. Hard to believe that was 2 years ago that I built that motor.

This is a whole lot more fun though, only because I know what kind of power I'm going to end up with at the end of all this. And the idea of this stuff in my regular driver is pretty exciting too. :)

Ken

Ken,

Very cool, now we are all jealous.

Can't imagine how this will be once you have it all togther and back in your SGT.

You must feel like a kid in an automotive candy store.

Lg

YEs.

I feel like that kid and it's not even my car!

^ It's definitely like xmas everyday around here. It seems like just yesterday that I was doing this to my old 289. Hard to believe that was 2 years ago that I built that motor.

This is a whole lot more fun though, only because I know what kind of power I'm going to end up with at the end of all this. And the idea of this stuff in my regular driver is pretty exciting too. :)

Ken

Hey Ken,

I just found this post and read the whole thing. Just a heads up...Hastings rings are notorious for taking longer to seat than others. If you get the motor running before the Bash, be sure to do the usual 2500 RPM, 15 minute break in, drain the oil, replace filter ( you do this as the assembly lube partially clogs the oil filter during this time, and any contaminents get trapped by the filter) Also use 5-30 NON synthetic, and NON synthetic blend!! Then drive the car easy for 500 miles. The drive to Vegas will be perfect, just take it easy. As I said, the Hastings rings do take time to seat...if you just give it a beating right away, the rings may not seat. I have built many motors that had this problem because customers dont seat the rings properly and listen. Also stay with non synthetic oil for 5K miles and change every 1K after first break in change and anaylize oil each time for metal or anything that looks strange. Just a heads up as I want to see your awesome build go smoothly and last a long time with out smoking...

Alex

Hey Ken,

I just found this post and read the whole thing. Just a heads up...Hastings rings are notorious for taking longer to seat than others. If you get the motor running before the Bash, be sure to do the usual 2500 RPM, 15 minute break in, drain the oil, replace filter ( you do this as the assembly lube partially clogs the oil filter during this time, and any contaminents get trapped by the filter) Also use 5-30 NON synthetic, and NON synthetic blend!! Then drive the car easy for 500 miles. The drive to Vegas will be perfect, just take it easy. As I said, the Hastings rings do take time to seat...if you just give it a beating right away, the rings may not seat. I have built many motors that had this problem because customers dont seat the rings properly and listen. Also stay with non synthetic oil for 5K miles and change every 1K after first break in change and anaylize oil each time for metal or anything that looks strange. Just a heads up as I want to see your awesome build go smoothly and last a long time with out smoking...

Alex

Hey Alex thanks for chiming in man. The Hastings rings were the only part of this kit I wasn't too excited about honestly. They're a cheap ring and I've had bad luck with them in the past. I've got my guy at the machine shop trying to source a better piston ring for the build. I'll let ya know what he finds.

Wow Ken, it's getting real exciting now!! And, I think we all agree with AstroDan! Seeing it go from paper to parts and anticipating the build and installation is over the top. Thanks for sharing with all of us!

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, I'm glad you're enjoying the progress! It's getting pretty fun now for sure, but I'm getting more and more antsy to get back on the ROAD! :shift:

Ken

Hey Alex thanks for chiming in man. The Hastings rings were the only part of this kit I wasn't too excited about honestly. They're a cheap ring and I've had bad luck with them in the past. I've got my guy at the machine shop trying to source a better piston ring for the build. I'll let ya know what he finds.

Ken

You bet...just hate to see something as inexpensive as piston rings ruin your new engine build. I have built 1000's of motors and always advise against these rings. Sealed Power, Total Seal, and TRW make great quality rings for not alot of money. Hope your car is done for the Bash. I look forward to seeing you.

Alex

Hey man, those are all nice new shiny parts, but my question is, are ya gonna have that thing back together for the BASH??!!!! :)

The short block will be done next week, according to the machine shop. But the heads are the issue now. They were the source of all this work to begin with, so I don't want to cut any corners on the top end. I have the heads boxed up to go out to MMR Monday morning. But I think I'll run them by my machine shop first, just to see if we can't come up with something on a little swifter timeline.

I've had the Bash in mind this entire time and am still planning on going. I'm just going to need to get a whole lot done upstairs in a short period of time, if I want to ride in style. Stay tuned...

Ken

The short block will be done next week, according to the machine shop. But the heads are the issue now. They were the source of all this work to begin with, so I don't want to cut any corners on the top end. I have the heads boxed up to go out to MMR Monday morning. But I think I'll run them by my machine shop first, just to see if we can't come up with something on a little swifter timeline.

I've had the Bash in mind this entire time and am still planning on going. I'm just going to need to get a whole lot done upstairs in a short period of time, if I want to ride in style. Stay tuned...

Ken

if you go with MMR for the heads what stage are you going with??

You've got to be pretty excited. What kind of boost are you planning on running once it's complete, and what kind of power are you expecting? Should be pretty stout!

Planning on 17-18 psi. With the heads opened up and the huge exhaust, the motor will be running a lot more efficiently obviously, which will make it tougher to build boost pressure. It'll put down well over 6xxRWHP. I'm shooting for the 7xx's on race gas. ;)

if you go with MMR for the heads what stage are you going with??

Well the port/polish and valve job will be a stage 3. The cams, however, won't be any heavier than a stage 2, if that. Depends on what Comp says about my failure.

Ken

Archived