TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Toys for Tots - Check it Out!

Most of you know about Toys for Tots. What you probably know is that you can drop off a toy somewhere and make a young child smile on Christmas Morning.

If you'd like to know more about how the program works, click on the link. I wrote an article for a magazine and learned all about it! Good stuff.

Click on the first article: Toys for Tots. It's a nationwide program - so help make some little guys and girls have a great morning on Christmas!

Thanks - ruf

http://www.beaufortccc.edu/news/BryanO.htm

Thanks for the reminder, Bryan. As you will see below, it takes me back a bit. This year, more than most years, we need to be aware that the number of children in need is higher than ever.

For those with young children, it is a good teaching moment -- to take your kids shopping for a toy for another child they will never meet.

But more than the shopping is taking the opportunity to watch your child walk up to a Marine in full dress uniform (while Mom and Dad stand back a bit) and hold out the toy for that Marine to take.

It is a moment in time that will stay with your child forever. I am 59 and I remember like it was yesterday when I did that at age 8. My Dad, a WWII Marine, did not talk about the war much (the South Pacific) and, when we went to drop off the toy, I asked why he wanted me to do it. He just said he wanted me to know that Marines did more than fight.

It is a lesson about giving that cannot be taught any better way. At the moment the Marine takes the toy, he will look directly into your child's eyes and thank him or her and really mean it. If you want it to, it can become a tradition each year. Even if you do it only once, it is a great thing to do for a child.

Jim

I had the honor of working Toys for Tots in 1985 in Kansas City while waiting for my discharge from the Marine Corps. It was a really great experience. There were very few that abused the system, but there were far more that did not. It is a great feeling to watch the expression on a parent's face when they are allowed to walk into a room filled with toys, and they get to pick out toys for their children that they can in no way buy themselves. The relief is extremely evident on their faces.

Thanks for the reminder, Bryan. As you will see below, it takes me back a bit. This year, more than most years, we need to be aware that the number of children in need is higher than ever.

For those with young children, it is a good teaching moment -- to take your kids shopping for a toy for another child they will never meet.

But more than the shopping is taking the opportunity to watch your child walk up to a Marine in full dress uniform (while Mom and Dad stand back a bit) and hold out the toy for that Marine to take.

It is a moment in time that will stay with your child forever. I am 59 and I remember like it was yesterday when I did that at age 8. My Dad, a WWII Marine, did not talk about the war much (the South Pacific) and, when we went to drop off the toy, I asked why he wanted me to do it. He just said he wanted me to know that Marines did more than fight.

It is a lesson about giving that cannot be taught any better way. At the moment the Marine takes the toy, he will look directly into your child's eyes and thank him or her and really mean it. If want it to, it can become a tradition each year. Even if you do it only once, it is a great thing to do for a child.

Jim

Thanks, Jim, Wick, and Doc -

Before I wrote this piece, I only thought about a drop off box for toys. When I got into the research, it broke my heart that so many kids needed help getting a toy for Christmas. I just thought I'd get the word out - imagine (especially these days) waking up and having nothing under the tree -

It is a lesson about giving that cannot be taught any better way. At the moment the Marine takes the toy, he will look directly into your child's eyes and thank him or her and really mean it. If want it to, it can become a tradition each year. Even if you do it only once, it is a great thing to do for a child.

Jim

That is a good idea!

It makes them think of others not so fortunate.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived