TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shorty vs Long tubes - 2010

scottGT500

Well, I am thinking about some headers and catted mid pipes....I have the Roush cat-back and love it.

What are the main differences (pros vs cons) between the long tube setup and the shorty setup? I was thinking about the FRPP shorty setup (less $$$) + a catted X. I know that this has been discussed before in other threads...any advice and knowledge (that I don't have) on mustang headers would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!!

Scott

Well, I am thinking about some headers and catted mid pipes....I have the Roush cat-back and love it.

What are the main differences (pros vs cons) between the long tube setup and the shorty setup? I was thinking about the FRPP shorty setup (less $$$) + a catted X. I know that this has been discussed before in other threads...any advice and knowledge (that I don't have) on mustang headers would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!!

Scott

Scott you need to check out http://www.americanracingheaders.com/ These guys make headers for Ford Racing. This is top of the line fit,finish and quality and they have the dyno graphs to back it up. They do complete exhaust systems also.

Talk to Nick nick@americanracingheaders.com tell em Eric sent ya

Scott you need to check out http://www.americanracingheaders.com/ These guys make headers for Ford Racing. This is top of the line fit,finish and quality and they have the dyno graphs to back it up. They do complete exhaust systems also.

Thanks!! I will do that...I have heard that some of the long tube setups have ground clearance issues. Will it matter that I have a 2.5" cat-back? I guess that I need to know what the differences are between the shorty and long tube setups...because the FRPP shorties are A LOT cheaper if the performance criteria is met for me personally.

I second Eric's suggestion. I have a set of American Racing Longtubes on my 2006 GT and LOVE THEM LOVE THEM LOVE THEM!!! The sound from the combination of their headers, catted H-pipe and Borla Stingers is just pure driving nurvana!! I've met both Nick and Georgie at Carlisle back in 2007 and say hello each year they come down. Heck, even last year (2008) Georgie used me to help sell a few sets, as 2 separate customers called my cell phone, stopped over to hear my car and the setup. Once I fired my car up and gave it a little throttle, each person fell in love!!!

The quick explanation in short is this...Shorties are basically nicer looking stock manifolds. They look better but no real gains (maybe a few hp at most). Where as Longtubes (with a proper tune to go along with them) will get you substantial gains!! And aobut ground clearance issues? I don't have any!! My car is stock ride height, and have NEVER scraped the collectors!

My car was dynoed at 302 hp to the tires, and all I have is a Airaid CAI, custom tune and the longtube headers (1 5/8 as I'm staying N/A. For F/I, you go with 1 7/8) with their catted H pipe! Nothing extra and I got that much power!!! I can probably get more as I still have the MVT still installed in the Airaid tube, thus making the MAF opening same as stock. I will remove and retune in the spring and expect more gains with a larger MAF opening. If you want a great sound, longtubes are the BEST investment!! And the midpipe they offer makes a difference too. If you want deep sound thats still legal (technically as mine does pass PA emissions as I have hi-flow cats), get their H pipe. If you want more raspy, get their X-pipe with cats. I love my car SO MUCH MORE after the install. Whenever I drive it, I never use the radio. I just listed to the exhaust! I believe I registered 95 dbs at a "soundoff" contest at a show (neutral and reving the engine to safe levels (no more than 5,500 rpms). Its an investment you'll LOVE!!!

I second Eric's suggestion. I have a set of American Racing Longtubes on my 2006 GT and LOVE THEM LOVE THEM LOVE THEM!!! The sound from the combination of their headers, catted H-pipe and Borla Stingers is just pure driving nurvana!! I've met both Nick and Georgie at Carlisle back in 2007 and say hello each year they come down. Heck, even last year (2008) Georgie used me to help sell a few sets, as 2 separate customers called my cell phone, stopped over to hear my car and the setup. Once I fired my car up and gave it a little throttle, each person fell in love!!!

The quick explanation in short is this...Shorties are basically nicer looking stock manifolds. They look better but no real gains (maybe a few hp at most). Where as Longtubes (with a proper tune to go along with them) will get you substantial gains!! And aobut ground clearance issues? I don't have any!! My car is stock ride height, and have NEVER scraped the collectors!

My car was dynoed at 302 hp to the tires, and all I have is a Airaid CAI, custom tune and the longtube headers (1 5/8 as I'm staying N/A. For F/I, you go with 1 7/8) with their catted H pipe! Nothing extra and I got that much power!!! I can probably get more as I still have the MVT still installed in the Airaid tube, thus making the MAF opening same as stock. I will remove and retune in the spring and expect more gains with a larger MAF opening. If you want a great sound, longtubes are the BEST investment!! And the midpipe they offer makes a difference too. If you want deep sound thats still legal (technically as mine does pass PA emissions as I have hi-flow cats), get their H pipe. If you want more raspy, get their X-pipe with cats. I love my car SO MUCH MORE after the install. Whenever I drive it, I never use the radio. I just listed to the exhaust! I believe I registered 95 dbs at a "soundoff" contest at a show (neutral and reving the engine to safe levels (no more than 5,500 rpms). Its an investment you'll LOVE!!!

SAAAWEEEET! That sounds awesome! Keep these ideas and comparisons coming...this is great info!!!!

***Will it matter if the x-pipe (for whatever system) is 3" when I have the 2.5" Roush system...is that bad to go from 3" mids to a 2.5" cat back?

SAAAWEEEET! That sounds awesome! Keep these ideas and comparisons coming...this is great info!!!!

***Will it matter if the x-pipe (for whatever system) is 3" when I have the 2.5" Roush system...is that bad to go from 3" mids to a 2.5" cat back?

No...it won't matter. I talked to Nick about 2 months before I even got my Shelby...........they will make the x-pipe taper where it connects to our Roush system. My only concern in going with the Long tubes is just how much more sound we will get. I love the sound of our set-up now.........and I dont think the ceramic shorties would affect it too much. But I'm sure the long-tubes will wake the dead..............although that may not be a bad thing!!! I do have to disagree, though, that you may want to stick with the 1 3/4" tubes (unless you really plan on modding the hell out of the car - then go with the 1 7/8" ......just from all the reading/research I have been doing, but I may be wrong!)

No...it won't matter. I talked to Nick about 2 months before I even got my Shelby...........they will make the x-pipe taper where it connects to our Roush system. My only concern in going with the Long tubes is just how much more sound we will get. I love the sound of our set-up now.........and I dont think the ceramic shorties would affect it too much. But I'm sure the long-tubes will wake the dead..............although that may not be a bad thing!!! I do have to disagree, though, that you may want to stick with the 1 3/4" tubes (unless you really plan on modding the hell out of the car - then go with the 1 7/8" ......just from all the reading/research I have been doing, but I may be wrong!)

Hey bud, you are correct. I got my header sizes mixed up, lol! Its 1 3/4" and not 1 7/8". Thanks for the correction. :shift:

Archived