TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Man, I gots to know.

thewheelman

So, I’m leaving work Friday afternoon, the sun is shining, it’s cool and breezy, the GT 500 is shining like new money, got some ZZ Top on the stereo and I’m feeling fine. At the intersection at the end of the street, this kid pulls up alongside me in his shiny, tiny, noisy little import and guns the motor 3 or 4 times.

I finally look over at him, squint, turn my stereo down and say, “I know what you're thinking. "Is that old man willing to drop the hammer and give me a run? Has he already got it in first or just idling in neutral?” Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a supercharged Shelby GT 500, the most powerful Mustang to ever roll off the assembly line (to date), and would blow your funky little import clean off the road, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?”

He stared at the light for a few more seconds, then turned to me and said, “Man, I gots to know.”

The light turned green and I smoked him like a cheap cigar.

(It was my son in his '82 Fiat Spider.)

:shift:

So, I’m leaving work Friday afternoon, the sun is shining, it’s cool and breezy, the GT 500 is shining like new money, got some ZZ Top on the stereo and I’m feeling fine. At the intersection at the end of the street, this kid pulls up alongside me in his shiny, tiny, noisy little import and guns the motor 3 or 4 times.

I finally look over at him, squint, turn my stereo down and say, “I know what you're thinking. "Is that old man willing to drop the hammer and give me a run? Has he already got it in first or just idling in neutral?” Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a supercharged Shelby GT 500, the most powerful Mustang to ever roll off the assembly line (to date), and would blow your funky little import clean off the road, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?”

He stared at the light for a few more seconds, then turned to me and said, “Man, I gots to know.”

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Even our son's need to be put in their place sometimes! That's a good one!!!! :hysterical:

Very cool. :shift: PERFECTLY played.

Yup, the ONLY time I ever ran anyone was this little import, with what sounded like open headers, guages all over the dash and up the side of the widshield, even purple lights shining under the car.

Cruising at about 70 or so. I tried to not do it, really. But he kept dropping back, blowing by me, then dropping back and doing it again. :censored: that got on my nerves!

So I wait, just shaking my head, gently drop it into 4th as he pulls up next to me again...I hold up 3 fingers, then 2, then 1, then PUNCH it. :speedie:

By the time I hit the rev limiter and had to shift, I could barely see his headlights in my rear view mirror. :banvictory:

I tried to tell em...can you READ the side of the car? :poke:

Not sure what it is about little imports with open headers that makes folks think they have a race car. :hysterical2:

It actually scared the bejeasus out of me too. I mean the acceleration up to past 100 (not sure how far past, I was looking at the road) blew ME away. So NOT going to do that again. Not to mention the fact that a ticket at those kind of speeds often leads to impounding your car. NFW :nonono:

:rockon:

Great! Any comment from your son after you shut him down?

Nothing I can remember, but if he did comment, it'd probably be a movie quote. We can carry on entire conversations without uttering an original word......

:hysterical::hysterical: good one - no a double good - smiling makes one feel good :hysterical:

don't line up against the little 4 banger I did at the track 6 wk ago. I'am still looking for where he

buys his rice. I turned a 11.5 and he did a 10.4 my excuse = he weighted maybe 1800 lb and me over 4200 :cry:

:hysterical: That is awesome!!!!! At least you are raising him right. You know, respect your elders.....

Very cool. :shift: PERFECTLY played.

Yup, the ONLY time I ever ran anyone was this little import, with what sounded like open headers, guages all over the dash and up the side of the widshield, even purple lights shining under the car.

Cruising at about 70 or so. I tried to not do it, really. But he kept dropping back, blowing by me, then dropping back and doing it again. :censored: that got on my nerves!

So I wait, just shaking my head, gently drop it into 4th as he pulls up next to me again...I hold up 3 fingers, then 2, then 1, then PUNCH it. :speedie:

By the time I hit the rev limiter and had to shift, I could barely see his headlights in my rear view mirror. :banvictory:

I tried to tell em...can you READ the side of the car? :poke:

Not sure what it is about little imports with open headers that makes folks think they have a race car. :hysterical2:

It actually scared the bejeasus out of me too. I mean the acceleration up to past 100 (not sure how far past, I was looking at the road) blew ME away. So NOT going to do that again. Not to mention the fact that a ticket at those kind of speeds often leads to impounding your car. NFW :nonono:

:rockon:

Great story.

I was showing off a little to some friends after softball a couple of weeks ago and it was about 45 degrees out that night. I was rolling in first gear and gunned it, the car did a complete 360 and my heart was in my throat. Luckily, there was alot of open field on my right and nothing happened. I won't make that mistake again...... :doh:

My son is 12 and he is already asking me about when he can drive it... :drop:

Great story indeed!

I have 2 girls, ages 10 and 13, and they have already decided who is getting each of my cars. You know, because I will be so old that I can't drive anymore, by the time they are old enough to drive, NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Great story.

I was showing off a little to some friends after softball a couple of weeks ago and it was about 45 degrees out that night. I was rolling in first gear and gunned it, the car did a complete 360 and my heart was in my throat. Luckily, there was alot of open field on my right and nothing happened. I won't make that mistake again...... :doh:

You punched it when it was in first? :blink:

Holy :censored: !

Glad you're ok dude.

You punched it when it was in first? :blink:

Holy :censored: !

Glad you're ok dude.

Opps, I should have said "rolling in first, dropped it into second and gunned it." :confused:

I was just expecting a quick burn out/ chirp of the wheels. But with it being cool out, it turned into a feeling more like driving on ice. The back end started going to the right, I turned into it and let off the gas, then when the wheels hooked up I ended up going for a quick "spin" in the grass.

Opps, I should have said "rolling in first, dropped it into second and gunned it." :confused:

I was just expecting a quick burn out/ chirp of the wheels. But with it being cool out, it turned into a feeling more like driving on ice. The back end started going to the right, I turned into it and let off the gas, then when the wheels hooked up I ended up going for a quick "spin" in the grass.

were they impressed?

Roger

OK, I feel better and it explains why you are not a statistic now.

Really, punching it in second from anything other then a rolling start, on a straight away is insane! :nonono: I stick with a rolling start in third, doing about 35 Mph then PUNCHING it myself. You should see the reactions from passengers even though I tell em it's coming. :hysterical: I call that demonstration of power and acceleration 'The GT500 Experience". Should probably copyright the term.. :idea:

Unless of course there is a desire to make a LOT of noise, leave a LOT of expensive rubber on the road, and test your keeping-it-straight driving skills to the max! :shift:

Classic stuff!!! Made my day

Archived