TEAM SHELBY FORUM

touch up paint for rims?

had front tire replaced at dealer. chipped rim in 3 places.is there touch up paint to match rims? thanks

We just had ours powder coated and the coater told me that the stock coating was some kind of lacquer

over a base color. Ours chipped also. They seemed to chip pretty easily.

I don't know how you would touch it up as the base is one color and the coating is clear-ish.

Seems like it would be hard to do. Good luck!

We just had ours powder coated and the coater told me that the stock coating was some kind of lacquer

I don't know how you would touch it up as the base is one color and the coating is clear-ish.

to me it looks like a base/clear--with all the EPA restrictions on lacquer,i would doubt theyre lacquer--but the chipping is a charcteristic of lacquer--and if they are,touch-up is impossible.

had scratched one of my front rims and replaced .kept damaged rim local wheel fix it guy who goes around to dealers and body shops said he could repair it for about a hundred dollars and if i didn't like it i would not have to pay . he brought i back in about a week i cannot find where it was damaged ,should have marked it ,best part was he said give me 60 dollars cash . so they can be repaired would have saved me the 900 dollars for new wheel and tire change

Yes they can be repaired, wife had a Infinity G35 and the wheel finish was as I can remember exactly like ours. Car had some transport rash on front wheel, and mobile wheel guy had it fixed in a day. I was told it is a "very" detailed process. What that means I don't know, all I know is that it can be done, and done well for that fact.

Powder coated black??? Ohhhh we need some pics!!

Would love to see some pic's. Please post them soon.....

thanks

Sorry to hyjack the post but here you go.

Oh, and sorry for the dirty car and the wheels still have the tire guys hand prints all over them but you can get the idea.

Jake

I'm not usually a fan of an all black wheel but I'm sold!

Oh, I really like. What do you think about some red accents? Any ideas?

they look great--but Im learning black is a bear to keep clean.

BTW, does anyone else besides me recall that in the intial info sent out by Ford on the GT500 they had optional 19in wheels that had tints matching the paint color of the car on the wheels.I looked everywhere in my files and caht find them--if anyone has them please post,bacuse id like to do mine like that.I think they were a $1000 option, and I remember bringing the info to one of the dealers--maybe i left them there since they didnt have the option for verts,only coupes

Can you post a pic of a complete side view? Will give me a better idea of complete package.

Yes I can. We just completed the install this evening. It's running now so I can get the poor thing

washed, then I'll take a photo of it for ya. Give me a couple days though, it's crazy around here!

Jake

Swapping out to the Whipple 2.9 supercharger. Just got to find time to

finish the project. It's been out of service for almost 2 weeks. It's driving

me crazy not driving it. We should get it finished up this week.

Are you installing the Whipple as a stand alone...in other words no fuel pump upgrade or TB?

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I can. We just completed the install this evening. It's running now so I can get the poor thing

washed, then I'll take a photo of it for ya. Give me a couple days though, it's crazy around here!

Jake

There's no touch up paint system for rims, but there are companies that repair rims onsite for $125 each. Contact car dealers for a reference.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok so rubbed a curb in the summer did some damage to the rim. Finally last week took it to a mobile wheel repair guy. He said no problem easy fix. I picked it up today and can't tell where the damage was looks brand new. The wheels can be fixed just have to find the right place to take them. Only cost $120 for repair verses $700 for new wheel from dealership.

post-25280-126462116831_thumb.jpg

post-25280-126462146208_thumb.jpg

post-25280-126462116831_thumb.jpg

post-25280-126462146208_thumb.jpg

Archived