TEAM SHELBY FORUM

hauling the sgt on a u-Haul trailer?

rnoggle

I'm getting ready to move from Indiana to South Carolina and I need to transport the SGT.

I really don't want to make a seperate trip to drive it down. I already have to drive the U-haul truck, and then fly back to get my Dodge Ram. So I figured I would put the SGt on a trailer.

I know it can be done. I also know that it's a pain to do.

I read a post here that some one has done it. I just can't find it now.

I'm sure a regular flatbed trailer would be a lot easier, but I don't have access to one of those.

I figure I will need to block up the ramps to getter a less severe angle onto the trailer. I also probably will have to crawl out thru the trunk, as the doors probably won't open once it's on the trailer.

I'm mostly concerned about tying the car down. I'm not sure the wheel straps that come with the trailer will work due to the front fascia being so low.

So, anyone have any advice or tips on the best way to do this.

Thanks!!!

I'm getting ready to move from Indiana to South Carolina and I need to transport the SGT.

I really don't want to make a seperate trip to drive it down. I already have to drive the U-haul truck, and then fly back to get my Dodge Ram. So I figured I would put the SGt on a trailer.

I'm sure a regular flatbed trailer would be a lot easier, but I don't have access to one of those.

I figure I will need to block up the ramps to getter a less severe angle onto the trailer. I also probably will have to crawl out thru the trunk, as the doors probably won't open once it's on the trailer.

I'm mostly concerned about tying the car down. I'm not sure the wheel straps that come with the trailer will work due to the front fascia being so low.

Thanks!!!

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...=45386&st=0

see post 19

I saw that thread. Post 19 is a different type of trailer. I'm not sure if I can tie down the front the way it was done here. U'-haul ttrailers have the type of tie downs that lace over the top of the front wheel and are tightened by a ratchet on the front of the trailer.

Post #15 of that thread is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll send a pm to that meber though and see if he can help out.

Thanks for the link :shift:

I used a UHaul for over a year when towing out of town with my 40th Anniversary, which is as low as your GT. It works great. You might have to use some 2x10x4 feet to change the angle, but it is not a problem. I would actually pull forward to where the driveway starts to take a little dip and have the ramps rest on the dip and it was almost a straight drive on. Just be careful and have plenty of boards handy and you won't have a problem. The fender does fold down to get in and out as someone already mentioned.

PS Check the tires before you leave the Uhaul shop. I had two back to back experiences with bad tires and it prompted me to buy my own trailer. Also, if you haven't driven with surge brakes, they take a little experience, but work well. You have to tap well in advance to start them working. Good luck

Good info on the Uhaul. The trailer I had, had the web strap for the front tires which worked great. The back only came with a chain to wrap around the axle. I used my friends heavy duty ratcheted tie down straps. I crossed them over to get a more solid tie down.

After driving for a few miles stop and check all tie downs.

Here's picture of mine before hauling it to Las vegas for the 40th upgrade.

100_0612.jpg

Great info guys. Thanks!!!

I was aware of the folding fenders. Found that out AFTER hauling a Mustang GT and climbing in and out thru the trunk. Just wasn't sure if the doors on a lowered car would clear.

I plan on using a couple large tie downs for the rear and I have plenty of 2x10 of varying length, just in case.

Again, thanks for the info!!!

Good luck on the move. I have a U-Haul rental outlet at my store(4 years). Specify if you can, and request a W model auto transport (I have loaded vettes, ferrari's, most any low profile care you can think of on these). The W model is a wider version and a little easier to load. Also , if you can, have the front of the trailer as high as you can, this lowers the rear of the trailer and reduces the ramp angle. Like was mentioned before, you will need some 2 X6 pieces 2 to 3 feet long. Put these under the front wheels so it will elevate the front end so it will not hit the ramps or other part of the trailer. You may need to put them under the rear tires also if the angle is to steep. Don't wrap the rear safety chain over your brake line and crimp or damage it.

Take car and be careful.

Thanks!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! It doesn't fit!

DO NOT attempt to load it as I tried and had to fix the damage!! Don't say you weren't warned

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! It doesn't fit!

DO NOT attempt to load it as I tried and had to fix the damage!! Don't say you weren't warned

I forgot something... U-Haul or Penske trailer isn't long enough and the front bumper cover will smash against their front-end

I forgot something... U-Haul or Penske trailer isn't long enough and the front bumper cover will smash against their front-end

I hauled my new GT500 from Houston, TX to Tacoma, WA, 2500 miles. I put a 18"- 2"x10" on the trailer under the front wheels and that allowed the front spoiler to clear the front of the trailer.

I pulled the trailer with a F250 gas pick up, no problem.

JMO. I HAD LOOKED AT TOWING MY SGT WITH A U-HAUL TRAILER WHEN IN A

PINCH AND FOUND THE FOLLOWING ISSUES:

1) THE FRONT SPOILER WILL HIT THE FRONT OF THE TRAILER/CAR IS TO LOW.

2) YOU CAN NOT USE BOARDS AT THE FRONT OF THE TRAILER BECAUSE OF

THE WHEEL STRAP TIE DOWNS USED BY UHAUL AND THE BOARDS MOVING.

LET ME TAKE THAT BACK YOU CAN USE BOARDS BUT YOU WILL NEED TO

HAVE MORE THAN 2" OF HEIGHT ; IT IS CLOSER TO 5" AND THAT

MAKES IT EXTREMELY DIFFICULT.

3) THE SGT IS LOWERD MORE THAN THE GT500 CREATING LOADING ANGLE

PROBLEMS ; BESIDES SCRAPING THE NOSE WHEN LOADING AND AT THE

FRONT OF THE TRAILER.

THAT BEING SAID, YOU CAN PROBABLY MAKE IT WORK , BUT THERE IS A VERY

GOOD CHANCE YOU WILL SCRAPE UP THE NOSE OF YOUR CAR IF YOU ARE

NOT EXTREMELY CAREFUL AND HAVE SOMEONE HELPING YOU THAT KNOWS

WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

I HAVE TOWED OVER TWO HUNDERED MUSCLE ,CLASSIC AND EXOTIC CARS AND

THE SGT BY FAR WAS A NIGHTMARE AND IS WHY I BOUGHT A SPECIAL TRAILER

FOR THE NEEDS OF THE SGT.

BEST OF LUCK !!!

SCOTTY

I hauled my new GT500 from Houston, TX to Tacoma, WA, 2500 miles. I put a 18"- 2"x10" on the trailer under the front wheels and that allowed the front spoiler to clear the front of the trailer.

I pulled the trailer with a F250 gas pick up, no problem.

You have a GT500, the GT's sit lower and mine is an GT/SC with the 20" Razors...NO fit

JMO. I HAD LOOKED AT TOWING MY SGT WITH A U-HAUL TRAILER WHEN IN A

PINCH AND FOUND THE FOLLOWING ISSUES:

1) THE FRONT SPOILER WILL HIT THE FRONT OF THE TRAILER/CAR IS TO LOW.

2) YOU CAN NOT USE BOARDS AT THE FRONT OF THE TRAILER BECAUSE OF

THE WHEEL STRAP TIE DOWNS USED BY UHAUL AND THE BOARDS MOVING.

LET ME TAKE THAT BACK YOU CAN USE BOARDS BUT YOU WILL NEED TO

HAVE MORE THAN 2" OF HEIGHT ; IT IS CLOSER TO 5" AND THAT

MAKES IT EXTREMELY DIFFICULT.

3) THE SGT IS LOWERD MORE THAN THE GT500 CREATING LOADING ANGLE

PROBLEMS ; BESIDES SCRAPING THE NOSE WHEN LOADING AND AT THE

FRONT OF THE TRAILER.

THAT BEING SAID, YOU CAN PROBABLY MAKE IT WORK , BUT THERE IS A VERY

GOOD CHANCE YOU WILL SCRAPE UP THE NOSE OF YOUR CAR IF YOU ARE

NOT EXTREMELY CAREFUL AND HAVE SOMEONE HELPING YOU THAT KNOWS

WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

I HAVE TOWED OVER TWO HUNDERED MUSCLE ,CLASSIC AND EXOTIC CARS AND

THE SGT BY FAR WAS A NIGHTMARE AND IS WHY I BOUGHT A SPECIAL TRAILER

FOR THE NEEDS OF THE SGT.

BEST OF LUCK !!!

SCOTTY

Exactly!

Thanks!!!

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO CRAWL OUT THRU THE TRUNK.THE DRIVER SIDE FENDER FOLDS DOWN.

Thanks again for all the info everyone.

As an update, I decided not to haul the SGT down. My buddy is going to follow me down in his Mustang GT. We are going to make a nice cruise out of it. A side trip thru Deals Gap :drool: (for those unfamiliar with Deals Gap, check this out http://www.tailofthedragon.com/ ) and the surrounding area. We're going to spend an entire afternoon there. Then on down to South Carolina.

Then, we're going to drywall the garage before returning to Indiana in his car.

Sounds like a lot more fun than towing a U-Haul :shift:

Thanks again for all the info everyone.

As an update, I decided not to haul the SGT down. My buddy is going to follow me down in his Mustang GT. We are going to make a nice cruise out of it. A side trip thru Deals Gap :drool: (for those unfamiliar with Deals Gap, check this out http://www.tailofthedragon.com/ ) and the surrounding area. We're going to spend an entire afternoon there. Then on down to South Carolina.

Then, we're going to drywall the garage before returning to Indiana in his car.

Sounds like a lot more fun than towing a U-Haul :shift:

that does sound like more fun, except the part about hanging drywall! Let me know once you get settled in and we can meet up somewhere....Craig

Archived