TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rumor: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0-Liter 4V DOHC motor to have 425 Horsepower

inyadreems

Rumor: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0-Liter 4V DOHC motor to have 425 Horsepower

November 13, 2009 Mustang News No Comments

The excitement has been building for many months about the 2011 Mustang GT’s new 5.0-liter motor and while nobody has concrete evidence on what actual horsepower numbers will be except Ford Motor Company the rumor machine keeps on chugging. The latest rumor making the rounds on various Mustang forums comes to us from an October post over on ModularFords.com. In the post a forum member from a respected Mustang tuner writes how the new 2011 Mustang 5.0-liter “Coyote” motor will produce an advertised 425 horsepower. He goes on to say the engine actually made 468 horsepower on the dyno and later in the thread he says he has engine part #’s to prove it.

Is this just another of the countless rumors or does this guy actually know something. It’s to hard to tell because the info is coming from a respected Mustang tuner who might have knowledge of Ford’s newest engines coming down the pipe. On the other hand why would Ford ever release or let anybody have access to this type of information before they officially let the news out themselves. Another thought popped into my head and it was so simple, is this just a publicity stunt on the Mustang tuners part to get their name in the news, maybe. Who really knows is the big question and I say to you nobody knows because Ford is smarter than that. I guess we will all have to wait three more weeks to find out at the L.A. Auto Show in December.

Also a few other new tidbits of information about the 2011 Mustang is there will be a few new colors, Race Red and Ingot Silver. These colors were first reported awhile ago on Stangnet but I just came across them so I thought why not post them up.

Source: ModularFords.com

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say that this motor will be making 400-425 HP (flywheel) out of the factory. With a meaner tune from Ford along with the additional 20 cubes, I think that's a more realistic goal. Not sure how the DOHC will affect my assertion, but I just don't see a 468 HP 5.0 coming out of Ford and passing CA smog. It'll be well worth watching as it develops though. :lurk:

Ken

While I think the 5.0L can be modded/tuned to produce that number, there is *NO WAY* that an N/A 4v 5.0L in a $28,000 car will make 468HP stock.

Who said ??? a 5.0L with a 6 speed is gonna be a whole lot more than 28K. I guess we'll have to wait till the LA auto show to see the numbers and the specs.

While I think the 5.0L can be modded/tuned to produce that number, there is *NO WAY* that an N/A 4v 5.0L in a $28,000 car will make 468HP stock.

Right, Evo said 425 from Ford and then hinted that it won't be too hard to get 468HP out of it.

Ford matched the HP of the Camaro with the new V6 so maybe Ford will debut the 5.0 @ 425HP to match the Camaro V8. No doubt the new V8 will not be less than 400 HP.

The Honda F22C Engine (in the S2000) is a 2.2L I4 N/A engine making 237bhp at 8,000 RPM or 107.7 bhp per liter.

The BMW S65 Engine (in the current M3) is a 4.0L V8 N/A engine making 417bhp at 8,400 RPM or 104.25 bhp per liter.

For the new Coyota 5.0L engine to make 468bhp it would have to make 93.6 bhp per liter; I don't think that is too much of a stretch considering the above numbers? :headscratch:

The Honda F22C Engine (in the S2000) is a 2.2L I4 N/A engine making 237bhp at 8,000 RPM or 107.7 bhp per liter.

The BMW S65 Engine (in the current M3) is a 4.0L V8 N/A engine making 417bhp at 8,400 RPM or 104.25 bhp per liter.

For the new Coyota 5.0L engine to make 468bhp it would have to make 93.6 bhp per liter; I don't think that is too much of a stretch considering the above numbers? :headscratch:

Read the $28,000 part. The Honda is a 4 banger. Double up its parts and make them spin to 8k. $28k car? You'll notice any engine with 100HP/liter has one of two things: 1. Boost. 2. RPM.

The M3 costs $65,000. I am aware of the technology available. A factory tuned and dressed, emissions compliant V8 in a $28k car won't be spinning to 8400 RPM. Modding one to 468HP sure. Factory at that price? No. Are you guys really expecting Ford's new N/A 5.0L to be 32HP under their 2007 blown 5.4L 4V for half the price of the car? Yes I am aware it is an older engine.

I am expecting a Ti-VCT 5.0L V8 that revs to 7k and makes 400HP from Ford. If you guys are expecting an 8,000 RPM monster in a $28,000 car then you will be disappointed.

The 6 speed manual is *standard* as it is on the V6 and the GT will be under $30k starting price.

All I know is that the new V6's numbers sure surprised the hell out of me. I'd love to get a similar surprise from the Coyote. :lurk:

82HP/liter in the 3.7. Same efficiency would put the 5.0L at 412 =)

Were you really surprised? Nissan and others have been doing 3.5L 300HP sixxers for years....

^ Yup. I really was surprised.

And 412 would surprise me out of the 5.0, honestly. Consider where the 4.6 is at for 2010. I'm not saying it's not going to happen. But to draw conclusions based on anything other than reliable information out of the factory is simply speculation and a waste of time, IMO.

Ken

Read the $28,000 part. The Honda is a 4 banger. Double up its parts and make them spin to 8k. $28k car? You'll notice any engine with 100HP/liter has one of two things: 1. Boost. 2. RPM.

The M3 costs $65,000. I am aware of the technology available. A factory tuned and dressed, emissions compliant V8 in a $28k car won't be spinning to 8400 RPM. Modding one to 468HP sure. Factory at that price? No. Are you guys really expecting Ford's new N/A 5.0L to be 32HP under their 2007 blown 5.4L 4V for half the price of the car? Yes I am aware it is an older engine.

I am expecting a Ti-VCT 5.0L V8 that revs to 7k and makes 400HP from Ford. If you guys are expecting an 8,000 RPM monster in a $28,000 car then you will be disappointed.

The 6 speed manual is *standard* as it is on the V6 and the GT will be under $30k starting price.

I never said that IT WILL HAVE 468 bhp; I just said it is doable. I also understand the boost/RPM consideration. Frankly I am expecting the new 5.0 to be spinning close to 7K and making just over 400 bhp from the factory. I don't expect the new GTs to be priced at 28K either; my guess is somewhere around 35K for starters. Considering the Challenger SRTs and Camaro SSs are at 40K or a little more, it will still be a good deal at 35K. Granted an M3 is a 65K car, but they only sell a small volume of those vehicles. Considering the numbers of GTs that get sold; Ford could feasably produce a motor/drivetrain capable of spinning to 8k and making 468 bhp, I just don't see it happening. However, Honda did it with the S2000 and granted it is "half the engine" but like I said above I doubt the new GTs are going to be 28K in price.

I never said that IT WILL HAVE 468 bhp; I just said it is doable. I also understand the boost/RPM consideration. Frankly I am expecting the new 5.0 to be spinning close to 7K and making just over 400 bhp from the factory. I don't expect the new GTs to be priced at 28K either; my guess is somewhere around 35K for starters. Considering the Challenger SRTs and Camaro SSs are at 40K or a little more, it will still be a good deal at 35K. Granted an M3 is a 65K car, but they only sell a small volume of those vehicles. Considering the numbers of GTs that get sold; Ford could feasably produce a motor/drivetrain capable of spinning to 8k and making 468 bhp, I just don't see it happening. However, Honda did it with the S2000 and granted it is "half the engine" but like I said above I doubt the new GTs are going to be 28K in price.

Camaro SS starts at around ~$32k.

I think that whatever they do, they're going to amp it up and start making it a competitor with the Camaro. They got away with a low-key V6 and 300hp V8 until it came out...

Now we need to play catch up. I'm expecting some very cool things to happen with the V6 and V8 Mustangs coming up. :yup:

:lurk:

Camaro SS starts at around ~$32k.

True, but everyone of them I have looked at have been "nicely optioned" and pushing 40K. Heck, the V-6s I looked at were hovering around 30K.

I think that whatever they do, they're going to amp it up and start making it a competitor with the Camaro. They got away with a low-key V6 and 300hp V8 until it came out...

Now we need to play catch up. I'm expecting some very cool things to happen with the V6 and V8 Mustangs coming up. :yup:

:lurk:

Yes I agree and it will be interesting to see what actually gets rolled out for the public. It would be nice to have a 400bhp+ N/A Mustang that costs in the low 30s. Might make for a fun DD. :happy feet:

Archived