TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT-H Flat Tire Dilemma

jw last

OK, so here's something most GT-H owners haven't had the chance to find out yet. Got a flat the other day (left rear to be exact) in the middle of nowhere. Got the trunk jack out to mount the spare and lo and behold there is no way the trunk jack is going to fit under the car the car sits so low with a flat tire. Had a small air compressor with me, refilled the tire (which I had to stop and do every 10 minutes of so til I got home).

Question is has anybody found a low profile trunk jack to put in the car? I've read the "drive the car up on 2x4s" technique, etc, but wondering what others are doing (if anything besides AAA) for those "middle of nowhere" flat tires. Did find a low profile billet jack (only 1 1/2"tall) at Garden of Speedin, but $375 is a little rich for my blood.

JT

OK, so here's something most GT-H owners haven't had the chance to find out yet. Got a flat the other day (left rear to be exact) in the middle of nowhere. Got the trunk jack out to mount the spare and lo and behold there is no way the trunk jack is going to fit under the car the car sits so low with a flat tire. Had a small air compressor with me, refilled the tire (which I had to stop and do every 10 minutes of so til I got home).

Question is has anybody found a low profile trunk jack to put in the car? I've read the "drive the car up on 2x4s" technique, etc, but wondering what others are doing (if anything besides AAA) for those "middle of nowhere" flat tires. Did find a low profile billet jack (only 1 1/2"tall) at Garden of Speedin, but $375 is a little rich for my blood.

JT

I would suggest having a compact size jackstand in the trunk. If you have a flat on the front, then jack up the car at the REAR jacking point to the maximum safe height, then put the jackstand under the rear of the car. This should then give you the clearance you need to get the jack under the FRONT jacking point located near the leading edge of the front door. A second alternative would be to experiment with other make car's scissors type jacks and see if you can find one that fits under the front. A bit of a pain but I feel the "tire inflator" gizmo that came in the 2007 and up Shelbys is even more of a pain.

Archived