TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Get This!

ProntoTonto

My car had its air filter clamp tightened too tight like some others here and the clamp cut down through the top rubber layer of the collar. The dealer ordered me a new one about 5 weeks ago and it has been back ordered. I called Ford CS last week and the rep told me they would check into it and they would get back to me today. The rep said that she had checked with the dealer and then told me that as the part comes from Shelby there may be nothing they could do! Only if it was back ordered from Ford could she "escalate" the issue. I told her that it is a Ford part and gave her the part number. I also told her that the service mgr ordered it from Ford and that it was back ordered from Ford. She said that she would check with the delear again and give me a call back by today.

Well today I give her a call and leave a v/m. I get a call back an hour or so later from her assistant who says the CS rep has been in meetings all day and some regarding the air filter as - get this - the part number for the air filter is wrong in the Ford parts catalog and when the dealer tries to order it, it comes up with the wrong part (?). Again, I tell this person the part number in the Shelby supplement manual. She can't reply with anything except that the part number is not right and that the CS rep will get back with me on Friday!

Hmm. That's just flat-out overtightening.

On a regular production unit, I'd suspect the robot that has that task is calibrated wrong.

Although the engines on the GT500's are supposedly hand built at the Romeo plant I'm not so sure about the rest of the car.

Shoot, now I'm gonna have ta go check mine out!

Phill Pollard

2010 Kona Blue/White GT500

AgentIan,

Do you have the filter and box? If so, would you let me know the part number on them as Ford CS is telling me the part number stated in our manual's is wrong.

ProntoTonto,

Drove my car to the dealership today and had the new filter fitted. They fitted the Ford Racing part # M-9601-D. Looked much more robust and solid than the original. :D

Here is the link to the part on the FRPP website: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...tKeyField=10509

Megan.

Thanks very much Megan, I may go with that part. 5 weeks and counting for an air filer - ridiculous! Well Ford CS now tells me that the dealer ordered the part from Shelby and now have been told that the part is a Ford part which I told them from day 1. Well Ford CS had their own story on this previosuly too as can be seen in my first post. Well now finally they all agree that this is a Ford part but neither my dealer nor Ford CS can tell me when I may expect the air filter. All I get is that it is back ordered and they are trying to get the part. I have never had a car where it was so difficult to get a darn air filter!!!

Got another issue with this dealer which I'll post in another topic. My experience so far with Ford is that CS leaves a lot to be desired.

Edited by ProntoTonto

ProntoTonto,

Drove my car to the dealership today and had the new filter fitted. They fitted the Ford Racing part # M-9601-D. Looked much more robust and solid than the original. :D

Here is the link to the part on the FRPP website: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_...tKeyField=10509

Megan.

Hey Megan, did they have to do any modifications to that filter for it to fit properly? Its listed as fitting 2007-09, not specifically for 2010's. If its fits nice i will buy one, a Kona Blue car should have a blue filter, No?

Also, what did they hit you for it at the dealer? I just found this filter on eBay (Yates Performance) for $59.95 with free shipping...

Thx,

GUS

Edited by goldgus

All I get is that it is back ordered and they are trying to get the part. I have never had a car where it was so difficult to get a darn air filter!!!

Perhaps that is why my dealer ordered and fitted the Ford racing part? I did not ask for them to do so. It was only when they fitted the part today that I noticed it was the Ford racing part.

Previously I had just showed them the split in the original air filter - which was almost identical to that in the pictures that you posted. As I already mentioned, they then phoned my two days later to say that they had the part in. The only delay that I had was waiting for a Saturday that's been warm enough for me to drive it to the dealership!

I ended up quite glad that I needed to go to the dealer and have my air filter replaced today as the drive was classic!.......went the long way because this car is so enjoyable and fun to drive (40 vs 30 miles), and ended up playing cat and mouse with a 911 (997) turbo for most of the drive there. Luckily it was pushing 60 degrees and I had plenty of traction. Absolutely Fantastic! Wish I'd had had a front and rear mounted camera!

:peelout:

Man my hood was shaking something rotten at the speeds we were going today,......damn scary.

Megs.

Hey Megan, did they have to do any modifications to that filter for it to fit properly? Its listed as fitting 2007-09, not specifically for 2010's. If its fits nice i will buy one, a Kona Blue car should have a blue filter, No?

Also, what did they hit you for it at the dealer? I just found this filter on eBay (Yates Performance) for $59.95 with free shipping...

Thx,

GUS

Hi Gus,

No modifications required. It took the technician 10 minutes tops to fit - and most of that was him placing the protective sheets on my fender and front end. I think that that the previous 07-09/KR cold air induction kit is more or less exactly the standard 2010 equipment.

Zero charge from the dealer for either parts or labour, and, yep, it definitely looks better being blue :) I also think it may actually sound a little louder and more purposeful – if that makes any sense?

Megs

Hi Gus,

No modifications required. It took the technician 10 minutes tops to fit - and most of that was him placing the protective sheets on my fender and front end. I think that that the previous 07-09/KR cold air induction kit is more or less exactly the standard 2010 equipment.

Zero charge from the dealer for either parts or labour, and, yep, it definitely looks better being blue :) I also think it may actually sound a little louder and more purposeful – if that makes any sense?

Megs

Thanks Megs-

Glad it worked out for you so well... I'm gonna have to buy mine if I want it, because my factory original filter is not damaged, (Oh wait, just a little twist with the phillips head screwdriver...)

.............I think that that the previous 07-09/KR cold air induction kit is more or less exactly the standard 2010 equipment.

No it's not. I did a comparison with my KR and a buddy's 2010 GT500. I asked him if his car came with a strut brace across the engine. He said due to the CAI tube, one would not fit. We then opened our hoods and took a look. We discovered the tubes, air filter, and even the housing where the air filter sits is all different. He thinks if he had the same set up as me, he would be able to fit a strut brace.

That is correct Fia. None of the parts match. The '10 intake is all new and completely different that that of the KR or the FRPP intake.

Sure is nice that '10 owners get an open element system off the floor though. I think I paid an additional $659 for the FRPP kit, just to get to the 540hp that the newer cars get standard...

Tob

No it's not. I did a comparison with my KR and a buddy's 2010 GT500. I asked him if his car came with a strut brace across the engine. He said due to the CAI tube, one would not fit. We then opened our hoods and took a look. We discovered the tubes, air filter, and even the housing where the air filter sits is all different. He thinks if he had the same set up as me, he would be able to fit a strut brace.

Yep,...sorry about that FiaCobra. I guess that the parts are not exactly the same otherwise my FR3 handling pack strut brace would have fitted as you say :doh: ...I knew that......and after all, the KR did have a $30K higher MSRP ;)

Perhaps it's fairer to say that the standard cold air induction kit from the 2010 is a newer production version of the SVT and KR kits - as it gives the same horsepower increase and has the same 113 mm inlet diameter?

Anyway, here is a couple of pictures of the M-9601-D Ford racing filter (as used in the KR?) installed in my car, it matched up perfectly to the standard 2010 inlet tube and fitted into the housing perfectly......shame that they appeared to have ordered me the Grabber rather than Kona blue one :rolleyes:

DSC02053.jpg

DSC02052.jpg

Megs.

Edited by AgentIan

Nice to see it fits. That said, I wonder why Ford didn't just use this one instead going with one with a different media.

Ian, whoever installed it could have at least rotated the filter so that the crimped pleats were on the bottom. :doh:

Edited by Tob

Nice to see it fits. That said, I wonder why Ford didn't just use this one instead going with one with a different media.

Ian, whoever installed it could have at least rotated the filter so that the crimped pleats were on the bottom. :doh:

Isn't the OEM 2010 filter a dry element, while the FRPP is oiled?

Yep,...sorry about that FiaCobra. I guess that the parts are not exactly the same otherwise my FR3 handling pack strut brace would have fitted as you say :doh: ...I knew that......and after all, the KR did have a $30K higher MSRP ;)

Perhaps it's fairer to say that the standard cold air induction kit from the 2010 is a newer production version of the SVT and KR kits - as it gives the same horsepower increase and has the same 113 mm inlet diameter?

Anyway, here is a couple of pictures of the M-9601-D Ford racing filter (as used in the KR?) installed in my car, it matched up perfectly to the standard 2010 inlet tube and fitted into the housing perfectly......shame that they appeared to have ordered me the Grabber rather than Kona blue one :rolleyes:

DSC02053.jpg

DSC02052.jpg

Megs.

Megs-

You gotta get rid of that ugly intake tube... I changed mine out for the JLT Carbon Fiber tube, but there are a few other less expensive options now too... Once you do that, you can put your FRPP Strut tower brace on. I have a nice Kona blue strut tower brace on my car now and it looks mint... just like this...

post-24738-1258332510_thumb.jpg

Megs-

You gotta get rid of that ugly intake tube... I changed mine out for the JLT Carbon Fiber tube, but there are a few other less expensive options now too... Once you do that, you can put your FRPP Strut tower brace on. I have a nice Kona blue strut tower brace on my car now and it looks mint... just like this...

Looks great Gus,...that does sort of put my entire underhood appearance to shame.

I've heard the JLT intake tube has no baffles like the stock tube so you hear more of the whine from the supercharger like in the 07-09s - is that in fact true? Sure does dress up the engine nice...

I installed the blue JLT carbon fiber intake tube on my Kona Blue GT500 and it looks great. It is a straight through design with no baffels. The motor sounds the same as it always did except when you have boost. Then you hear the whine from the super charger. I like it.

I've heard the JLT intake tube has no baffles like the stock tube so you hear more of the whine from the supercharger like in the 07-09s - is that in fact true? Sure does dress up the engine nice...

Oh yes, it does bring back some of that nice supercharger whine. I LOVE that sound... It also flows air much better, and lets you use a strut tower brace on your 2010 again...