TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Oil drain plug torque specs?

gman1920

I'm new to the forum ( I know, LURKER!!). Just getting ready for my 1st oil change and wanted to know the tightening specs. Anyone with service manual out there? Any specifics about "lessons learned" while changing the oil on the 2010 too or pretty straightforward?

dont know the tightening specs,but the filter is on real tight.Thankfully i had one of those filter wrenches that has grabber teeth on the end, otherwise, as someone said on the forum, it takes "2 men and a boy" to get it off. I was lucky enough to use a friends lift, si could could put all if my 6-3 220lbs into it.If youre laying on the floor,good luck

I am not sure if anyone here has heard of this but I have used this for years and on my last 5 cars.

It is called "Fumoto Valve" http://www.fumotousa.com

Trust me you will LOVE it. And please don't reply with all the BS about dirt, crud...ect getting in the hole. This is not a valid arguement and like I have said I have used this on my last 5 cars. And YES I have already put one on the new Shelby.

Never again worry about dropping the drain plug into the oil pan, or having to chase it across the floor as it rolls away.

I am in no way tied to this product or company. The Diesel guys I used to run with turned me on to this item, and I have never looked at anothe OE drain plug again.

Get ready for all the oil to drain all over the filter, your hands, and the cross memebers below it. Otherwise a pretty easy job.

Cut yourself a piece of cardboard and fold in into a "V". Place it under the filter, Loosen the oil filter a little at a time, and the oil will drain off the filter onto the cardboard and down into the oil pan.

This makes the process take a few minutes longer, but you will have no oil to wipe off the under side of the car.

Get ready for all the oil to drain all over the filter, your hands, and the cross memebers below it. Otherwise a pretty easy job.

If you loosen the filter then slip a plastic bag over it then spin it off into the bag (make sure bag has no holes)you will have no mess. Then lub the new filter seal with clean oil spin it on until makes contact & tighten it by turning 3/4 of a turn. Next oil change you won`t need a filter wrench to take it off.

Archived