TEAM SHELBY FORUM

clutch/flywheel upgrade

Regardless of which direction I go with this engine, it's coming out either way. This little paragraph from Shaun at AED regarding the potential engine build and install caught my attention:

"That being said, any parts we take off, we'll install NEW parts at no charge. IE, new clutch, headers, etc. It's a great time to get other modifications done as the added labor is either zero (so it's installed for free), or at a reduced price (like a K-member swap) since the added labor to do the install is reduced. This is how our customers save $$$ in the long run."

If I'm paying to have a clutch and flywheel installed, no matter if it's stock or an upgrade, I may as well consider the options. So which clutch and flywheel combo would be a solid choice for the SGT? I've heard good things about Spec and McLeod. I had the Centerforce dual friction in my 66 and wasn't blown away by it or anything.

Price is important, by the way. Thanks for any input.

Ken

6912-07_MED.jpg

If I'm paying to have a clutch and flywheel installed, no matter if it's stock or an upgrade, I may as well consider the options. So which clutch and flywheel combo would be a solid choice for the SGT? I've heard good things about Spec and McLeod.

I'm not that "up to date" on it all Ken, that I will admit. But Dennis at Tasca recommended and installed the McLoed twin disc and aluminum flywheel in my SGT when they did the GT/SC upgrade. I can't comment on how well it works either because I don't pick the car up until this Friday. Just giving you some info.

After blowing pieces of my OEM clutch thru the flywheel (at only 2500 miles), I paid the differance to upgrade to a Fidanza aluminum flywheel & 2.1 Kevlar clutch. Labor was covered by Ford.

http://www.fidanza.com/2Point1.aspx

So far I like it, even tho I haven't really been able to test it, since there is a 800 mile in town break-in period. I'm just now reaching that mark since the SGT only gets out of the garage a few days a month until spring time, but I can say there is a night and day differance when it comes to clutch engagement vs the oem unit :)

Regardless of which direction I go with this engine, it's coming out either way. This little paragraph from Shaun at AED regarding the potential engine build and install caught my attention:

"That being said, any parts we take off, we'll install NEW parts at no charge. IE, new clutch, headers, etc. It's a great time to get other modifications done as the added labor is either zero (so it's installed for free), or at a reduced price (like a K-member swap) since the added labor to do the install is reduced. This is how our customers save $$$ in the long run."

If I'm paying to have a clutch and flywheel installed, no matter if it's stock or an upgrade, I may as well consider the options. So which clutch and flywheel combo would be a solid choice for the SGT? I've heard good things about Spec and McLeod. I had the Centerforce dual friction in my 66 and wasn't blown away by it or anything.

Price is important, by the way. Thanks for any input.

Ken

6912-07_MED.jpg

I went with the Ram 900/300 and the Fidanza 8 bolt aluminum flywheel and it's held up pretty good so far after a fair amount of abuse. The petal is a little stiff and there is a slight amount of chatter but you get used to it quickly,stop and go traffic gets old fast though. I should have upgraded my input shaft and went with the 26 spline when I had it out.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/05-09-mus...-8-bolt-p-12058

http://www.lethalperformance.com/05-09-mus...-spline-p-14677

Thanks for the feedback guys. These all sound to be very good options.

So for a direct replacement, I go with the 10 spline, correct? If I wanted to upgrade to the 26 spline, where do you find the correct input shaft?

Thanks again.

Ken

Thanks for the feedback guys. These all sound to be very good options.

So for a direct replacement, I go with the 10 spline, correct? If I wanted to upgrade to the 26 spline, where do you find the correct input shaft?

Thanks again.

Ken

Not sure about the 26 spline shaft but I think the trans has to come apart to change one out, the 10 spline is the direct replacement.

I'm not that "up to date" on it all Ken, that I will admit. But Dennis at Tasca recommended and installed the McLoed twin disc and aluminum flywheel in my SGT when they did the GT/SC upgrade. I can't comment on how well it works either because I don't pick the car up until this Friday. Just giving you some info.

I've heard nothing but good things about this setup. A couple local guys with over 600 hp went with this. I think the guys at AED will tell you the same thing.

OK thanks. Only reason I ask is because that's the option given on Lethal's site: http://www.lethalperformance.com/05-09-mus...-6-bolt-p-21641

Go with the RAM Hydraulic Release Bearing, it has a bleed line that you can run outside the bell housing, and place either at the housing or up on the firewall, so its easy to bleed after youve done laps on the track, this will cool down the release bearing, and keep the clutch from sticking.

Go with the RAM Hydraulic Release Bearing, it has a bleed line that you can run outside the bell housing, and place either at the housing or up on the firewall, so its easy to bleed after youve done laps on the track, this will cool down the release bearing, and keep the clutch from sticking.

I've got this McLeod bearing on my to do list http://www.lethalperformance.com/05-09-mus...ylinder-p-22626

• 2 weeks later...

My two cents after replacing stock clutch and two after market clutches. First clutch was a Spec 2+ with a re-surfaced stock flywheel. It lasted about 500 miles. Started slipping before break in was complete. Eventually Spec replaced under warranty. (much to my suprise).

2nd clutch was a zoom dual disc with aluminum flywheel and a ram slave unit. Clutch was super stiff I think my left leg got 2" bigger. Zoom tech said this was not correct so we pulled it out and sent it back, which they warrantied as well. The Ram unit was great except that the mechanic that installed it cut the guide rod short which could have caused the unit to get stuck which of course would ruin the clutch.

We pulled the zoom unit, the ram slave and replaced it with the warrantied spec and a new stock slave unit. so far this has been a sweet combination. I am getting 470rwhp with 450rwtq no problems so far. I have been to the track multiple times even hot lapping the car which is hard on the slave unit and I have not missed a gear.

I like the ram unit as it gives you the ability to bleed the clutch system which is a weak link with our car.

I did not like the aluminum flywheel. It felt like I had to give it more juice to get it rolling.

My suggestions:

1. New slave unit with new clutch

2. get the FRP braided line for the slave unit

3. break it in well before you get on it.

4. high temp fluid.

So you're running a resurfaced steel flywheel now or the aluminum one?

Thanks for the feedback man, that's all good stuff to know. If I can save the dough on the flywheel and be happier with the one I have, that would be awfully nice.

Ken

I went back to the stock steel flywheel. Glad to help.

So you're running a resurfaced steel flywheel now or the aluminum one?

Thanks for the feedback man, that's all good stuff to know. If I can save the dough on the flywheel and be happier with the one I have, that would be awfully nice.

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Stock flywheel isn't an option for me with my new 8 bolt crank. Anyone know of an aftermarket 8 bolt steel flywheel option?

Ken

M-6375-G46 Billet Steel-requires metric pressure plate bolts N602549-S51M

M-6375-R00 Aluminum-requires metric pressure plate bolts-N602549-S51m

These are both 8 bolt flywheels thru FRPP.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived