TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My Brake Upgrades!

I thought I would share some of my brake upgrade pics / vids with all of you. These brakes performed great during my recent track day at Summit Point. No fade and hard stops!

013.jpg

014.jpg

016.jpg

DSC00458.jpg

DSC00459.jpg

014-1.jpg

015-1.jpg

010.jpg

I thought I would share some of my brake upgrade pics / vids with all of you. These brakes performed great during my recent track day at Summit Point. No fade and hard stops!

Nice shots Ilmor! That looks very similiar to my upgrade...

rears01.jpg

sslines01.jpg

brakes02.jpg

driversside003.jpg

Dan

Well there goes the last unmodified 07 Shelby GT RIP, Looks good Bob, next up for you are GT500 take off's, yes it will happen,,,Dan cut your rear bump stops in half in the rear with a cable saw, it will make a difference , Rick

Nice shots Ilmor! That looks very similiar to my upgrade...

Dan

Same set up here ...did it a year ago and still love them

ATE Super Blue DOT 4 Racing Brake Fluid

Goodridge Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Hawk HPS Brake Pads

Baer DecelaRotors Drilled and Slotted

web.jpg

Just put them to test.....I took the long way home on the Blue Ridge Parkway from dropping my son off at school.

Good Decision and one you will nor regret

Take Care

Andrew

To complete my brake upgrade "package", however, I do want to install the Shelby brake ducts and lower grille as my next project.

ilmor-

I am looking to upgrade my brakes next year hopefully from a donor GT500. What did you use to bleed your brakes? I have the Motive Power Bleeder that I use on my Audi which works great and was looking to get the adaptor for the Mustang. The adaptor Motive specifies is for a GM but works for our cars.

- Kevin

Dan cut your rear bump stops in half in the rear with a cable saw, it will make a difference , Rick

Haha, so funny, I was looking at the pics and thought the same thing. Don't do it in half, just do the "muffin" top off. A cable saw or a razor blade/box cutter works best.

Haha, so funny, I was looking at the pics and thought the same thing. Don't do it in half, just do the "muffin" top off. A cable saw or a razor blade/box cutter works best.

What happens then?

Great setup Ilmore!!! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

ilmor-

I am looking to upgrade my brakes next year hopefully from a donor GT500. What did you use to bleed your brakes? I have the Motive Power Bleeder that I use on my Audi which works great and was looking to get the adaptor for the Mustang. The adaptor Motive specifies is for a GM but works for our cars.

- Kevin

I used an old plastic oil bottle and a plastic tube - the classic method! :hysterical:

Looks great ilmor! Same front setup I've been running and it's worked out well so far.

As for brake bleeding, I use Speed Bleeders, which are really very easy and nice to use.

Ken

Ken - thanks, and I do plan on adding those. I neglected to order them before I did the major work. Since I want to re-bleed the brakes again, I'll order a set before I do that.

What happens then?

When cornering the car will "sit" down on the bump stops and they compress.... However, as the car unloads out of the corner the bumpstops can/will rebound and cause undesired feedback. Think of it like a spring. By cutting the top off you let the car sit down further, in most cases never even touching the bumpstop. I've noticed since cutting mine that i've seen my car dig down much further.

for you guys that have been running this setup for a while, how are the centers and edges on the rotors holding up against rust? are they coated with anything? I've seen some that are coated w/ a black paint/epoxy that look nice, but usually in off brand that I don't recognize...

Ken - thanks, and I do plan on adding those. I neglected to order them before I did the major work. Since I want to re-bleed the brakes again, I'll order a set before I do that.

So, ilmor, by doing the rotors you've made the jump to ESP in Autox?

I just got my SGT and will keep it stock as long as I can to compete

in FS. I was hoping to compete with you next season on some of

the local events (I presume you've raced at Devens before).

-Tom

When cornering the car will "sit" down on the bump stops and they compress.... However, as the car unloads out of the corner the bumpstops can/will rebound and cause undesired feedback. Think of it like a spring. By cutting the top off you let the car sit down further, in most cases never even touching the bumpstop. I've noticed since cutting mine that i've seen my car dig down much further.

Do you have pics?

I wonder if there are after-market, shorter parts to save the originals...

Nice set-up but aren't the rotors on the wrong sides? I thought the slots top edge faces the front. :headscratch:

I hope not; but, it would seem that mine as oriented would more effectively spin the dust out of the slots.

Edit - I just emailed Baer about this. I have a bad feeling that mine are wrong. If so, I'd rather know before it gets too cold in my garage to change them around!

Thanks for alerting me!

So, ilmor, by doing the rotors you've made the jump to ESP in Autox?

I just got my SGT and will keep it stock as long as I can to compete

in FS. I was hoping to compete with you next season on some of

the local events (I presume you've raced at Devens before).

-Tom

Yeah, it moves me out of FS, but hey, I can lose just as bad in a modified class as I could in stock! :hysterical:

I could never compete w/ the other guys with the stock tires I have anyway.

Do you have pics?

I wonder if there are after-market, shorter parts to save the originals...

I can post some in a few days.... I've got to take off my track wheels (as soon as I get it back from the shop) so I can snap some then. If you are worried about the stock - I would imagine that they'd be pretty cheap from Ford. Buy another set. Shaving bumpstops on Mustangs has been a long time practice all the way back to the Fox-body days and maybe before?

Yeah, it moves me out of FS, but hey, I can lose just as bad in a modified class as I could in stock! :hysterical:

I could never compete w/ the other guys with the stock tires I have anyway.

Yes, I know the curse of street tires very well. That is why I'm already

saving for the $1500 or so for R tires and wheels. My first mod decision is

whether to spend the extra $500 and get the wheels I really want (CS66s).

I presume the FS legal brake pads and brake lines change is still worth it.

I've heard conflicting opinions on this using the stock rotors; it seems most

on this thread are happy with this setup using the drilled/slotted rotors.

-Tom

I've seen articles showing the contours recommended for various uses (drag, road course, autocross) when cutting the older-style solid-block bump stops. It's an arcane science in some parts; psychological warfare in others.

There are also some learned articles that say slots and holes in rotors are good to avoid fade on road courses others say holes weaken the rotors and can lead to failure. I read in one paper that in the absence of rotor slots, cutting slots in the pad faces would accomplish the same thing at next to no cost and without decreasing stopping power. Another school says increasing the diameter of rotors is nice for looks, but does not increase stopping power enough to bother with, if that was the motive for larger diameters.

Everyone gets to gather information and listen to the opinions, and make a choice.

Nice upgrade! I have heard the rear caliper piston is a pain to reset ... any advice?

I had access to the tool for it, so it was easy for me...

Looks great ilmor! Same front setup I've been running and it's worked out well so far.

As for brake bleeding, I use Speed Bleeders, which are really very easy and nice to use.

Ken

Ken,

Couple of questions:

Any idea if the speed bleeder (SB101S) for our OEM brakes will also fit the GT500 Brembo brakes?

Steel vs stainless?

Are you aware of any leakage issues as discussed in this thread?

http://forums.corvette.com/autocrossi...d-bleeders.html

Thanks

Larry

Quick and I'm sure a stupid question for you guys that upgraded the brakes..... Did you notice a huge difference? I just had mine done at Tasca with the GT/SC upgrade and I would swear my brakes were better before the upgrade?

The difference I've experienced is a "harder" pedal (quicker brake response), reduced braking distances (unable to measure exactly but it obvious to the senses), and no brake fade at all...not too mention the improved appearance for the shows...

Way to go Ilmor!!!

Makes for a much more enjoyable and SAFER day(s) at the track...

Just replace the OEM rubber with the Goodyear F1's and you'll be all set!!!

Gregg

07SGT0547

I agree with you Gregg! I'd like to wear out the BFG's first, but those damn things are tough!!

Archived