TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Drive it or Trailer it Back?

69deluxe

Have a serious question here. My car is supposed to arrive this week (got my fingers crossed!). Problem is that it will be 700 miles away in a region of the US that is forcasted to get some snow this week. I have a couple of options:

Option 1: Just fly out and drive it back (carefully). Yeah, it'll suck to get some snow and salt on it, but I'll give it a good wash once I get back home and then it'll be parked in a climate controlled garage thereafter. Also a little worried about the coolant leaks from poor hose fittings people have been talking about. How many people have experienced this? That would suck to get part way back and realize this problem.

Option 2: Take my F150 out there and rent a UHaul Car trailer and bring it back. There are several drawbacks to this. One, the UHaul trailer is not designed for low ground-clearance cars (their web site actually states not for the GT500). You can make it work but you'd need additional ramps to decrease the approach angle. Two, my truck is set up for 6000lbs and this load will be at that limit (4000lb GT500+2000lb Trailer). Three, I have never towed that much weight before so I'm feeling a little apprehensive about a long trip. I have heard too many horror stories of out of control trailers. The UHaul trailer is set up only for surge brakes, not electric brakes. Also, the car will get sprayed with snow and salt from the truck tires anyway unless I get my cover (which did not arrive yet :banghead:).

Option 3: Have a reputable car hauling company bring it out to me. What company would you recommend? Also, I just wouldn't trust anybody else with the car and I would be wondering when it will arrive, etc, etc (basically the same as how I'm feeling now).

Option 4: Wait until Spring to pick it up! :hysterical: Yeah right, not really an option.

What would you do?

Have a serious question here. My car is supposed to arrive this week (got my fingers crossed!). Problem is that it will be 700 miles away in a region of the US that is forcasted to get some snow this week. I have a couple of options:

Option 1: Just fly out and drive it back (carefully). Yeah, it'll suck to get some snow and salt on it, but I'll give it a good wash once I get back home and then it'll be parked in a climate controlled garage thereafter. Also a little worried about the coolant leaks from poor hose fittings people have been talking about. How many people have experienced this? That would suck to get part way back and realize this problem.

Option 2: Take my F150 out there and rent a UHaul Car trailer and bring it back. There are several drawbacks to this. One, the UHaul trailer is not designed for low ground-clearance cars (their web site actually states not for the GT500). You can make it work but you'd need additional ramps to decrease the approach angle. Two, my truck is set up for 6000lbs and this load will be at that limit (4000lb GT500+2000lb Trailer). Three, I have never towed that much weight before so I'm feeling a little apprehensive about a long trip. I have heard too many horror stories of out of control trailers. The UHaul trailer is set up only for surge brakes, not electric brakes. Also, the car will get sprayed with snow and salt from the truck tires anyway unless I get my cover (which did not arrive yet :banghead:).

Option 3: Have a reputable car hauling company bring it out to me. What company would you recommend? Also, I just wouldn't trust anybody else with the car and I would be wondering when it will arrive, etc, etc (basically the same as how I'm feeling now).

Option 4: Wait until Spring to pick it up! :hysterical: Yeah right, not really an option.

What would you do?

It's too late now, but you could of set it up to of been drop shipped for free to your local dealer if you would of changed the drop ship code before it was Bucked. Shoot. What a drag.

I pulled a 67 gto back from atlanta to cleveland 3 years back on one of those uhaul open car haulers...it pulled fantastic. i actually like the surge brakes better than electric. I'm going to trailer mine home from pa to ohio as soon as i get the call, but i've got an enclosed car hauler. One word of caution.....DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, put a cover on your car on an open trailer and pull it home!! You won't like what you see when you get to your destination and take the cover off.......

Thanks for all the replies. I have to admit I was favoring option 1 because, as Crispy23c put it, I will not be able to help myself.

For the record I trailer my Bullitt from Toronto to Rusk Texas every April. 1400 miles each way and my 04 F150 with the 4.6 hauls it just fine.

I'm not so worried about my F150 drivetrain (5.4L) as I am about being at the limit of my class III/IV hitch. I am hoping they were conservative when they rated it at 6000 lbs.

It's too late now, but you could of set it up to of been drop shipped for free to your local dealer if you would of changed the drop ship code before it was Bucked. Shoot. What a drag.

Yeah, but I ordered mine from a non-SVT/non-PA dealer who is really excited about it as well. This will be the only one they see for 2007 and I can imagine their dissapointment if I asked for this... Believe me, I pondered this for awhile since I correctly predicted back in May that mine would come when the snow drops.

One word of caution.....DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, put a cover on your car on an open trailer and pull it home!! You won't like what you see when you get to your destination and take the cover off.......

Really?! I never heard of this (thus exposing my inexperience with trailering). I was going to put a Noah cover on it to protect it then tightly tie a blue tarp on top of that. Will a Noah cover really scratch the finish? To leave it uncovered would seem risky as well since the uHaul trailers don't have stone guards. Also, it'll be covered with snow and salt from my truck if left uncovered.

I would put off delivery until the roads are clear & drive it home. Call me psychotic, but I wouldn't be able to help myself. Probably the last chance to drive it before you put it away for the winter! Yeah, I need help! :hyper: :hysterical:

Before your reply, I was beginning to think I was upside down on this whole subject since I was favoring option 1. This weekend is supposed to be clear so perhaps the roads will dry up.

Hello 69 Deluxe,

I was in a similar situation but only had 200 miles to drive. I trailered the car home with my H&H speed loader (open trailer) in a snow storm with salt on the freeway. I had to fabricate additional ramps to get the correct slope for clearance with the front spoiler. The main concern with the salt for me was it getting it all over the undercarriage.

When trailering on slick roads, it is critical to have control over the trailer brakes from the cab of your truck. You want to be able to have the tralier brakes slow the truck by pulling it from behind. Otherwise too much weight is pushing on the front wheels of your truck, and you won't have control on slick roads. The surge breaks won't allow you this control.

If your ford has a tow package, you can get a brake control unit and mount it in your cab. It can be wired into your system, and this allows you to brake with your truck and trailer brakes when you press on your brake or you can mannually engage just the trailer breaks when it is slick, especially if you are going downhill.

Don't tow with a cover on your car on an open trailer. The outside will get dirty. However, you won't get the undercarriage full of dirt and salt.

Good Luck. Hopes this helps.

I can understand everyones reticence about the snow...especially salted roads. But this car is fun to drive. I like CWHR's suggestion. If the roads are clear, then it would be a fun drive home! And even if you get a couple a hundred miles before having to trailer it...that's better than nothing.

+1 on the "no car cover on an open trailer". Scratch city.

As for the coolant leaks, I've had none so far and have driven it hard from day one.

Congratulations and have fun!

Oh my goodness...I had no idea you could have the car shipped to your local dealer!!! :o

I ordered my car from a dealer in Texas and I live in Southern California. When I ordered it, they told me I would have to ship the car on a private carrier from Texas to my home if I wasn't going to fly there to drive it back. They never gave me the option to drop ship!! So, I called my dealer here (remind you, I didn't buy it for them) and asked them if it were possible to ship the car to them. They said sure, just call the dealer in Texas and tell them to drop ship it to us and give them our address. The next phone call was to Texas.

Grabber, Thank you.

I have learned so much from all of you, so keep the info flowing.

I would put off delivery until the roads are clear & drive it home. Call me psychotic, but I wouldn't be able to help myself. Probably the last chance to drive it before you put it away for the winter! Yeah, I need help! :hyper: :hysterical:

+1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy feet:

Oh my goodness...I had no idea you could have the car shipped to your local dealer!!! :o

I ordered my car from a dealer in Texas and I live in Southern California. When I ordered it, they told me I would have to ship the car on a private carrier from Texas to my home if I wasn't going to fly there to drive it back. They never gave me the option to drop ship!! So, I called my dealer here (remind you, I didn't buy it for them) and asked them if it were possible to ship the car to them. They said sure, just call the dealer in Texas and tell them to drop ship it to us and give them our address. The next phone call was to Texas.

Grabber, Thank you.

I have learned so much from all of you, so keep the info flowing.

Mrs. or Miss. AlloyVert,

I am pleased to be of service.

If you ever need any thing else, just ask and I will be at your service.

All kidding aside, that is what is so great about this forum. Fun, and learn stuff and save a little bit of money now and then. Please post some photos of your car when it shows up, we all want to see it.

Mrs. or Miss. AlloyVert,

I am pleased to be of service.

If you ever need any thing else, just ask and I will be at your service.

All kidding aside, that is what is so great about this forum. Fun, and learn stuff and save a little bit of money now and then. Please post some photos of your car when it shows up, we all want to see it.

C'' ure not so bad , I think you might realy mean that . [ we know you were a love kid from the late 60's ----------------------1967----------YA------------] COOL! :hysterical:

I still haven't gotten the call that the car arrived. I don't sleep well at night-- instead of sugar plums, I dream about some dude taking the car off the hauler and having his own Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. :banghead: I called Ford CS and they confirmed that it was due this week at the dealer, but they have no further information. I'm in awe of the lack of communication between Ford and the hauler(s), and between the hauler(s) and the dealer. You'd think the hauler would let the dealer know when they are coming so they can plan space for the incoming inventory, etc.

I think my original question will be answered shortly anyway since upstate NY is overdue to start their usual 120+ inches of snow accumulation. This mild weather can't last too much longer... If the car doesn't arrive this week, then trailering it will likely be the only sensible option.

For what its worth I had mine transported, enclosed. I used intercity lines. They did an awesome job. I did go to see the car before it was loaded. The intercity's driver that i had was unbelievably meticulous. Cars are covered after they are loaded on the truck.

All in all a very good experience. Here is their website. www.intercitylines.com.

One thing to consider when using a transport company is to make sure that

1) the drivers work for and are employed by the company you choose

2) the delivery is door to door, meaning that they do not drop your car off at a terminal or transfer it to another truck going to your area. It should get loaded once at the dealer and off loaded at you delivery point.

Thanks

Teke

For what its worth I had mine transported, enclosed. I used intercity lines. They did an awesome job. I did go to see the car before it was loaded. The intercity's driver that i had was unbelievably meticulous. Cars are covered after they are loaded on the truck.

All in all a very good experience. Here is their website. www.intercitylines.com.

2) the delivery is door to door, meaning that they do not drop your car off at a terminal or transfer it to another truck going to your area. It should get loaded once at the dealer and off loaded at you delivery point.

Thanks

Teke

Thanks Teke! Sounds like very good advice and recommendation. Looking into them now...

Thanks

Teke

How much usually does it cost? say 800 miles max

How much usually does it cost? say 800 miles max

I called for quotes from several places (listed below). Total distance is roughly 700miles. Sounds like all of these are booked for most of January due to the upcoming Barrett-Jackson car auction. They are all reasonably priced considering that to trailer it myself will cost around $550 (trailer rental + gas) on an open trailer. These places all provide enclosed trailers with door-to-door service. Of these, I am leaning towards IntercityLines since they seem to take a little extra care when loading them.

IntercityLines : $964

Elite Auto Transport : $825

Fedex Passport Auto transport : $954

Now, I hope my car arrives this week so I can make final plans...I'm tired of this wait! :banghead:

Successful Transplant Completed Today! Had her shipped from Long Valley, NJ to Waterloo Il. with no problems at all. I'm so happy to have her back again!!! Shippers did a great job, see attached pixs. Took her for a 40 mile drive on a sunny day today. I Love this car!

post-5223-1167697392_thumb.jpg

post-5223-1167697861_thumb.jpg

post-5223-1167697392_thumb.jpg

post-5223-1167697861_thumb.jpg

Successful Transplant Completed Today! Had her shipped from Long Valley, NJ to Waterloo Il. with no problems at all. I'm so happy to have her back again!!! Shippers did a great job, see attached pixs. Took her for a 40 mile drive on a sunny day today. I Love this car!

Congrats!! How long did it take them to ship it?

Thanks alot for the links and prices, really not that bad!

I have heard lots of horror stories though and it is the loading and unloading that worries me! I would want to think any carrier would take great care as that is very critical!

This is a great thread and hope it stays active as I am sure many will use transporters for their Shelby's. I may have to if I find one a distance away for a good price.

thanks

That looks like a gravel road be careful.

Archived