TEAM SHELBY FORUM

metal in my oil

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dang - not sure what lash adjuster is/does but, hope everything is ok.

Warranty repair?

Maybe if I can strip the engine down of the mods (blower, cams, headers, IMRC plates, etc) and conceal the evidence of all these bolt ons.

The implication here is pretty bad, no matter which way I cut it. I'd be at the dealer already trying to trade it in honestly, except I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if someone else bought it and had it grenade on them. I'm kind of paralyzed at the moment, not sure which direction to go with this thing.

Fix it, go forged and go more boost...But:

WTF is the part?

I think that says whats next for the motor...Looks like valve train...if thats the case repair and clean out the pan and run it...dump the oil a few times to flush it and just track down any missing chunks...

How is the oil pressure? And is it making any clacking sounds? This would explain the rough running condition of the engine...valve issue...?

Maybe if I can strip the engine down of the mods (blower, cams, headers, IMRC plates, etc) and conceal the evidence of all these bolt ons.

The implication here is pretty bad, no matter which way I cut it. I'd be at the dealer already trying to trade it in honestly, except I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if someone else bought it and had it grenade on them. I'm kind of paralyzed at the moment, not sure which direction to go with this thing.

Dont panic till you check things out, It might not be all that bad, it might only be 1 adjuster, and no other damage.

There's a broken rocker arm laying next to my driver's cam. I'll get pics up shortly.

The cam is toast. You'll see how the lobe over that hole has eaten itself up pretty badly.

And yeah Brian, this is my DD. However, I do have other cars to drive. But when faced with the decision every morning, it's tough not to choose this one. But this doesn't mean loss of transportation by any means.

+1

(Sorry about your engine though)

Take Care

Andrew

Forged rods/pistons/crank wouldn't have prevented this. Had I already done a beefy bottom end, that money could have been shot because of this just as easily as the stock bottom end.

I'm hoping that I caught this in time, so that I don't have to touch the rotating assembly. If I do, then I'll obviously consider an upgrade. However, my concern at the moment is figuring out why this happened and what the extent of the damage is. Hopefully I'm just replacing a cam, rocker arm, and lash adjuster (plus a whole ton of oil).

I've got AED on the line regarding all this. I may get it towed out there tonight. I'll keep this thread posted on how this goes.

Ken

p.s. I may have to put my wife's Corolla on the rollers at our upcoming TS dyno day! :lol:

Well at least it may not be so bad. Keep us updated Ken. BTW, doesn't that Corolla have long tubes on it? I want to see that thing anyways. LOL

Haha yeah man it's got a long tube header, high flow catted mid pipe, cold air intake, and some other bolt ons. It's a little screamer. ;)

Forged rods/pistons/crank wouldn't have prevented this. Had I already done a beefy bottom end, that money could have been shot because of this just as easily as the stock bottom end.

I'm hoping that I caught this in time, so that I don't have to touch the rotating assembly. If I do, then I'll obviously consider an upgrade. However, my concern at the moment is figuring out why this happened and what the extent of the damage is. Hopefully I'm just replacing a cam, rocker arm, and lash adjuster (plus a whole ton of oil).

I've got AED on the line regarding all this. I may get it towed out there tonight. I'll keep this thread posted on how this goes.

Ken

p.s. I may have to put my wife's Corolla on the rollers at our upcoming TS dyno day! :lol:

Ken, I've read Ford has had alot of problems with loose adjusters, and broken rockers. Check out this artical at Secondstreetspeed.com, Click on Articals, Then Modular Rock and Roll, pretty enteresting.

Ken, I've read Ford has had alot of problems with loose adjusters, and broken rockers. Check out this artical at Secondstreetspeed.com, Click on Articals, Then Modular Rock and Roll, pretty enteresting.

This is really good info. However, they don't list the 3V as an option. Are the rockers the same across all mod motors still or are these different?

I'm running Comp stage 2 XFI cams with Comp valve springs and retainers. At the time of install, I asked about rockers, wondering how the stock ones would hold up with the other valvetrain upgrades. I was told there weren't any issues at all. Apparently that's not the case.

Does anyone else build an aftermarket mod rocker?

Thanks for the link.

Ken

Wow that sucks Ken. Sorry to hear about that. Who did you say installed your cams? If I had to guess, I would say the roller stopped rolling but then the question is why? More than likely it was lack of lubrication but a bent valve could be a possibility. Do you have the stock cams to put back in? I would try that if the valve is free and then do a couple of quick oil changes.

Wow that sucks Ken. Sorry to hear about that. Who did you say installed your cams? If I had to guess, I would say the roller stopped rolling but then the question is why? More than likely it was lack of lubrication but a bent valve could be a possibility. Do you have the stock cams to put back in? I would try that if the valve is free and then do a couple of quick oil changes.

Force Fed Performance in Sac did the cam install. They're the same shop that built Carl's MMR long block.

I do have the stock cams yeah. That's the best quick fix I think. I just don't have the Ford spring compressor to do the job myself.

It really sucks, because I loved these cams as much as I love the blower.

Ken, MMR has Jessel Billet cam Followers, They show for 2V-4V, but they'll be the same for 3V. Their Really Expensive, 1900, for 16, Give Them a Call.

Thanks a lot. I've got plenty to talk with MMR about already, but I'll just add that to the list.

I finally got the filter cut open and found it full of very fine metal dust. This is not looking good.

Archived