TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Performance differences

BDrool

Something I find interesting and annoying at the same time. I got my GT500 beginning of July. Blower came on as expected and produced nice power. Hookup was decent with hot tires. Now, cold temps in November, tires don't grab for squat however, the motor feels like it's pumping like non-other. The cold air, denser, and cooler S/C is nice but no traction now. I'm not a smoker but I do like to put the power down now and again. What a conundrum, I'm searching for a well rounded tire for replacement...

Try Michelin PS2.

The Goodyear "Supercar" tires we have are W rated junk using 15 year old tire technology. Get something Y rated.

I thought that the letter rating was just a speed rating. Is there anyway to tell the friction rating. We need nice soft tires. I'm sure the factory based their decision on gas mileage and tread life more than traction.

Try Michelin PS2.

The Goodyear "Supercar" tires we have are W rated junk using 15 year old tire technology. Get something Y rated.

My experience with the F1 Supercar tires, on and off the track, are not the same as yours. The "W" and "Y" ratings are speed ratings (168 and 186 respectively) and not specific indicators of traction. The Michlins you suggest are great tires but I have purposely used the F1 Supercar tires as, for me, the ideal track/street tire. They have held up well and delivered excellent performance on tight tracks like Streets of Willow and the inner road course at Las Vegas, as well as some of the less tight road courses. But whatever else is true about them, Goodyear cautions that the F1's are not for colder weather use.

BDrool, I don't know where you are geographically but you accurately describe the problem of cooler, denser air delivering more power right when your traction diminishes due to the temperature of the road surface. I do not know of a tire that will deliver summer type traction on a cooler road surface.

Jim

Shelby H/E to keep the Power you have, even in July.Will keep your car from Pulling Timing,then worry about Tires,Suspension,More Power,etc.......

PART NUMBER AND COST OF THE H/E PLEASE. HOW LONG TO INSTALL IS REASONABLE ??

The heat exchanger will cost you around $750 give or take. Around 4-6 hours to install depending on how mechanically inclined you are. I have one my car, looks sweet also. Has two fans on it, a must for a mod. Go to revanracing.com and talk to Van, he will hook you up.

Edit: Revan Racing H/E, Shelby H/E, and C&R H/E are all the same thing, people just use different names for it sometimes depending for whatever reason.

I have had the same experience. The car feels faster now in Nov., presumably due to the colder intake charge. The stinger axle backs and JLT intake make it sound better too.

However, it spins the tires like crazy....even in 3rd gear. I was going to upgrade the power, but it may not be worth it without suspension mods and new tires.

On the other hand, spinning the tires at 60 mph is kinda fun...

kb

Clark17357, I'm in Utah, so yeah, thin air with the temp variences.... Can't imagine the fun the people near sea level are having with their GT500's.

1sweet....Any idea on how many degrees difference this H/E will make? And how about coolant conditioner, does it really work?

The tires, IMO, suck for daily driving. I'm not racing, going to tracks or anything like that. While I think the F1's are good track tires, I also believe it is wasted $$ for everyday driving. I'm still up in the air on this and doing research to find the best daily driver tire.

BTW, I saw some "Black Chrome" Dale Jr. rims at the local tire shop. My GT500 is black on black, what do y'all think about B/C with this color if I decide to go wider tires?

if you want some amazing grip tires try the nitto nt555r or nitto nt05 tires. i have them on my lightning and they grip like no other tire. i also have the bfg kdw tires on my gt and those grip very well too but not as good as the nittos. you would be amazed at how well the nt05's grip. but im not sure how long they will last on the street as they are a street/road race tire. ive had them on my lightning for about 4 months now and 10,000 miles and show no real wear.

Clark17357, I'm in Utah, so yeah, thin air with the temp variences.... Can't imagine the fun the people near sea level are having with their GT500's.

1sweet....Any idea on how many degrees difference this H/E will make? And how about coolant conditioner, does it really work?

The tires, IMO, suck for daily driving. I'm not racing, going to tracks or anything like that. While I think the F1's are good track tires, I also believe it is wasted $$ for everyday driving. I'm still up in the air on this and doing research to find the best daily driver tire.

BTW, I saw some "Black Chrome" Dale Jr. rims at the local tire shop. My GT500 is black on black, what do y'all think about B/C with this color if I decide to go wider tires?

The link below goes to a July C&D summer tire camparison where a Hankook Ventus V12 Evo tire came in second best at a very good price. They have sizes for 19" GT500

wheels. I may try a set when my F1 tires wear out.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/compar...v12_evo_page_10

The link below goes to a July C&D summer tire camparison where a Hankook Ventus V12 Evo tire came in second best at a very good price. They have sizes for 19" GT500

wheels. I may try a set when my F1 tires wear out.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/compar...v12_evo_page_10

I'm going to give the Hankook's a spin when my Superslows are toast.

Archived