TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Visited One Of The C4C GraveYards Last Weekend

shelbymotorsports

Went to one of the larger SoCal self serve junkyards this past weekend to see firsthand what others were telling me.

Acres and acres of Cash 4 Clunkers stacked everywhere. Had to be over 1,000 of them. Majority of vehicles were suvs & trucks.

By far the most common vehicle was the Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV. The majority of these vehicles I would say were in good decent running condition when traded in. There had to be at least a few dozen vehicles that made you wonder why they couldn't fetch more than the max $4500 as they were in great shape.

Although the dealers killed the engines with that Kervorkian infusion all C4C vehicles had their engine spray painted orange with several posted signs saying they would not sell the engines.

On a related note the junkyards are trying to get congress to give them an extra six months to get rid of the C4C vehicles. They claim they can't process them all in the 6 month period congress allotted them so they are asking for another 6 month extension.

Steve

Went to one of the larger SoCal self serve junkyards this past weekend to see firsthand what others were telling me.

Acres and acres of Cash 4 Clunkers stacked everywhere. Had to be over 1,000 of them. Majority of vehicles were suvs & trucks.

By far the most common vehicle was the Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV. The majority of these vehicles I would say were in good decent running condition when traded in. There had to be at least a few dozen vehicles that made you wonder why they couldn't fetch more than the max $4500 as they were in great shape.

Although the dealers killed the engines with that Kervorkian infusion all C4C vehicles had their engine spray painted orange with several posted signs saying they would not sell the engines.

On a related note the junkyards are trying to get congress to give them an extra six months to get rid of the C4C vehicles. They claim they can't process them all in the 6 month period congress allotted them so they are asking for another 6 month extension.

Steve

:headscratch: I also just went to large junk yard and could hardly walk around due to the number of "cash for clunkers" vehicles. Many of the cars and trucks were in excellent shape, except of course the killed engine. What a travesty and waste of resources. At least the parts are being re-cycled and Congress should most definitely give the junkyards additional time to sell the parts. I watched as several otherwise good vehicles were just crushed. If you have an older SUV or pickup now is the time to upgrade and improve it with the tremendous amount of good used parts available.

The entire C4C program was a travesty and a waste. Even more sickening, we all got to pay for it.

Absolutely; w/out any doubt.

Was reading the current issue of Road & Track magazine this weekend and appear to have the answer to the Grand Cherokee question from my original post.

One of the editors wrote that his wife had a Jeep Grand Cherokee that they wanted to get rid of last year. They placed an ad in their paper for $2500 and received no phone calls so they drove it another winter. Come spring they placed another ad but this time for $1500 and received no phone calls.

They then went on to purchase a Subaru and were only offered $500 in trade (this was before the C4C program) so although they purchased the Subie they kept the Grand Cherokee.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if Jeep Grand Cherokee's are only worth $500 no wonder they C4C junkyard was full of them. Who wouldn't take $3,000 to $4,000 MORE than a cars worth from the government.

Steve

To read this drives me real sick... What a shame, the Grand Cherokee are great SUVs; I have one 5.2 Limited and one 5.9LX. I love these, real though, comfortable, fast, not too large, never any problem, and maintenance is damn easy. Drive them everyday to commute and with a light foot the gas mileage is manageable. They can drive in over 2 ft of snow as if they were on a dry road.

Here also they are worth nothing today, too many of them in the ad pages and owners just can't get rid of them at any price, very similar to what you describe. Just that engines are not destroyed (man, that is a real sick rule, what is the point? a SUV engine is not going to find its way into something else anyway).

I wonder how the new Jeep Grand Cherokee is selling today? The situation is not motivating for a prospective customers.

Archived