TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SHELBY GT VS. ROUSH (apples to apples)

wildcat

The Shelby GT vs. GT500 argument is interesting, but it's apples vs. oranges. The GT500 is a different animal. A more fair comparison is the Shelby GT vs. Roush Stage 2 .... OR Shelby GT with supercharger vs. Roush Stage 3.

Here's my observations ... the Shelby GT and Roush stage 2 will be similar in cost, similar in performance, and similar in "rarity". The same can be said for The Shelby GT w/SC vs. the Roush Stage 3, except the cost is higher in that comparison (again I would suspect similar performance).

The main differences I see between Shelby GT and Roush is that with the Roush you get a lot more "bling" (cosmetic upgrades -- both interior and exterior), and with Shelby you get the name Shelby all over it. For many, the Roush bling is a little excessive, so some might find it a plus and some might consider it a negative. I LOVE the Roush interior, but I think the exterior has too much extra plastic. The Shelby GT with Carrol's name and endorsement is huge, but the actual changes made to the car are, in my opinion, fairly minimal. If I could choose straight up between a Roush Stage 3 and a Shelby GT w/SC, I'd go with the Shelby GT, but only because the more subtle appearance suits me better. Otherwise I think they are very similar cars with equally excellent upgrades.

The main difference I notice right now is that since the Shelby GT is new, there are waiting lists and ADM's, where as there are Roush Stage 3's sitting on lots below sticker (because if people have $51K to spend on a Mustang, it's gonna be a GT500!!)

i hate the roush interior, love the exterior. I wish the Shelby GT was more like that Roush 427 R wich is a cosmetically stripped down stage 3 for less. I think I was offered 43k price for a 427.

Its a better comparision to compare the Stage 1, Saleen non-SC, and the Shelby GT because they are all about the same price. Stage 2 costs more, and really only has cosmetic changes over the stage 1.

But the difference is, you can buy a stage 1-3 every yr just as you can buy a saleen for each yr. The Shelby GT so far is only 1 yr.

The Shelby GT vs. GT500 argument is interesting, but it's apples vs. oranges. The GT500 is a different animal. A more fair comparison is the Shelby GT vs. Roush Stage 2 .... OR Shelby GT with supercharger vs. Roush Stage 3.

Here's my observations ... the Shelby GT and Roush stage 2 will be similar in cost, similar in performance, and similar in "rarity". The same can be said for The Shelby GT w/SC vs. the Roush Stage 3, except the cost is higher in that comparison (again I would suspect similar performance).

The main differences I see between Shelby GT and Roush is that with the Roush you get a lot more "bling" (cosmetic upgrades -- both interior and exterior), and with Shelby you get the name Shelby all over it. For many, the Roush bling is a little excessive, so some might find it a plus and some might consider it a negative. I LOVE the Roush interior, but I think the exterior has too much extra plastic. The Shelby GT with Carrol's name and endorsement is huge, but the actual changes made to the car are, in my opinion, fairly minimal. If I could choose straight up between a Roush Stage 3 and a Shelby GT w/SC, I'd go with the Shelby GT, but only because the more subtle appearance suits me better. Otherwise I think they are very similar cars with equally excellent upgrades.

The main difference I notice right now is that since the Shelby GT is new, there are waiting lists and ADM's, where as there are Roush Stage 3's sitting on lots below sticker (because if people have $51K to spend on a Mustang, it's gonna be a GT500!!)

Comparing a Roush with a Shelby is not even close to being in the same Fruit Basket.

Do you all think that guys (and gals) with Ferrari's and Lamborghini's sit around and compare their cars with others? My GT500 is the baddest car I will probably ever own. Why try to compare to something else? The other cars have their merits and someone will enjoy them too. I love my car, but why compare it to something I don't want? :hyper:

Sorry Mike,

I guess I am not up on all the new slang.

I learn something everyday here.

Today I learned that "sic" is good, and teh is the.

:baby:

Dont forget anyhoo [any how] or dano [dont know]. :hysterical:

Personally, I think the Roush exterior is a bit over the top, kinda "boy racer" with all the stick-ons (but I'm an old fart), and the interiors I looked at seemed to be put together in a bit of a sloppy manner (i.e. poor upholstery fit). What's with putting quarter panel window louvers on, as to reverse the Shelby look from '66?

Also, I think the Shelby name has way more street cred "dog"! Yo, yo, yo hommies.

As we are comparing all kinds of fruit here, I did go down to the (glup) chevy dealer to test drive a couple of new vettes - IF THIS SICKENS YOU JUST SKIP THIS POST, I'LL UNDERSTAND, for others read on...

Got in a 4mi, 6spd, Z51 coupe with the 3LT package. If you don't know what this means, it (Z51) is the sport package with cross drilled brake rotors, stickier tires, tranny cooler, oil cooler, lower rear gear, stiffer springs and shocks. The 3LT is kind of a luxo package with headed seats, power side bolsters, power lumbar, H.U.D. heads up display, trick Bose stereo, etc, etc.

List price was about 55K, but again, instantly they're (and by the way it's not their, or there - where are you Rufdraft when we need you!) down to 47K. This would be in the same $ arena as a killer deal on a (current market) GT500 and 10K ADM over on a

S GT right? So it could be a viable choice for a sports/muscle car buyer. Trust me, I have never owned a chevy anything, and have owned 4 Fords, but I'm getting a little tired of waiting.

Had the S GT been what I considered to be a better value, I would certainly think about it, but with a MSRP of 37K (correct?) and the obligitory ADM, who knows? [/u] I'd want to do the brake upgrade which requires a wheel upgrade, and would want the "H" hood, and an S/C, so I'd be into a S GT for a bunch'o $! +10K estimated for these options. It would be an awesome car at that point! But that's 47K w/o any ADM.

So, for 47K right now, the vette, ordered exactly to my spec, and delivered in a few weeks, is worth considering. The thing only weighs 3100+ lbs! and has a highway MPG listing of 28MPG! It will be my daily driver, not for going to the track or club events (Pantera for that).

I drove a Hertz GTH, and really liked it, however, it was sorely lacking in the braking department, and the auto tranny really sucked. What did I like? Well, it has the perfect stance - lowered and all - it just sits right! Looks great! It handled very well with somewhat of a rough ride, and was reasonably quick with terrible (about 13mpg) mileage. Hey, how about a thread (only) about what the MPG is on the GT500's now that people have had them awhile?

Others who have actually driven one (GTH), what did you think?

First impressions on some recent test drives were that the dealers are pretty insane in that they never asked for any I.D. or license, or for that matter anything. Put me in a brand new - not even a demo - car and let me have at it.

The Vette is very quick, I couldn't thrash it too much, but I'd say it's as fast as my 72 Pantera w/an Alum head, tweeked, 530HP (crank) engine. Brakes didn't seem to impress, but with only 4 miles on the car...

H.U.D. was very cool (to my suprize) and really let's one keep their (not there or they're) eyes on the road.

Car did seem to be of reasonable quality - not like a euro car, but not bad. Handles well. Also tried a 6 spd auto w/paddle shift - don't bother - the paddle shift seems like a gimmick, not crisp at all. It was better in full auto mode.

I would recommend that anybody with a little time on their hands cruise on down to their local dealer and let them throw you into a car for a spin without ever checking a license, credit, or criminal records!

Whoooeee! Did it with a BMW twin Turbo coupe too. Fun, well put together car, but not enough muscle.

Lastly, let's throw in the "Foose Edition" Mustangs for discussion. I hear they're pretty pricey...

Well?

H.U.D. was very cool (to my suprize) and really let's one keep their (not there or they're) eyes on the road.

Actually, it's "his/her eyes on the road" (not their), since it is referencing a singular noun ("one"). :finger:

And while we're at it, it's "surprise", not "suprize".

RufDraft save us, this is now a Grammer thread!!

Unfortunately the Vette will beat a Stang $ for $ in pretty much all performance categories, but remember it doesn't have a back seat (which matters for those of us with kids), and most importantly, the Vette is a finnesse car, not a MUSCLE car! The Stang is much more MACHO!!! (Insert Grunt here!)

Actually, it's "his/her eyes on the road" (not their), since it is referencing a singular noun ("one"). :finger:

And while we're at it, it's "surprise", not "suprize".

RufDraft save us, this is now a Grammer thread!!

Unfortunately the Vette will beat a Stang $ for $ in pretty much all performance categories, but remember it doesn't have a back seat (which matters for those of us with kids), and most importantly, the Vette is a finnesse car, not a MUSCLE car! The Stang is much more MACHO!!! (Insert Grunt here!)

Finnesse

Fitness

Finally

Finesse :idea:

????

"They're" is a contraction for "they are." Correct usage!!

If I had a $45k budget - I'd test drive the Vette (sorry SCGT)!

Its performance capabilities aren't arguable. :shift:

:finger: Looks like a girly car!! Not muscular like the 50's and 60's Vette!

Do you all think that guys (and gals) with Ferrari's and Lamborghini's sit around and compare their cars with others? My GT500 is the baddest car I will probably ever own. Why try to compare to something else? The other cars have their merits and someone will enjoy them too. I love my car, but why compare it to something I don't want? :hyper:

Since we are apples to oranges, let's through John Force's Mustang into the mix. I know it's a little quicker than my Shelby, but it doesn't corner worth a crap. :shift:

"RufDraft save us, this is now a Grammer thread!!"

Actually, it's grammar.

Agree on the back seat thing (but only have 1 kid, and she has 1 year to go until she gets her own - that's my excuse for getting mine!) and pretty much everything else you said. They are different, and would rather have a Shelby, but the lack of reasonable availability (therefore extra high prices) has really given me a crappy attitude! I really was interested in a S GT because I'm a big believer in the lighter weight (always preferred a 65/66 GT350 versus the later 67-70 big blocks). It just seems that with ADM's and about 47K to deck it out at my specs (b4 ADM's), it'll cost a fortune. It's almost a good thing (except for my ego, and lack of gold chains and chest hair) that the vette is a mass produced car since it'll be my daily driver. Great parts availabliity, cheaper tires (?), after market goodies everywhere, standard service with any dealer or mech, and again the mileage might be about 19mpg overall.

I DEFINITELY HAVE NOT MADE UP MY MIND YET THOUGH! It's just fun shopping!

Oh, and spell check has ruined me forever on the spelling thing! :doh:

"RufDraft save us, this is now a Grammer thread!!"

Actually, it's grammar.

Agree on the back seat thing (but only have 1 kid, and she has 1 year to go until she gets her own - that's my excuse for getting mine!) and pretty much everything else you said. They are different, and would rather have a Shelby, but the lack of reasonable availability (therefore extra high prices) has really given me a crappy attitude! I really was interested in a S GT because I'm a big believer in the lighter weight (always preferred a 65/66 GT350 versus the later 67-70 big blocks). It just seems that with ADM's and about 47K to deck it out at my specs (b4 ADM's), it'll cost a fortune. It's almost a good thing (except for my ego, and lack of gold chains and chest hair) that the vette is a mass produced car since it'll be my daily driver. Great parts availabliity, cheaper tires (?), after market goodies everywhere, standard service with any dealer or mech, and again the mileage might be about 19mpg overall.

I DEFINITELY HAVE NOT MADE UP MY MIND YET THOUGH! It's just fun shopping!

Oh, and spell check has ruined me forever on the spelling thing! :doh:

Luke beware of the DARK side.......the force is strong!!.....remember GM sucks!

SCGT: "Looks like a girly car!! Not muscular like the 50's and 60's Vette!

Taste is so very subjective - don't you agree?

I think the Vette is squat and low and ready! (and - Big point here - Available!!)

Sly Stone (Sylvester Stewart): Different Strokes for Different Folks! :happy feet:

Here's another quote from a Sly song (one of my favorites): "Don't hate the black/don't hate the white/if you get bitten/just hate the bite!"

Yo - we be jammin over here, mahn. :happy feet:

For me, it would be the Shelby, hands down. Don't need all the flash of the Roush. I've had 10 Mustangs- a couple of Shelbys in the mix- and I have always loved the Shelbys. I just couldn't see myself driving anything else for a Mustang these days. Plus, I believe these would hold their value better (a no-brainer there).

As far as the vette is concerned...well, that is one hell of a car, and I couldn't/wouldn't blame anyone for wanting one--great performance value. It just does not strike a chord with me like the Mustang does. Plus, I can hide behind the "no back seat" reason as I have 2 boys. Plus, I have had over 30 Fords, and only one Plymouth ('Cuda with a 3/4 race cam, a winter car for my '67 GT350) and one GM (Trans-Am, a winter car for my '69 GT 500 'vert). :idea: Does this mean that I am subconsciously trying to rust the competition every time I get a Shelby??? I gotta see a doctor about this! :hysterical:

Archived