TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GOOD NEWS! I bought a Black KR

The Good News I finally bought a 2008 Black KR at the right price. The bad new is I have to go pick it up. I found a trailer to rent for $75 a day enclosed (thought that to be fair) but I've never hauled a car before. My biggest concern would be what are the correct points to tie the car down. Any advice about where to tie down the car and any other tips would be appreciated.

I've rented a 20 foot enclosed trailer and the trip is around 1200 miles round trip.

Thanks for you help, SVT

2006 GT-H #417

2008 Vapor GT500

2008 Black KR

THRICE BITTEN!

Did you buy the one in Baton Rouge? Congrats! Hope you make it to one of our Texas get togethers with one of your cars!!!

No I bought this car in Alabama. I've seen the car in Baton Rouge and tried to buy several in Florida but was not able to strike a deal. I travel to San Antonio once or twice a year but don't know that I'd drive any of the Shelbys that far. They're mainly weekend toys.

SVT

Here's some advice

Do yourself a favor and remove the carbon fiber front splitter. You may have trouble loading the car in the trailer with the front splitter attached.

Use at least 4 ratchet straps to tie the car down. Obviously set the car in gear with the e-brake on. I used 4 web slings with the eyelets in them like these I draped the web slings over the rear axle and secured them to the trailer with the ratchet strap. I did the same for the front but, I went around the K frame with the web slings and cinched them down with the rathet straps. Once the car is tied down, recheck all the straps after about 15 minutes of driving. Recheck the straps at every major stop (food, lodging, fuel refill.)

Also, if your truck has electric brake capabilities, hook up the electric brake adapter and go on the road with that.

Good luck getting the car.

Congrats Stephen,

Awesome collection, even better because I rented your GT-H in Miami :shift:

Tom

Thanks Tom, I do remember you rented my GT-H in Miami. I still have the pictures you sent me. It is still very much appreciated and will be a part of the cars history long after I'm gone.

SVT

Here's some advice

Do yourself a favor and remove the carbon fiber front splitter. You may have trouble loading the car in the trailer with the front splitter attached.

Use at least 4 ratchet straps to tie the car down. Obviously set the car in gear with the e-brake on. I used 4 web slings with the eyelets in them like these I draped the web slings over the rear axle and secured them to the trailer with the ratchet strap. I did the same for the front but, I went around the K frame with the web slings and cinched them down with the rathet straps. Once the car is tied down, recheck all the straps after about 15 minutes of driving. Recheck the straps at every major stop (food, lodging, fuel refill.)

Also, if your truck has electric brake capabilities, hook up the electric brake adapter and go on the road with that.

Good luck getting the car.

Thanks for the Advice! I have been debating on what to do with the splitter. My worry was depending on where you strap it on the frame the straps could stretch and rise up and possibly break the front splitter. Its probably best just to pull it off.

Thanks again,

SVT

You should stay at home and pay me $75 dollar/day, and I'll drive it up there to you. I'll even fly out there to do it at my cost. Let me know. :hysterical:

:shift:

You're hired! As long as you can drive it here without putting miles on the car. Maybe you can drive it in reverse 1/2 the way lol

SVT

You're hired! As long as you can drive it here without putting miles on the car. Maybe you can drive it in reverse 1/2 the way lol

SVT

If that's what you need me to do. :hysterical: I bet I'd get more thumbs up that way. You've got to take pics as soon as you can. That's a sweet little trio you've got yourself there.

The Good News I finally bought a 2008 Black KR at the right price. The bad new is I have to go pick it up. I found a trailer to rent for $75 a day enclosed (thought that to be fair) but I've never hauled a car before. My biggest concern would be what are the correct points to tie the car down. Any advice about where to tie down the car and any other tips would be appreciated.

I've rented a 20 foot enclosed trailer and the trip is around 1200 miles round trip.

Thanks for you help, SVT

2006 GT-H #417

2008 Vapor GT500

2008 Black KR

THRICE BITTEN!

I have used FedEx Critical Shipping and Horseless Carriage, both did a great job. FedEx was supper easy to deal with. The trucks they use are designed for low clearance cars. I would think twice about learning to haul a car using my KR, not that you couldn't do a good job but why take a chance?

After loading the car and before strapping, I would lower the tire pressure to say 18-20 psi.

Make sure some straps pull the car to the back and some to the front, that way, the car can't move on you.

FOR SURE REMOVE THE FRONT SPLITTER.

Bring a lock for the trailler door and a lock to secure the trailler to your truck.

Bring your guard dog for the trip.

Inspect and test drive car BEFORE buying it and make sure you get all the documentatiion including the Shelby certificate.

Another thing, make a list of all teh stuff that you are supposed to get with the car:

2 keys and remotes

Ford Window sticker

Shelby window sticker

2 Shelby front mats (none for the rear)

Owner Manual

GT500KR Owner manual supplement

Postcard to buy a watch

Postcard to buy a framed picture signed by Mr. Shelby

A box in the trunck containing the brake ducts

FRPP/Shelby certificate signed by Mr Shhelby and Mr Ford

I think that's it.

Great advise from the guys. As for towing, take it nice and slow and watch the down hill speeds. I've towed my Shelby's over 7k miles so far, never going above 65 mph. Makes for a long drive but worth being safe.

Congrats on the KR.

I would think twice about pulling it with that truck;just pulled my 500 from Tulsa to LA

with my diesel Excursion and was real happy to off load that heavy SOB.

Hire a professional hauler with insurance.

Learn to tow a trailer on shorter trips.

Just my opinion.

Doc

or....DRIVE that sucker home;You'll have a trip to remember

I haul my 40th everywhere with a haulmark, You shouldnt need to remove the splitter... Just make sure that you have some blocks to put under the tounge just incase your truck squats...try to find a spot where the rear tires on the trailer sink, lowering the rear of the trailer...also you will need some 2x10's for the drivers side...the door will not clear the wheel well without them and if you are of any size, you yourself may not clear the door unless the trailer has a door over the wheel well...the small D ring type straps arnt a bad idea, how ever you can use 2 15' straps and be ok....make sure you bring some extra soft rags to put between the straps and the rims if you are useing them as anchor point.... be sure to release the ebrake and have it in nutural when cranking it down tight then use just the e brake when you have finished.... if you have any questions on the 2 strap tie down method feel free to contact me and i will help ya out, Ken

Thanks SVT, I love it too! Are you leaning toward hiring an enclosed transport? The reason I ask is, I have an enclosed trailer, but Alabama is a long trip and I have hired one several times because once you add in gas, hotel stops, worrying about something happening to it and everything else, it is sometimes just a better deal to hire it out. Hopefully you got a great deal on the car. Let me know if you are ever in this part of town or if you need any help.

I haul my 40th everywhere with a haulmark, You shouldnt need to remove the splitter... Just make sure that you have some blocks to put under the tounge just incase your truck squats...try to find a spot where the rear tires on the trailer sink, lowering the rear of the trailer...also you will need some 2x10's for the drivers side...the door will not clear the wheel well without them and if you are of any size, you yourself may not clear the door unless the trailer has a door over the wheel well...the small D ring type straps arnt a bad idea, how ever you can use 2 15' straps and be ok....make sure you bring some extra soft rags to put between the straps and the rims if you are useing them as anchor point.... be sure to release the ebrake and have it in nutural when cranking it down tight then use just the e brake when you have finished.... if you have any questions on the 2 strap tie down method feel free to contact me and i will help ya out, Ken

Ken, I'm not sure if I understood the part about the 2x10's on the driver side. Are you saying I'll need to drive the car on top of the 2x10. The trailer is 8 feed wide but I lose about a foot

do to the wheel wells in the trailer. Also, It is best not to leave the car in gear; just use the e brake?

Thanks for your help,

SVT

Thanks SVT, I love it too! Are you leaning toward hiring an enclosed transport? The reason I ask is, I have an enclosed trailer, but Alabama is a long trip and I have hired one several times because once you add in gas, hotel stops, worrying about something happening to it and everything else, it is sometimes just a better deal to hire it out. Hopefully you got a great deal on the car. Let me know if you are ever in this part of town or if you need any help.

txcobra, I've bought 2 other cars and had them shipped but I really wanted to see the car before I spent the cash. It just made sense to me to go look at the car and just take it back with me. I'm not sure I can buy the car sight unseen and have them ship it. I've looked at several KRs in the Houston area and many of them were not well kept. Had the distance been any longer than 600 miles I would not attempt the trip. I'm not hauling the car back to try to save money just trying to get it all done in one trip.

SVT

I'm located in Baytown, TX about 30 miles east of Houston. I pass through Georgetown at least once a year on business. Its a really nice part of Texas. I hope to move up in the Austin area when I retire.

SVT

Off topic: Will you be bringing this bad boy to the NMRA race at Houston Raceway Park Nov. 13-15th? Great pick up, really like your stable. I am in Kemah, plan on going to NMRA race as long as weather is good!! :happy feet:

Well I rented the trailer and I'm on my way. Drove about 600 miles today and the trailer pulled well at 70 MPH. I'll meet with the dealer tomorrow to pick up the car in Alabama. I can't wait to get her loaded and get her home. I'm sure the haul home will be slower with the weight of the car. Wish me luck all goes well tomorrow.

SVT

Archived