TEAM SHELBY FORUM

who has 410 gears in their car

1badsho

I have had the 4.10 gears since Friday and LOVE the way the car drives now. MUCH easier to start from a red light and much smoother in manuvering in a parking garage. First gear is not useless, in fact wheel spin is easier to control now. true it is short but man does it launch. My wheel hop is still a problem but not near as bad.

Cruise RPMs are great with the double overdrive trans. You will not be dissapointed with these gears. Mine run silent and unlike in my 98, the stock driveshaft did not pick up a new harmonic vibration.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this the article you are speaking of or are they planning another one next month?

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech...test/index.html

No gear swap in this article but an impressive 11.785/117.31 1/4 mi.

No, that's the first installment of the GT500 mods. This coming month's MM&FF magazine will add more goodies to the car...

"In Part 2 we plan to take the car further-namely into the 10s...we hope to return with new gears, more boost, and a cold-air inlet."

I have had the 4.10 gears since Friday and LOVE the way the car drives now. MUCH easier to start from a red light and much smoother in manuvering in a parking garage. First gear is not useless, in fact wheel spin is easier to control now. true it is short but man does it launch. My wheel hop is still a problem but not near as bad.

Cruise RPMs are great with the double overdrive trans. You will not be dissapointed with these gears. Mine run silent and unlike in my 98, the stock driveshaft did not pick up a new harmonic vibration.

THAT'S the kind of info I've been looking for on this topic. Thank-you so much for your post, jcthorne. :drool:

THAT'S the kind of info I've been looking for on this topic. Thank-you so much for your post, jcthorne. :drool:

Alright I'm sold on the 4.10's. Now I just need to find a place in San Diego who has gear installation skills (said in the Napoleon Dynamite voice) . :stats:

What kind of gears did you install? Where did you get them? Thats what I'm going with...

Thanks to all! My question has been answered. 1st gear clutch shudder will be history (stoplight to stoplight rush hour) also like the parking garage comment . Wildhorses

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jan 9 2007, 07:41 AM) 86870[/snapback]

No, that's the first installment of the GT500 mods. This coming month's MM&FF magazine will add more goodies to the car...

"In Part 2 we plan to take the car further-namely into the 10s...we hope to return with new gears, more boost, and a cold-air inlet."

Nice I'm looking forward to it and I am also planning to install FRPP 4.10's for my car soon.

What kind of gears did you install? Where did you get them? Thats what I'm going with...

I bought a genuine Ford manufatured gear set, part number 410A from Summit racing. Included new pinion nut, crush washer and pinion shim pack for $220 delivered. Installed by my long time and trusted independent mechanic that has done dozens of ring and pinion jobs in various makes. Needed a pinion bearing, 2 qts Motorcraft syn gear lube and one new side shim as well on install to get the gear pattern more 'perfect'

• 2 months later...

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Dec 27 2006, 10:39 AM) 80162[/snapback]
OK, I've done a lot of gear swaps. I'm a gear swap junky, I guess. Here's a few thoughts.

Top Speed. Yes, you can actually improve real-life top speed when going with more gear. For example, I bought a 1989 5.0L Mustang brand new. 5-speed manual and 2.73 gears. I took it out on a long lonely stretch of black top that was dozens of miles long. Top speed was 135 mph. Overdrive just wasn't strong enough to accelerate at that speed, so 4th gear was best (car only rated at 225hp so aerodynamics really came into play). In a vacuum that car would have gone much faster, but we don't live in a vacuum.

Had 3.73 gears installed. Much better acceleration, but I was curious how top speed would be affected. Went back to the same long stretch of highway. Car topped out much quicker (better torque multiplication in all gears, including overdrive) and I was able to top 145 mph. Gained 10 mph top speed, while also improving acceleration. Theoretical top speed still hadn't been reached (still not at redline), but wind resistance was still too much for the little 225hp motor to overcome.

I went from 3.55's to 4.30's in my 2003 Mach 1, and recently went from 3.31's to 4.10's in my 2007 Mustang GT. The Mach 1 was already geared very well from the factory, so drag racing improvement was negligible, but around town driveability was improved. The 07 is a much different story. The 3.31's just weren't enough gear for the weight of the S197! With the 4.10's the car launches so much harder! Around town, the car is so much more entertaining! Best spent money so far on my car.

Traction. OK, here's the deal. More gear will, indeed, induce wheelspin easier due to the increased torque multiplication. However, more gear will recover from the wheelspin sooner, so you will hook up and get traction shortly after wheelspin begins. Less gear will be harder to get spinning, but once it starts to spin the car will spin longer. I believe the law of physics at play here is inertia? As GT500's will spin regardless of gears with their abundant supercharged torque curves and inadequate factory rubber, then moving from 3.31's to 3.73's or 4.10's will actually get wheelspin under control quicker. I have another real-life example to share. I had a 1968 Pontiac GTO for 9 years. Had several different gear ratios over those years (2.56, 3.55, and 3.90). This car was balanced, blueprinted, and 6.5 liters of big block V8 making 425 hp and about 550 lb ft of torque at the crank. Street/strip prepped Turbo 400 transmission and Saf-T-Trac "posi" rear end. The best gears at the drags were 3.90's. Car would spin the slicks about 50 feet (at 10 psi), hook up and go. 3.55's was dicier with hooking up. 2.56's were very dangerous. The car took a little more pedal to get the tires spinning, but once spinning, I could spin them forever. A buddy of mine brought a camcorder to the track and dared me to spin the entire length of the 1/4 mile. I was able to spin them 3/4 of the way down the track (about 3 city blocks!) before the car finally hooked up. Great film footage, but terrible acceleration.

A+, good explanation. Thanks Five Oh B

I looked at this link for the first time and you all scared me a Bit.

It is simple physics. Yes your traction will decrease due to the fact you are applying More HP to the Rear wheels. THIS IS WHAT YOU WAT TO GO FAST!

Do you want to have LESS HP at the Rear Wheels??? Anybody???? Mechanical Advantage?? ANYBODY??

All you have to do to compensate is LEARN how to Drive and Get BIGGER and BETTER Rear Tires! This will apply the added HP to the Ground completing the equation!

post-8247-1174275831_thumb.jpg

post-8247-1174275831_thumb.jpg

I looked at this link for the first time and you all scared me a Bit.

It is simple physics. Yes your traction will decrease due to the fact you are applying More HP to the Rear wheels. THIS IS WHAT YOU WAT TO GO FAST!

Do you want to have LESS HP at the Rear Wheels??? Anybody???? Mechanical Advantage?? ANYBODY??

All you have to do to compensate is LEARN how to Drive and Get BIGGER and BETTER Rear Tires! This will apply the added HP to the Ground completing the equation!

Actually you're not applying any more HP to the rear wheels, just increasing the torque multiplication. There are trade-offs involved, and each person must determine their optimal solution. Fuel economy, avoiding the drone RPM, drag racers that don't want to get caught "just above" a gear, and some other factors as well.

Let us know how your gears work out and which ratio you decide on. I think most people have gone 3.73 to this point.

Dave

Archived