TEAM SHELBY FORUM

who has 410 gears in their car

1badsho

Five Oh is right. You can have more top speed with a gear swap. Most of the cars reach their topspeed in 4th whichever is the 1:1 gear. Overdrive will kill the topspeed. Try it. When I did 160 in my Cobra with stock gears I reached that in 4. When shifting to 5th the car lost speed and never got back again. Now with the 4.10 my overdrive is about 20% better then the 3.27. I mean it became a useful gear.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do all the gears change when you swap them or would it be possible to get say 3.73 for 1-5th and keep your 6th stock for the highway cruise control. I like my 80MPH at 2K RPMs because the ride is so smooth and quiet even in the vert.

Same here iceman, I also like that 80MPH cruise. Acording to my calculations, at that speed in 6th gear with 3.73's your rpm's would be around 2300. It will be a little harder on fuel but definitley not over reving by any means. I'm looking at that gear change myself. The people that I've spoken to that went with 3.73's say it made 5th and 6th more useable.

Five Oh is right. You can have more top speed with a gear swap. Most of the cars reach their topspeed in 4th whichever is the 1:1 gear. Overdrive will kill the topspeed. Try it. When I did 160 in my Cobra with stock gears I reached that in 4. When shifting to 5th the car lost speed and never got back again. Now with the 4.10 my overdrive is about 20% better then the 3.27. I mean it became a useful gear.

Well this goes against what I've said...and I'm admittedly stumped as to how this makes sense. If others have real world experience saying otherwise...it's hard to debate that (especially when it's Five Oh....I rarely can find anything I disagree with him on). I may have to eat crow on this one.

Changing rear gears in my '69 Camaro from a 3.07 to a 4.11 did the opposite (I have a 5 speed in that car with an overdrive gear). I'll need to think about this more to make sense of it, why it does different things on different cars, and perhaps do some "real world" testing at some point...although that will be difficult to do safely on the GT500....I don't think I ever want to go over 150 MPH....at least not on the street..maybe on a banked track.

Dave

I bought a set of 410 gears and had planned to put them in yesterday but our service dept got to busy to do so.

My question is this : those who have the 410s installed ... how much did your rpms go up .. say in 5th or 6th gear ?

Also do u have any other mods such as a tune or CAI

thanks and merry christmas to all !

dond

HEY I HAVE A WEB SIGHT FOR REAREND REIDER RACING HAS A GEAR CALCULATOR ON HERE IT TELLS U TIRE SIZE AND RPMS WITH ALL GEAR SETS THIS WILL HELP www.reiderracing.com 734.946.1330

Do all the gears change when you swap them or would it be possible to get say 3.73 for 1-5th and keep your 6th stock for the highway cruise control. I like my 80MPH at 2K RPMs because the ride is so smooth and quiet even in the vert.

Yes, all effective gear ratios change from 1st through 6th, as they all channel through a single rear end gear ratio. Now, in big tractor trailer rigs, they have two speed differentials available to do what you're asking, but I've never seen a two speed differential for a standard car. If there is one, the additional weight or size of it is likely a deal killer.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Dec 28 2006, 01:08 PM) 80785[/snapback]

Yes, all effective gear ratios change from 1st through 6th, as they all channel through a single rear end gear ratio. Now, in big tractor trailer rigs, they have two speed differentials available to do what you're asking, but I've never seen a two speed differential for a standard car. If there is one, the additional weight or size of it is likely a deal killer.

Thanks - I'm still trying to figure out what i want to do here. Local tuner has a GT with 410's and he loves it - I am just not sure I need that with this engine. I have to factor in that a lot of the driving is not foot down all the way so I don't know exactly what i want to do. Maybe at one of the meets I'll find someone with them in and I can try it. I would really like to see the difference in the car before I decide if i want to do it as I'm not unhappy with the stock gears really....and I dobut i spend too much time on a track - maybe just for fune once in a whole so drivability is important....but I like the idea of a more usable 5th too. Much to ponder - thanks

Well this goes against what I've said...and I'm admittedly stumped as to how this makes sense. If others have real world experience saying otherwise...it's hard to debate that (especially when it's Five Oh....I rarely can find anything I disagree with him on). I may have to eat crow on this one.

Changing rear gears in my '69 Camaro from a 3.07 to a 4.11 did the opposite (I have a 5 speed in that car with an overdrive gear). I'll need to think about this more to make sense of it, why it does different things on different cars, and perhaps do some "real world" testing at some point...although that will be difficult to do safely on the GT500....I don't think I ever want to go over 150 MPH....at least not on the street..maybe on a banked track.

Dave

Dave, your '69 Camaro would have definitely lost top end because you can actually hit redline in top gear with 4.11's. If the engine was strong enough, you may even have been able to hit redline in top gear with the 3.07's. I'm guessing that your overdrive ratio is very minor - perhaps a .80 to .85? New Mustangs have much, much steeper overdrives (.62 to .71, depending on model), so top gear (5th or 6th) really takes a nose dive when shifting out of the 1:1 gear (typically 4th gear) making it harder to achieve theoretical top speed.

My '68 GTO (no overdrive - just a 1:1 ratio in Drive/3rd) could not hit redline with the 2.56 freeway gears, but I had it up to 160 mph once and it was still climbing when I ran out of freeway. If I remember correctly, doing the math, the theoretical top speed (in a vacuum) was over 200 mph with the 2.56 gears, but aerodynamics would conspire against that ever happening in real life. When I swapped to the 3.90 gears, my '68 GTO hit redline in top gear at a measly 106 mph, but that was enough at the 1/4 mile drags, so it was perfect at the drags while not so perfect on the street without an overdrive (4,000 rpm's at 70 mph - ouch!).

So, yes, in the old days, putting in more gears cost you top end speed, but today's modern drivetrains and steep overdrives have changed the story. You can now have your cake and eat it too (better acceleration and higher top end - most of the time).

Fuel economy still slips a bit, but modern overdrives mitigate the effect way more than on a non-overdrive car. For example, my '68 GTO went from 16 mpg (2.56 gears) to 6-9 mpg (3.90 gears). My 2003 Mach 1 and my 2007 Mustang GT both averaged 16 mpg (3.55/3.31 gears) and only dropped to about 15 mpg (4.30/4.10 gears).

Isn't technology wonderful?!?!

Thanks - I'm still trying to figure out what i want to do here. Local tuner has a GT with 410's and he loves it - I am just not sure I need that with this engine. I have to factor in that a lot of the driving is not foot down all the way so I don't know exactly what i want to do. Maybe at one of the meets I'll find someone with them in and I can try it. I would really like to see the difference in the car before I decide if i want to do it as I'm not unhappy with the stock gears really....and I dobut i spend too much time on a track - maybe just for fune once in a whole so drivability is important....but I like the idea of a more usable 5th too. Much to ponder - thanks

Driveability will be greatly enhanced in your GT500 if you change to the 4.10's. You will enjoy driving the car much more all the time - not just at the track, but also just toolin' around town. Gas mileage will be just barely affected, as I mentioned above. Compare that to a 1972 Chevy Nova I used to own that got about 4-5 mpg! It even had economy 2.56 gears in the rear end (but no overdrive). However, it was sporting a 427 cubic inch (7.0L) Chevy Big-Block (from a '66 L71 Corvette). Tunnel-rammed, huge cam, big-tube headers, and monster L88 square-port heads made for around 550hp and ungodly amounts of torque at the crank. You've got about the same performance on tap with your GT500, but with real creature comforts, handling, and far superior fuel economy - even with 4.10 gears. Go for the 4.10's - you will not regret the move.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Dec 28 2006, 01:29 PM) 80791[/snapback]

Dave, your '69 Camaro would have definitely lost top end because you can actually hit redline in top gear with 4.11's. If the engine was strong enough, you may even have been able to hit redline in top gear with the 3.07's. I'm guessing that your overdrive ratio is very minor - perhaps a .80 to .85? New Mustangs have much, much steeper overdrives (.62 to .71, depending on model), so top gear (5th or 6th) really takes a nose dive when shifting out of the 1:1 gear (typically 4th gear) making it harder to achieve theoretical top speed.

My '68 GTO (no overdrive - just a 1:1 ratio in Drive/3rd) could not hit redline with the 2.56 freeway gears, but I had it up to 160 mph once and it was still climbing when I ran out of freeway. If I remember correctly, doing the math, the theoretical top speed (in a vacuum) was over 200 mph with the 2.56 gears, but aerodynamics would conspire against that ever happening in real life. When I swapped to the 3.90 gears, my '68 GTO hit redline in top gear at a measly 106 mph, but that was enough at the 1/4 mile drags, so it was perfect at the drags while not so perfect on the street without an overdrive (4,000 rpm's at 70 mph - ouch!).

So, yes, in the old days, putting in more gears cost you top end speed, but today's modern drivetrains and steep overdrives have changed the story. You can now have your cake and eat it too (better acceleration and higher top end - most of the time).

Fuel economy still slips a bit, but modern overdrives mitigate the effect way more than on a non-overdrive car. For example, my '68 GTO went from 16 mpg (2.56 gears) to 6-9 mpg (3.90 gears). My 2003 Mach 1 and my 2007 Mustang GT both averaged 16 mpg (3.55/3.31 gears) and only dropped to about 15 mpg (4.30/4.10 gears).

Isn't technology wonderful?!?!

Driveability will be greatly enhanced in your GT500 if you change to the 4.10's. You will enjoy driving the car much more all the time - not just at the track, but also just toolin' around town. Gas mileage will be just barely affected, as I mentioned above. Compare that to a 1972 Chevy Nova I used to own that got about 4-5 mpg! It even had economy 2.56 gears in the rear end (but no overdrive). However, it was sporting a 427 cubic inch (7.0L) Chevy Big-Block (from a '66 L71 Corvette). Tunnel-rammed, huge cam, big-tube headers, and monster L88 square-port heads made for around 550hp and ungodly amounts of torque at the crank. You've got about the same performance on tap with your GT500, but with real creature comforts, handling, and far superior fuel economy - even with 4.10 gears. Go for the 4.10's - you will not regret the move.

This is what the local tuner has told me too. He's a big fan of the 4.10 gears. I asked about the 3.73's and he said he'd definately go with 4.10's over the 3.73's. I'f I make a change I want to notice it but I don't want to regret it either. If/when I change I think I'm leaning to the 4.10 based on what you and he have told me. I am sure at some point in the summer I'll end up doing it but I'm trying to hold off a little....but thanks for the insight as i have zero experience here.

Dave either! :hysterical:

yankee.wav

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Dec 28 2006, 01:08 PM) 80785[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

ice...use the spreadsheet below as a guide. Simulate the gear by driving on the highway, at the RPM indicated at 65 MPH..IGNORING WHAT THE SPEEDO SAYS. This is what it will "feel and sound" like at 65 MPH with a different gear. For example, if you're thinking of adding a 4.10 gear, then drive in 6th gear at 2057 RPM..and ignore what your speedo says. This is what it will "feel" like when you drive 65 MPH AFTER installing the 4.10 gear. Make sense?

Dave

post-3382-1167340294_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167340302_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167340310_thumb.jpg

yankee.wav

post-3382-1167340294_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167340302_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1167340310_thumb.jpg

yankee.wav

ice...use the spreadsheet below as a guide. Simulate the gear by driving on the highway, at the RPM indicated at 65 MPH..IGNORING WHAT THE SPEEDO SAYS. This is what it will "feel and sound" like at 65 MPH with a different gear.

Dave

"I CRINGED as I get ready to be verbally assualted and abused for my next statement .... I BLINKED ! :sos::finger:

410s where here ... ready to go in and thet tech couldnt get them. So here it is a few days later ... and i BLINKED

I have told parts dept ( who loves me ! ) that I now want the 373's

It wont increase my rpms a whole lot .. and going from 331 to 373s will be very noticable.

IM CHICKEN .. FINE .. SAY IT FORUM ! :ohsnap::hysterical2::doh::banghead:

One thing u need to know about me that u dont know already ... ( besides working for ford) ... I m anal about gas milage ... even with shelby !

That was only about 15% of tht total equation ... just lots of factors .. didnt want to replace tires every 2 mths ! ... etc .. etc ..etc ...

Ok ... I vented .. am ready for the flames !

dond

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Dec 28 2006, 01:29 PM) 80791[/snapback]

It's starting to make more sense Five Oh....basically you're saying it depends on the car as to the answer. Yes, my OD is .82 in the Tremec I have. Therefore, I stand corrected on this one...as it relates to the GT500. A rear gear is one of the mods I'm planning...although I'm not sure which ratio. I am leaning towards the 4.10 at this time.

Dave

For those of you still on the fence about which gears to go with (3.73's or 4.10's), or even to change from the 3.31's at all, I have a question for you....

Have you EVER heard anyone tell you that they regretted going with 4.10's in a late model overdrive-transmissioned car? I sure haven't. Everyone I've ever talked to who has gone with 4.10's has been very pleased.

Also, I have heard plenty of people who went with 3.73's wonder after-the-fact if they should have gone with 4.10's instead, but I've NEVER heard someone who went with 4.10's wonder if they should have only went with 3.73's.

Ask anyone you know who has done 4.10's and you'll get the same happy response. Best dang mod for the money.

I am planning a tune and CAI. I would also like to change gears, but not sure which one. It is so easy to get thru 1st and 2nd gear now, i'm hesitant to go with 4.10 and think that 3.73 would be a good compromise. I will be doing street driving mostly (giving friends and family FUN rides). So the question remains open for more discussion, 4.10's or 3.73's. More opinions please

"I CRINGED as I get ready to be verbally assualted and abused for my next statement .... I BLINKED ! :sos::finger:

410s where here ... ready to go in and thet tech couldnt get them. So here it is a few days later ... and i BLINKED

I have told parts dept ( who loves me ! ) that I now want the 373's

It wont increase my rpms a whole lot .. and going from 331 to 373s will be very noticable.

IM CHICKEN .. FINE .. SAY IT FORUM ! :ohsnap::hysterical2::doh::banghead:

One thing u need to know about me that u dont know already ... ( besides working for ford) ... I m anal about gas milage ... even with shelby !

That was only about 15% of tht total equation ... just lots of factors .. didnt want to replace tires every 2 mths ! ... etc .. etc ..etc ...

Ok ... I vented .. am ready for the flames !

dond

No flames coming from me. I'm still riding the fence too mainly because I don't know what to expect from the change...I guess I could always go back if I wanted but as was pointed out no one ever seems to want to. I'm a little concerned with gas mialage but understand with 6th gear on the highway there wouldn't be much change so that's really not a worry to me. It's more the how fast you get through the gears now and do I really need to get through them faster? I am not going to spend major time on the drag strip but I may play around once in a while. I may even get to a road track which is what I really want to do. I want to open it up a little more than I can on the street.

I'm really not worried about top end either because I find it highly unlikely I'll be pressing that anytime soon regardless of the gear choice.....especially with a tune removing the top end limiter :)

I've been told by 3 people that know what they are talking about that 4.10 is the way to go....but I guess I'm thick as I still have notbought 100% into it being best for me. This will be a mod I make after the others I expect but I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the difference from stock to 3.73 or what ever you end up with. I think if I had to make a choice today I would go with 4.10 because of the people that have suggested it. Last week I would have said 3.73 because it seemed like most were doing that and were happy. I'm content for now stock but I expect this is in my future...hopefully when the time comes I'll know for sure what I want to do.

Thanks to all who have knowledge and are sharing here.

No flames coming from me. I'm still riding the fence too mainly because I don't know what to expect from the change...I guess I could always go back if I wanted but as was pointed out no one ever seems to want to. I'm a little concerned with gas mialage but understand with 6th gear on the highway there wouldn't be much change so that's really not a worry to me. It's more the how fast you get through the gears now and do I really need to get through them faster? I am not going to spend major time on the drag strip but I may play around once in a while. I may even get to a road track which is what I really want to do. I want to open it up a little more than I can on the street.

I'm really not worried about top end either because I find it highly unlikely I'll be pressing that anytime soon regardless of the gear choice.....especially with a tune removing the top end limiter :)

I've been told by 3 people that know what they are talking about that 4.10 is the way to go....but I guess I'm thick as I still have notbought 100% into it being best for me. This will be a mod I make after the others I expect but I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the difference from stock to 3.73 or what ever you end up with. I think if I had to make a choice today I would go with 4.10 because of the people that have suggested it. Last week I would have said 3.73 because it seemed like most were doing that and were happy. I'm content for now stock but I expect this is in my future...hopefully when the time comes I'll know for sure what I want to do.

Thanks to all who have knowledge and are sharing here.

It seems that you and I are having the same dilema. I have 4.10's in my '70 Mach 1 and they work fine for that car. But the Shelby will be an all around driver, maybe 3.73's???

Worth noting for supercharged cars, such as the GT500, is that with the abundant and rich torque you already have at your disposal, steep gears (a torque multiplier, essentially) aren't nearly as necessary as it is for us with naturally aspirated cars. 3.73 gears are plenty in a GT500 (or other supercharged V8), and will offer much improved performance over the 3.31's.

You won't get any additional performance at a race track by choosing 4.10's over 3.73's in a GT500, or it'll be so infinitely minimal that it doesn't matter much, but the all around driveability of the car will be much nicer. Just putt-putting around town you'll really enjoy how the 4.10's make the car accelerate so easily at part throttle or full throttle, or even just how "right" the gear spacing between each shift seems. Gas mileage will not suffer much (about 1 mpg drop from 3.31 gears to 4.10's), unless you are so enamored by the 4.10's that you go around mashing the pedal to the floor a lot more with your new found acceleration underfoot.

Next month's issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Ford magazine will showcase more mods for GT500's, including gears. I believe they are planning on a set of 4.10's and they are taking the car to the dragstrip for a before and after comparison, so you'll definitely want to read that article. It should hit the newsstands in about 3 weeks.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Dec 29 2006, 11:16 AM) 81146[/snapback]

Worth noting for supercharged cars, such as the GT500, is that with the abundant and rich torque you already have at your disposal, steep gears (a torque multiplier, essentially) aren't nearly as necessary as it is for us with naturally aspirated cars. 3.73 gears are plenty in a GT500 (or other supercharged V8), and will offer much improved performance over the 3.31's.

You won't get any additional performance at a race track by choosing 4.10's over 3.73's in a GT500, or it'll be so infinitely minimal that it doesn't matter much, but the all around driveability of the car will be much nicer. Just putt-putting around town you'll really enjoy how the 4.10's make the car accelerate so easily at part throttle or full throttle, or even just how "right" the gear spacing between each shift seems. Gas mileage will not suffer much (about 1 mpg drop from 3.31 gears to 4.10's), unless you are so enamored by the 4.10's that you go around mashing the pedal to the floor a lot more with your new found acceleration underfoot.

Next month's issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Ford magazine will showcase more mods for GT500's, including gears. I believe they are planning on a set of 4.10's and they are taking the car to the dragstrip for a before and after comparison, so you'll definitely want to read that article. It should hit the newsstands in about 3 weeks.

Thanks - that's really good info. My fear was around the spacing and making 1st geat an unusable gear as you already are not spending much time there....Which would be better for the tow package option with the GT500? Kidding of corse but I do appreciate the info and will look for the mag.

Regards

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Dec 29 2006, 12:16 PM) 81146[/snapback]

Good info. thanks, but I am still unsure of your choice. I understand your thoughts for both gears. Gas mileage is not an issue for me. So, for all around street fun and drivability, 4.10 or 3.73??

mach man ... iceman and five 0 .... very very good aticles ... they see always go with your gut instinct .. your first choice .. which would be 410s ...

We have already sold the 410s to another customer .. i think ... and am planning on ordering the 373s.

Im still on the fence .. but i do think .. for discussion purposes only .. u cant go wrong with either gear.

No doubt the car will launch much easier with the 410s ... but i have always been conservative ... so i will prob go with the 373's

It will be a noticable difference ... and heck .. say within a year .. i want another boost .. than go with the 410s ... like we all know .. a very cheap mod

dond

Good info. thanks, but I am still unsure of your choice. I understand your thoughts for both gears. Gas mileage is not an issue for me. So, for all around street fun and drivability, 4.10 or 3.73??

For all around fun and driveability, go with 4.10's. For race duty, 3.73's or 4.10's are about equal, but both are better than the 3.31's.

Now, if you're unsure of my choice - as if I owned a GT500 - I would definitely go with 4.10's. The bigger and heavier a car, the more gear you'll want. I've done 4.10's in a couple heavy cars and it makes them get up and dance like a much lighter car.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Dec 29 2006, 02:33 PM) 81185[/snapback]

For all around fun and driveability, go with 4.10's. For race duty, 3.73's or 4.10's are about equal, but both are better than the 3.31's.

Now, if you're unsure of my choice - as if I owned a GT500 - I would definitely go with 4.10's. The bigger and heavier a car, the more gear you'll want. I've done 4.10's in a couple heavy cars and it makes them get up and dance like a much lighter car.

Thanks again, can't wait for spring to arrive :shift:

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Dec 29 2006, 06:16 AM) 81146[/snapback]

Is this the article you are speaking of or are they planning another one next month?

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech...test/index.html

No gear swap in this article but an impressive 11.785/117.31 1/4 mi.

DO NOT FEAR THE GEAR!!!!! GO WITH 4.10. YOU WON'T REGRET IT.

I WILL SHIP A 4.10 FRPP GEARSET WITH MY CAR. :shift:

Archived