TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Best Whipple 550 ET/MPH

I'm curious who has run the best ET/MPH with the Whipple 550 HO kit only on their car? No internal engine work, no cam upgrade, no head work. Just the Whipple 550 kit and tires so it will actually hook up?

I ran mine last Sunday, impossible to go to WOT in 1st or 2nd on the stock tires and still managed a 12.5 at 118.4. Couple customers heading to the track again this Sunday and I have to go to tune them so I'm thinking of throwing on a set of my other tires from my EVO since they bolt right up and seeing how quick it will really go.

I'd think with 118 traps speeds 11.7's shouldn't be too tough with some traction and as much as I had to pedal it I'm guessing the MPH is going to go up too, especially with a tad taller tire to avoid that 4th gear shift right at the end of the track.

I just want something to shoot for!

Thanks.

I'm curious who has run the best ET/MPH with the Whipple 550 HO kit only on their car? No internal engine work, no cam upgrade, no head work. Just the Whipple 550 kit and tires so it will actually hook up?

I ran mine last Sunday, impossible to go to WOT in 1st or 2nd on the stock tires and still managed a 12.5 at 118.4. Couple customers heading to the track again this Sunday and I have to go to tune them so I'm thinking of throwing on a set of my other tires from my EVO since they bolt right up and seeing how quick it will really go.

I'd think with 118 traps speeds 11.7's shouldn't be too tough with some traction and as much as I had to pedal it I'm guessing the MPH is going to go up too, especially with a tad taller tire to avoid that 4th gear shift right at the end of the track.

Thanks.

THOSE ARE GOOD TIMES FOR NOT HAVING TRACTION. IF YOU DO SOME DRAG

RADIALS YOU SHOULD BE IN THE 11.25 TO 11.60 SPREAD DEPENDING ON YOUR

YOUR TIRE SET UP. B.O.L.

SCOTTY

Thanks.

See my sig below.

I had no traction 1st run, and the 116 was a serious lag out of the hole to compensate. I think 120+ very possible on street tires and pressure...

I went back to the track today. Bettered my time by a large margin. 12.07 at 119.13 mph, still only a 2.03 sixty foot time. I'm impressed with the MPH. Only power mods are the complete Whipple 550 kit, absolutely nothing else. No weight reduction either. Actually car is a little heavier than stock with the GT500 brake kit on it.

I'm certain I'd have dropped the car in the 11's but on my 3rd run I shreaded the blower belt, which means you lose everything, water pump, alternator. Sucks, I had to get a flat bed to take the car home.

Going to speak with Whipple about a better belt, only had about 200 miles on it.

I went back to the track today. Bettered my time by a large margin. 12.07 at 119.13 mph, still only a 2.03 sixty foot time. I'm impressed with the MPH. Only power mods are the complete Whipple 550 kit, absolutely nothing else. No weight reduction either. Actually car is a little heavier than stock with the GT500 brake kit on it.

I'm certain I'd have dropped the car in the 11's but on my 3rd run I shreaded the blower belt, which means you lose everything, water pump, alternator. Sucks, I had to get a flat bed to take the car home.

Going to speak with Whipple about a better belt, only had about 200 miles on it.

Carry a spare belt and a 1/2 breakerbar with a 3/4 socket it takes 5 minutes to change the belt and can save some good money i shred them every 2k miles or so myself..

I know this is a GT topic but thought I'd throw in something about the belt chewing up.

About 3 weeks ago I made about 6 passes with my car. Whipple 3.4, no head work, cams, just a BAP and MAF extender on stock Goodyears aired down to 25 psi.

Best ET of the day was an 11.15@129

Best Trap of the day was 11.24@131

60's for the day were in the 1.8-1.9 range

By the end of the day my belt was pretty chewed up though.

I'm running the stock wheels with the GT500 brakes, I'm using wheel spacers.

I spoke with Whipple today, they are working on a better belt. I ordered 3 new belts today, I won't get stranded again. I have them sending in 2 day air. Also ordered some tires for the stock wheels. The track might be open again Sunday, going to give it hell.

Anyone know the part number for the belt?

Chris

I keep a spare belt in the trunk just for this reason. I bought it directly from Whipple. It is a Gates Micro-V AT belt and the part number is K061247. The size is 20mm X 3183mm or 13/16" X 125 1/4".

I'm a little bummed about the belts. I asked Roger about this issue in August when I picked Betsy up. He said he has over 4000 HARD miles on his with no problem. I think I'll kit up a spare belt and tools just to be on safe side...

Dan

I know this is a GT topic but thought I'd throw in something about the belt chewing up.

About 3 weeks ago I made about 6 passes with my car. Whipple 3.4, no head work, cams, just a BAP and MAF extender on stock Goodyears aired down to 25 psi.

Best ET of the day was an 11.15@129

Best Trap of the day was 11.24@131

60's for the day were in the 1.8-1.9 range

By the end of the day my belt was pretty chewed up though.

Totally bad a** right on thats quick...

on stock tires...great job there!!

You obviously can drive that bad boy!

:happy feet:

My understanding with the belt issue was that it was non-issue on the 55o kit. But some have it.

I have experience with HD aftermarket primary belts and they are very very sensitive to alignment. I also know that it is old school biker knowledge that if they heat way up the pulleys (aluminum) "grow" and your belt snaps...

I have snapped exactly one HD primary belt when I was running my bike the hardest I ever ran it. Just to smoke my cousin who was bragging how fast his HD was. It was a very twisty and then deserted road...he took quite awhile to catch up...he went back to his crib got an extra belt and an electric impact wrench and we changed it with the help of an outlet on the porch of a public Lbrary. We towed my HD with his for about 2 miles with rope he also grabbed to get to the Library.

Hemet a drunk girl and went home with her after my bike was put together...Karma :hysterical:

The end result was I never had heated up the primary like that before or since...maybe heat has something to do with the whipple belts snapping as well?

I'm running the stock wheels with the GT500 brakes, I'm using wheel spacers.

I spoke with Whipple today, they are working on a better belt. I ordered 3 new belts today, I won't get stranded again. I have them sending in 2 day air. Also ordered some tires for the stock wheels. The track might be open again Sunday, going to give it hell.

Right on!!

Great times!!! Theres some good HP there. As for the belt I always thought the belt issue was due to tensioner issues not the belt. I can tell you my pullies are always covered in belt dust and I have the 400HP kit and probably about 40 track passes and 25 dyno pulls on her already. Come to think of it a stick car shifting at WOT could definatley throw the belt alignment off from the shock of the shift.

Lets see some more ET's from the 550HP guys.

I ordered some Mickey Thompson drag radials I am putting on the stock wheels, tires will be in Friday.

The gears in the car are stock. I have NOTHING done to the car other than the Whipple 550 kit.

It's funny few months ago I posted about the kit, installing it and the whp it made on my dyno. I caught all kinds of hell for how low the numbers were and how I didn't know how to operate a dyno etc. The car only makes 398 whp on my MD dyno. Stock it make about 230 if I remember right. Here it is running 12.0's at 119 mph.

I too would like to hear from more 4.6 LITER OWNERS about their performance. I could care less about the 5.4's to be honest, as impressive as a few of them are.

It's hard to argue with the relatively low cost of this kit compared to how it runs compared to the bone stock GT500's I've seen.

I give you alot credit for what the car runs. Especially once you put on the MT's the ET should come down nicely. I was in the same situation as you only I have the 400HP kit with a automatic trans. Its funny how some people live and die by the dyno numbers. I can tell you this I started at 330HP at the wheels with the FRPP tune. I then had a local tuner do his magic and I now have a two tunes, 380HP for the track and 360HP for the street. One runs 12.5 at 110 and the other runs 12.1 at 111-113mph both on drag radials. Without them I would see high 12's at best. Im currently working on getting the Big Boost kit and then detune for the automatic transmission.

Have fun and dont worry about the negative people. Good luck with the car. :peelout:

Track was suppose to close last Sunday for the year. The weather has been so good they are staying open............so this week I ordered tires, got them Friday and have them on the car now.

I put M/T ET Street Radials on the stock wheels now, 265-40-18's. It's quite a bit of tire, 27"x10.5".

I'm going to head back out with the car in the morning in hopes of some nice solid 11 second passes.

I've got a new blower belt on the car and two spares;)

Today while I had the wheels off the car I painted the rear caliper and center of the rotor. Rotor was starting to rust, even garage kept and 1,000 miles on the car. I wanted the caliper to match the black front Brembo, so painted it all black. Looks a hell of a lot nicer now.

If I could manage some 1.80 sixty foots, which isn't asking all that much, the car should drop to 11.70's which would make me pretty happy.

I think I am going to put an aluminum driveshaft and some 4.10 gears in it over the winter. While I'm doing that I probably should throw a clutch in it too. If I do the gears I am going to pull the rear end out so I can paint all that too, why Ford can't spend $5 to paint the rear end is beyond me.

So close!

Took the car out today, absolutely beautiful day upper 60's I'd say.

I ran 4, 12.0's with a best being

7.84 at 90.xx mph in the 1/8th

12.003 at 120.66 mph in the 1/4

The best 60' I had was a 1.89. If I tried to get after it any harder on the launch it would just spin. The last run I did a burn out and actually got the tires smoking rather than just spinning them to clean them off. It worked and I could have left harder, ran another 1.8x sixty foot with no wheel spin and a slight bog. I was going to give it another shot but didn't want to wait in line again.

Great car, it's fun to drive like this. I sure wanted an 11 second pass, the MPH is there for sure.

There was a GT500 there with a smaller pulley on it and a cold air kit. He was running the same 265-40-18 MT radial I was. His best pass was 12.3x at 116 mph, so I was happy needless to say.

Maybe next year. I'm cleaning it off and covering it up for winter storage.

Archived