TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Aftermarket Carbon Fiber, Trufiber and SS Hoods

skiph

:idea:

Hey all. Hoping I can build something here that can be a living document and a good reference for all perspective buyers out there.

Inspired by the 'Got Me a New Hood" thread, as well as a couple of threads in the SS forum, and a huge contributor of this kind of thing...the one..the only...Grabber! :salute:

There are a lot of options for aftermarket hoods out there: SS (version 5 now), Carbon Fiber, Trufiber and with them all, where to get them. Some have reported great success short and/or long term, some not so much. Some with MUCH prep work needed before ready to paint, some with not-so-much prep work needed before ready to paint. Some long lasting, some not so much.

The goal here is to consolidate people's experiences into one post. I have a few categories of questions/data and as people post their own data, I'll update this top post to keep the sifting through the thread to a minimum (if at all). Who, knows, I might even be able to put a spreadsheet together with it all. So off we go to the races!

If you wish to add a question to the list I start with, I'll update that as much as possible as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~Q & A Section Begin~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where did you buy your hood (WEB links here are best)?

What specific model/part number was your hood? (Venom, Venom II, SS 4th gen, SS 5th gen, etc)?

Material (Carbon Fiber, TruFiber, etc).

How much prep work was required prior to it being ready to paint?

Did it REQUIRE (note, not a you preferred the look and put them on thing) hood pins to keep it from flexing at speed?

How long have you had it installed on your car, and what (if any) problems have cropped up over time?

Any other thoughts/comments on your hood you might have including pics of top and underside of the hood (pics will probably be left in there original post due to space and organizational limitations)

~~~~~~~~~~~~Q & A Section End~~~~~~~~~

Thanks! With any luck, it will help consolidate as much information that is scattered around here into a single place and save some folks some BAD experiences.

:lurk:

--------------------------------------------

Responses

---------------- 1 -------------------------

From wickedstangs:

Where did you buy your hood (WEB links here are best)? www.wickedstangsperformanceshop.com

What specific model/part number was your hood? (Venom, Venom II, SS 4th gen, SS 5th gen, etc)? GT500 VENOM II HOOD TF10024-A54KR

How much prep work was required prior to it being ready to paint? Not sure, I gave it to a buddy to paint and called me the next day to pick it up... I can give you his contact info

Did it REQUIRE (note, not a you preferred the look and put them on thing) hood pins to keep it from flexing at speed?

How long have you had it installed on your car, and what (if any) problems have cropped up over time? None so far its been about 9 nine days..

---------------- 1 -------------------------

~~~~~~~~~ next ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some good info below on SS hoods in their original positions

~~~~~~~~~ next ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Where did you buy your hood (WEB links here are best)? used from a Mustang forum member

What specific model/part number was your hood? (Venom, Venom II, SS 4th gen, SS 5th gen, etc)? TruFiber Venom

Material (Carbon Fiber, TruFiber, etc). TruFiber

How much prep work was required prior to it being ready to paint? I bought the hood used thinking that the previous owner had all the prep work done and it could just be bolted on...not so. The hood arrived prepainted (as advertised), but it was really wavy. It still took a number of hours to smooth and then it had to be primered and repainted ($1100). I suppose it is possible that this surfaced for the previous owner, hence his selling it, but that's not the story given to me.

Did it REQUIRE (note, not a you preferred the look and put them on thing) hood pins to keep it from flexing at speed? Hood was adjusted a couple times to keep it from flexing, however, the passenger front corner wants to flex more. So far I'd say it's fine. It doesn't really move until you hit above 100mph.

How long have you had it installed on your car, and what (if any) problems have cropped up over time? I bought a used one hoping to avoid any bubbling and warping issues...and so far no problems. I don't know how long the previous owner had it installed, but I've had it on for 6 months.

Any other thoughts/comments on your hood you might have including pics of top and underside of the hood (pics will probably be left in there original post due to space and organizational limitations)

One gotcha that I've found is that the "ram air opening" under the hood doesn't line up with the FRPP CAI at all. In fact it hits right on top of the air filter placing stress on the hood. I cut a section out of the CAI box so the filter would sit down more to relieve this stress on the hood.

The only other thing is that the hood sits very close to the tops of the strut bolts. I actually have a small dent/hole in the hood on the passenger side. This will be a problem for me when I have work done on the car. I close the hood very carefully by hand...someone else would probably slam it and create more fun for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey all. Hoping I can build something here that can be a living document and a good reference for all perspective buyers out there.

Inspired by the 'Got Me a New Hood" thread, as well as a couple of threads in the SS forum, and a huge contributor of this kind of thing...the one..the only...Grabber! :salute:

There are a lot of options for aftermarket hoods out there: SS (version 5 now), Carbon Fiber, Trufiber and with them all, where to get them. Some have reported great success short and/or long term, some not so much. Some with MUCH prep work needed before ready to paint, some with not-so-much prep work needed before ready to paint. Some long lasting, some not so much.

The goal here is to consolidate people's experiences into one post. I have a few categories of questions/data and as people post their own data, I'll update this top post to keep the sifting through the thread to a minimum (if at all). Who, knows, I might even be able to put a spreadsheet together with it all. So off we go to the races!

If you wish to add a question to the list I start with, I'll update that as much as possible as well.

Where did you buy your hood (WEB links here are best)? www.wickedstangsperformanceshop.com

What specific model/part number was your hood? (Venom, Venom II, SS 4th gen, SS 5th gen, etc)? GT500 VENOM II HOOD TF10024-A54KR

How much prep work was required prior to it being ready to paint? Not sure, I gave it to a buddy to paint and called me the next day to pick it up... I can give you his contact info

How long have you had it installed on your car, and what (if any) problems have cropped up over time? None so far its been about 9 nine days..

Thanks! With any luck, it will help consolidate as much information that is scattered around here into a single place and save some folks some BAD experiences.

:lurk:

I purchased th Super Snake Hood for Shelby Performance Parts. I have a hood that was built in September of 2009. The shop that painted it said it was the best quality hood they have seen so far. They have painted many fiber glass hoods and other fiber glass body parts for many years. They paint fire trucks for departments all over the United States.

It turned out very nice.

The Super Snake Hood does not come with neither the hood pin holes nor the CAI holes. I did not put either of the holes in my hood. The hood does have enough clearance for the stock air box.

The windshield wash nozzles will have to be moved. You can use the same type used on semi trucks. They attach to the blades.

Something to consider when buying a aftermarket hood is the stripes. The roof stripes are wider and shorter than the stock stripes.

Options:

1) Buy three hood stripes and splice them. Stock stripes come with pre-cuts for the stock vents.

2) Buy three roof stripes and splice and if you want, have them cut to the correct width.

3) Have the stripes painted on.

4) Find a vinyl stripe graphics shop that can match the color. If you have a red stripe car, Good Luck.

Where did you buy your hood (WEB links here are best)? used from a Mustang forum member

What specific model/part number was your hood? (Venom, Venom II, SS 4th gen, SS 5th gen, etc)? TruFiber Venom

Material (Carbon Fiber, TruFiber, etc). TruFiber

How much prep work was required prior to it being ready to paint? I bought the hood used thinking that the previous owner had all the prep work done and it could just be bolted on...not so. The hood arrived prepainted (as advertised), but it was really wavy. It still took a number of hours to smooth and then it had to be primered and repainted ($1100). I suppose it is possible that this surfaced for the previous owner, hence his selling it, but that's not the story given to me.

Did it REQUIRE (note, not a you preferred the look and put them on thing) hood pins to keep it from flexing at speed? Hood was adjusted a couple times to keep it from flexing, however, the passenger front corner wants to flex more. So far I'd say it's fine. It doesn't really move until you hit above 100mph.

How long have you had it installed on your car, and what (if any) problems have cropped up over time? I bought a used one hoping to avoid any bubbling and warping issues...and so far no problems. I don't know how long the previous owner had it installed, but I've had it on for 6 months.

One gotcha that I've found is that the "ram air opening" under the hood doesn't line up with the FRPP CAI at all. In fact it hits right on top of the air filter placing stress on the hood. I cut a section out of the CAI box so the filter would sit down more to relieve this stress on the hood.

The only other thing is that the hood sits very close to the tops of the strut bolts. I actually have a small dent/hole in the hood on the passenger side. This will be a problem for me when I have work done on the car. I close the hood very carefully by hand...someone else would probably slam it and create more fun for me.

HTH

HPIM1517_2.jpg

HPIM1517_2.jpg

I did a 5th generation SS hood for a friend. looked great but developed a bubble after a month or so. I am sure the cause for this is in the hood manufacturing process or sealer that they used. All the products that I used were compatible and within service dates and the manufactures measurements and directions were followed. We will carefully dissect the bubble (on video if possible) so that liability and cause will not be questionable. The repair cost for re-doing this hood is not going to be cheap and neither my self or wyatt intend to eat that.

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php...179&hl=prep

• 2 weeks later...

Another great guy to contact on any problems with lines or any kind of graphics. He puts all the lines and graphics on if not all,most of the Ford dealers in South Florida and West Palm. Hes name is Raul. He put on my Lemans lines on my Convt. GT500 and my friend added other lines to his Roush 427.

Miguel

WWW.Americanponyautographics.com

Well, I just ordered a hood from Suncoast Automotive. I'll keep everyone posted on this project from start to finish. Here's the hood I ordered: Suncoast Automotive

I was told that their hoods were,

A. Made to order. They don't stock them. They told me it takes about 4 days make one.

B. Guaranteed against defects for 3 years.

C. Hands down better than the competition. They have spec sheets to prove their quality.

So far I am impressed just from talking to them. Time will tell if their hoods live up to their claims.

Archived