TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford ESP Extended Warrantee Coverage

shelby111

Ford sent me an offer to purchase extended warrantee coverage through their ESP program. I normally do not go for extended warantees but with the transmission/clutch issues GT 500 owners are having, it might not be a bad idea; if the coverage covers the problem.

I do not know a lot about engines and warantee programs so I am looking for some good advice. The offer they made is called "BaseCare" and covers 7 years or 36,000 miles for $605. My 2008 is already covered for 3 years and 5 for powertrain.

In the BaseCare brochure they mailed to me, under the heading of "Transmission" they list the following as covered:

All internal parts, governor assembly, seals and gaskets, torque converter, transfer case (including all internal parts), and transmisson case.

There is no specific reference to clutch or flywheel? I assume the clutch is not covered but I thought I read that the clutch goes bad because of a faulty design in the flywheel. So if the flywheel was the initial cause of the problem, does that mean the coverage would fix my clutch and the other parts?

I also got a quote for lesser "PowertrainCare" coverage and it was only $50 less and did not cover a lot of other things. The only difference under the heading of "Transmission" is that under PowertrainCare, the Governor Assembly is NOT listed as covered.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Dave

Ford sent me an offer to purchase extended warrantee coverage through their ESP program. I normally do not go for extended warantees but with the transmission/clutch issues GT 500 owners are having, it might not be a bad idea; if the coverage covers the problem.

I do not know a lot about engines and warantee programs so I am looking for some good advice. The offer they made is called "BaseCare" and covers 7 years or 36,000 miles for $605. My 2008 is already covered for 3 years and 5 for powertrain.

In the BaseCare brochure they mailed to me, under the heading of "Transmission" they list the following as covered:

All internal parts, governor assembly, seals and gaskets, torque converter, transfer case (including all internal parts), and transmisson case.

There is no specific reference to clutch or flywheel? I assume the clutch is not covered but I thought I read that the clutch goes bad because of a faulty design in the flywheel. So if the flywheel was the initial cause of the problem, does that mean the coverage would fix my clutch and the other parts?

I also got a quote for lesser "PowertrainCare" coverage and it was only $50 less and did not cover a lot of other things. The only difference under the heading of "Transmission" is that under PowertrainCare, the Governor Assembly is NOT listed as covered.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Dave

I'm a firm believer in extended warranties. I always go the warranty offered by the manufacturer. May cost a little more but worth avoiding any hassles from a other warranty company that wants estimates etc. I have used my warranties many times on a few of my cars. On my GT500 which is a 2007, I got the factory warranty 7 yrs. 100k miles. The time will run out before I get the milage. Usually warranties are also transferable which may make it easier to sell your car should you decide to in the future.

Steve

AZ.

I inquired about the TSB being covered under the ESP and Ford told me it would not be covered. I would have bought it in a heartbeat had it provided coverage for the TSB. Just showed me that Ford knows the unlubed cars WILL have the problem someday and they are not willing to take care of it. Mine showed no symptoms so no one would help me. I sold the car and will not be a Ford customer after many years and purchases.

Thanks Steve

Can anyone address the issue of whether the clutch and other external parts would be covered with this warrentee based on the TSB?

Dave

I'm not sure we ever got a concrete answer on that. My guess it will be handled on a case by case basis and also by how good the dealership is with billing.

Technically the clutch is a wear item and is not covered but if the car has low miles when the issue arises they may cover it. Now on the other hand if you bring the car in with 100k it's obvious you got your use out of the clutch disc and shouldn't expect Ford to cover it no matter if the flywheel has problems or not.

Steve

I inquired about the TSB being covered under the ESP and Ford told me it would not be covered. I would have bought it in a heartbeat had it provided coverage for the TSB. Just showed me that Ford knows the unlubed cars WILL have the problem someday and they are not willing to take care of it. Mine showed no symptoms so no one would help me. I sold the car and will not be a Ford customer after many years and purchases.

Just so I am clear. Did they say no to doing a TSB under the ESP warrantee without any symptoms?. Or did they indicate that they would not fix something that was broke due to the TSB not being done?

I already tried to get the TSB done without symptoms. They said no. My hope was that if something broke after the warrantee expired, the ESP warrantee would cover it.

Thanks

LOL

Why would anyone go with an extended warranty is beyond me

Ford will not even make my clutch/tranny right and it is still under the 3 year bumper to bumper

no thanks, its a scam like all warranties

To each is own. I can tell you, had a 98 Ford Expedition years back and some electonic 4X4 parts went bad and had to be replaced. With Ext. Warr. costs to me $50.00. Without costs would have been about $1,200.

Had an 03 Ford Excursion with Ext. Warr. Entire wiring harness went bad with some shorted wires and burned up not only the harness, but some other elect. parts along the way. Costs to me $50.00. Without would have been about $2k.

A clutch is more than likely not going to be covered especially if abused but there are lot's of other parts on our cars that are just as or more expensive to fix and like in the 1st post, if you sell the car, it is a selling point that can make or break a deal if you have a warranty that is transferrable.

Steve

BHC/AZ.

To each is own. I can tell you, had a 98 Ford Expedition years back and some electonic 4X4 parts went bad and had to be replaced. With Ext. Warr. costs to me $50.00. Without costs would have been about $1,200.

Had an 03 Ford Excursion with Ext. Warr. Entire wiring harness went bad with some shorted wires and burned up not only the harness, but some other elect. parts along the way. Costs to me $50.00. Without would have been about $2k.

A clutch is more than likely not going to be covered especially if abused but there are lot's of other parts on our cars that are just as or more expensive to fix and like in the 1st post, if you sell the car, it is a selling point that can make or break a deal if you have a warranty that is transferrable.

Steve

BHC/AZ.

All good points. I can see the potential for a $6000 trans and clutch job down the road. Maybe the ESP will cover most of the more expensive part of the job and I would have to pay for the clutch part?

Whether it will cover the potential TSB issue or not, $600 for an extended factory warranty is cheap insurance (which is all a warranty really is). Small stuff can add up quickly. For instance, I bought an extended warranty on my old Z06 and the EBCM went bad (a common failure), a power window lift, and they replaced some seeping rear diff. seals (also common). Just the EBCM replacement alone covered the cost of the warranty. Having the warranty also helped because I had all that work done at once before I sold the car, and the remainder of the warranty was transferred to the new owner, which is a great selling point.

Now if the warranty was something ridiculous like $1600, I'd say pass...

Clutch is a wear item and would not be covered. Read the fine print. If your pressure plate failed or syncro's failed in the trans your covered. But they still won't pay for just a clutch under ESP unless a covered part caused it's failure.

Do you think the flywheel fallls into the covered categories of:

I think the TSB indicates that a defective flywheel is the primary cause of the trnsmission shifting problem? Or lack of factory installed lubrication?

Governors are in automatic transmissions, and Ford and other carmakers haven't used them since the early 90's. Electronic controls replaced them.

Steve

BHC/AZ.

I should have clarified that a warranty on a non performance car is much better than one with a car like this because with a car like this Ford claims many things are normal because its a performance car or will blame a mod you did or say owner abuse.

Seee the problems now with a warranty on a car like this? There is always an out

I should have clarified that a warranty on a non performance car is much better than one with a car like this because with a car like this Ford claims many things are normal because its a performance car or will blame a mod you did or say owner abuse.

Seee the problems now with a warranty on a car like this? There is always an out

While that can happen sometimes, it is usualy in the dealers finanicial interest to approve and do the work. Ford is paying the dealer and the dealers employees to do the work.

As far as blaming a mod goes, the law is rather clear on this: The failure has to be DIRECTLY related the the modification you made. So gears or suspension or Cold Air kits will not affect the blower or head gaskets or pistons, etc.

Any warranty denials can and probably should be appealed as stated in the warranty.

If anyone's interested... Northern Ford by Shelbyville, MT

Offered me a 7 year 36K/60K Premium Care ESP for $655 which is Ford's best coverage with $50 deductable...

Friends and I decided on a 7 year 48K/80K Premium Care ESP for $930 with $50 deductable...

She also had 7 year 60K/100 Premium Care ESP for $1125 with $50 deductable...

This is also a North American Warranty so it covers USA, Canada and goes right on your VIN

Cool thing is you can make payments over 11 months with no interest...

Ask for Sabrina... 1 800 823-1234... Tell her your one of the Shelby Guys....

Just so I am clear. Did they say no to doing a TSB under the ESP warrantee without any symptoms?. Or did they indicate that they would not fix something that was broke due to the TSB not being done?

I already tried to get the TSB done without symptoms. They said no. My hope was that if something broke after the warrantee expired, the ESP warrantee would cover it.

Thanks

I never mentioned if I had a symptom or not. They told me NO parts in the TSB would be covered under the ESP. I had them check on this because I wanted it in writing that it would be covered, which was never discussed either. Just give Ford ESP the TSB number and ask if the TSB is covered by the ESP. If they say yes, I would get it in writing, because I was told emphatically NO.

Good Luck

If anyone's interested... Northern Ford by Shelbyville, MT

Offered me a 7 year 36K/60K Premium Care ESP for $655 which is Ford's best coverage with $50 deductable...

Friends and I decided on a 7 year 48K/80K Premium Care ESP for $930 with $50 deductable...

She also had 7 year 60K/100 Premium Care ESP for $1125 with $50 deductable...

This is also a North American Warranty so it covers USA, Canada and goes right on your VIN

Cool thing is you can make payments over 11 months with no interest...

Ask for Sabrina... 1 800 823-1234... Tell her your one of the Shelby Guys....

Thanks for the info.

Archived