TEAM SHELBY FORUM

4.10 gear

I had the 4.10 gear installed last week . WOW ,is all I can say . i have a hole new car now. i love this mod. now its time for a tune.

I just finshed my install with the tune, Cold air intake, underdrive pulleys, big big difference. No whine on coast or pull side, backlash is great, so i did a good job, even though my hundreth install. Oh well, I knew would make a difference just never had a car that it made such a difference too.

Have fun

Thanks to Ken (aka Kahmann) I put it in 4.10 's and absolutely love having them

I know you can't see them but I promise they are in there

Take Care

Andrew

Glad I could point you in the right direction man! Lookin killer under there by the way. Now all you need is the Griggs torque arm and you'll be set! ;)

Ken

p.s. 4.10's are the only way to go, if you never track your car. If you do, they're still a ton of fun, but put you at redline a whole lot more often.

If I knew how much open tracking I'd be doing, I would have gone with 3.90's. However, the 4.10's are supreme on the street! :shift:

Glad I could point you in the right direction man! Lookin killer under there by the way. Now all you need is the Griggs torque arm and you'll be set! ;)

Ken

p.s. 4.10's are the only way to go, if you never track your car. If you do, they're still a ton of fun, but put you at redline a whole lot more often.

If I knew how much open tracking I'd be doing, I would have gone with 3.90's. However, the 4.10's are supreme on the street! :shift:

i track 3 or 4 times a year and im about to put a set in. i dont care. i shift so fast i dont think it wil be a problem, and it will resolve the "graveyard" feeling i get in fifth gear :shift:

high performance runs in the family, just wish i had the cars my parents had in highschool!!! :hysterical: :hysterical:

p.s. for the record that would be a 68 289 hipo and a 72 351 gt

kahnman when will we get another track vid from you?

i track 3 or 4 times a year and im about to put a set in. i dont care. i shift so fast i dont think it wil be a problem, and it will resolve the "graveyard" feeling i get in fifth gear :shift:

high performance runs in the family, just wish i had the cars my parents had in highschool!!! :hysterical: :hysterical:

p.s. for the record that would be a 68 289 hipo and a 72 351 gt

kahnman when will we get another track vid from you?

Hey dude, don't let my nay-saying get in your way! :lol:

I still run 4.10's on the track with my Paxton. Some scoff. Most just get passed. :shift:

As for track video, I dunno man. I'm really hoping to get out to Infineon early November!

Ken

Ken

Good point - I'll be taking notes of my RPM's this weekend at Summit Point.

Hey dude, don't let my nay-saying get in your way! :lol:

I still run 4.10's on the track with my Paxton. Some scoff. Most just get passed. :shift:

As for track video, I dunno man. I'm really hoping to get out to Infineon early November!

Ken

your input is never nay-saying kahnman its cold hard fact. and typicaly its more truth then others are willing to put in :)

i know im going to find that ugly red line with these gears but you what the hell lets run with it :shift:

I am curious what this did to your cruise rpm on the interstate? For example, what is your rpm now at several cruise speeds like 65, 75, 80?

Just wondering. My son has 4.10 gears in his "94 with a Tremec and he loves it, but he doesn't drive it down the highway or interstate that often. I am pondering adding 4.10 gears to our Shelby. I just don't want to regret losing the driveability at interstate speed.

On the other hand, my 55 Chev has 4.88 gears and no overdrive, so I am no stranger to a little rpm (4,000 rpm at 63-65 mph on the interstate). The engine is stout enough to handle it and has no problem running this speed for an extended time, but it makes the driver (me) wish there were one or two more gears! :shift:

I am curious what this did to your cruise rpm on the interstate? For example, what is your rpm now at several cruise speeds like 65, 75, 80?

Just wondering. My son has 4.10 gears in his "94 with a Tremec and he loves it, but he doesn't drive it down the highway or interstate that often. I am pondering adding 4.10 gears to our Shelby. I just don't want to regret losing the driveability at interstate speed.

On the other hand, my 55 Chev has 4.88 gears and no overdrive, so I am no stranger to a little rpm (4,000 rpm at 63-65 mph on the interstate). The engine is stout enough to handle it and has no problem running this speed for an extended time, but it makes the driver (me) wish there were one or two more gears! :shift:

It only bumped me up a couple hundred RPM. Really not a big deal at all. And it's very nice to have 5th gear as a pulling gear now.

I'm running 3.75's in my 66 with the original toploader 4 speed. It runs 3500 at 65mph. Sure wish I had done that 5 speed conversion! :doh:

It only bumped me up a couple hundred RPM. Really not a big deal at all. And it's very nice to have 5th gear as a pulling gear now.

I'm running 3.75's in my 66 with the original toploader 4 speed. It runs 3500 at 65mph. Sure wish I had done that 5 speed conversion! :doh:

Sounds good. Anyone have an exact rpm at a set speed, say 75mph??

I am convinced it is the right thing to do, but would love to know exactly what rpm I would be at.

And yes, a fifth gear would be awesome in the older cars, eh? Mine has an early Vette Rockcrusher Muncie 4 spd.

Hmmm...

I'm not so sure that 5th gear needs to "pull". If you're cruising along and want to pass a car, say going 65 and you want to accelerate to 75, Ken, you step down a little and your 500+hp pulls you to that speed easily, right?

If someone is in a 370Z (for instance) and they want to play, you're gonna grab 4th (maybe 3rd) anyway.

I could be wrong, but with the SC, 3:55 are fine. Stock, I would grab 4th anyway. The Z is gonna get you in 5th no matter what ratio or HP/TQ you have.

Just my $.02.

Dan

Hmmm...

I'm not so sure that 5th gear needs to "pull". If you're cruising along and want to pass a car, say going 65 and you want to accelerate to 75, Ken, you step down a little and your 500+hp pulls you to that speed easily, right?

If someone is in a 370Z (for instance) and they want to play, you're gonna grab 4th (maybe 3rd) anyway.

I could be wrong, but with the SC, 3:55 are fine. Stock, I would grab 4th anyway. The Z is gonna get you in 5th no matter what ratio or HP/TQ you have.

Just my $.02.

Dan

Hell, if a 370Z rolls up, I grab 3rd, straight to redline, then lay the shadow of shame across his hood as I waltz away. ;)

What I meant by 'pulling' was not to race. I just mean it's nice to not want to downshift for normal passing. With the 3.55's, I would always go to 4th to pass normally. Now I leave it in 5th and don't think twice. :)

Ken

I am convinced it is the right thing to do, but would love to know exactly what rpm I would be at.

And yes, a fifth gear would be awesome in the older cars, eh? Mine has an early Vette Rockcrusher Muncie 4 spd.

See if this works (needs Excel or similar) :

http://home.roadrunner.com/~fsheff/access/RPM_vs_Speed~1.zip or

http://www.2005stang.com/gallery/albums/us..._vs_Speed~0.xls

Here you go....

at 80 in fifth...

2200 stock 355 gears

2600 with FRPP 4.10s....

had the 4.10s since April 2008.......love them.......and yes I have tracked the car as well.........

Here you go....

at 80 in fifth...

2200 stock 355 gears

2600 with FRPP 4.10s....

had the 4.10s since April 2008.......love them.......and yes I have tracked the car as well.........

Do you mind telling me who performed the install and how much? I see your in NJ close to me. I would like to have this done as well.

• 1 month later...

Do you mind telling me who performed the install and how much? I see your in NJ close to me. I would like to have this done as well.

I would check your #s again, my SGT with a 5spd, 3.55 gears at 80 mph tacks 2500 rpm in 5th gear............mmmm very interesting

Archived