TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2009 The Year Chrysler Died

shelbymotorsports

Was reading an article in the WSJ about Fiat's takeover of Chrysler and couldn't believe what I was reading. Chrysler is dead and Fiat is making sure it can not rise from the ashes.

In a nutshell it appears to me that Fiat purchased Chrysler as nothing more than a distribution arm for Fiat and Alfa Romeo cars. Many Chrysler vehicles are being killed immediately while others are going to run a few years until the end of their life cycle with no replacements.

I particually like this line, "Fiat and Chrysler are working on several new vehicles with Fiat technology for the U.S." Now thats funny, Fiat technology.

And this one, "Alfa Romeo will give Chrysler a premium product it hopes can compete with Audi or Infiniti". Since when did Alfa Romeo become a premium brand??

So glad our government put up 9 billion dollars so Fiat can sell the American public cars not produced here. Umm hey Washington, there's a reason Fiat and Alfa Romeo left the U.S. market years ago.

Steve

Here's a link to a shorter version of the article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1256595365...;s_Most_Popular

Was reading an article in the WSJ about Fiat's takeover of Chrysler and couldn't believe what I was reading. Chrysler is dead and Fiat is making sure it can not rise from the ashes.

In a nutshell it appears to me that Fiat purchased Chrysler as nothing more than a distribution arm for Fiat and Alfa Romeo cars. Many Chrysler vehicles are being killed immediately while others are going to run a few years until the end of their life cycle with no replacements.

I particually like this line, "Fiat and Chrysler are working on several new vehicles with Fiat technology for the U.S." Now thats funny, Fiat technology.

And this one, "Alfa Romeo will give Chrysler a premium product it hopes can compete with Audi or Infiniti". Since when did Alfa Romeo become a premium brand??

So glad our government put up 9 billion dollars so Fiat can sell the American public cars not produced here. Umm hey Washington, there's a reason Fiat and Alfa Romeo left the U.S. market years ago.

Steve

Here's a link to a shorter version of the article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1256595365...;s_Most_Popular

Just need to clear one thing up................ Fiat did not purchase Chrysler.........No Money changed Hands......Chrysler was GIVEN to Fiat.

Too bad. I really liked the Challenger and was thinking of getting one in a few years.

I like the Challenger as well, not as much as my Shelby but it is a cool looking car. Better get one while you can...

Sorry if this pisses Union workers off, but I have always believed that they are what ruined this great country of ours. I understand that they where there to protect the worker, but over the years they got gready, and more gready, that business, decided it was best to hire kids from poor countries to create there product, and thus creating a product that would meet or exceed what was being made in the U.S. at price far more cheeper then it could be made here because of the unions constant demand for more money.

Sorry if this pisses Union workers off, but I have always believed that they are what ruined this great country of ours. I understand that they where there to protect the worker, but over the years they got gready, and more gready, that business, decided it was best to hire kids from poor countries to create there product, and thus creating a product that would meet or exceed what was being made in the U.S. at price far more cheeper then it could be made here because of the unions constant demand for more money.

Don't be sorry.......they are blind to reality anyways..........too busy being 'brothers' with each other...........all the way to the U.I. lineup.

I wonder what the auto unions will now say after being told numerous times that they are killing the auto industry.

The same stuff they always say: "Don't Blame US, it was THEM".

Unions may have been needed in the Past, but NOW they are a Drain on Business. They ARE the Business Mafia.

WE killed our own auto industry by buying foreign vehicles. :doh: Not unions.

BUT........ WE bought Foreign Vehicles because they were cheaper $$ and they were cheaper because the American Automakers had to deal with the Unions...............

Foreign vehicles were much better and some considerably cheaper........that is why the public went that way.

Ford is the last US auto maker that has a chance at making it, but the unions are already demanding more $ because of the possible success at Ford. :banghead:

Thats because those cars were of better quality and retained some value after you drove them off the lot, still the cars could be built better if the auto makers didnt have to pay some guy $45 dollars an hour to push a button.

Anyone ever guess who pays the union bosses....they do but i bet most of them don't know that.

We are a civilized free country that pays fair rates to our employees. We can't compete with communism and cheap or slave labor.

We also did have vehicles of sufficient or superior quality but people still buy foreign due to the brainwashed mindset that they are better.

For those of us that can remember the first time we got to see the Mustang,Challenger,Charger and Camaro rivalry on the streets it is a sad day.

For the families of the auto workers it is a sad day also.I fall under both even though my Father is now a retired GM skilled tradesman.

Not too sure most others really care.In fact it seems so many others are biased towards foreign vehicles and are somewhat pleased not realizing the real impact.

Life goes on.

BUT........ WE bought Foreign Vehicles because they were cheaper $$ and they were cheaper because the American Automakers had to deal with the Unions...............

Not always cheaper. I've driven Toyota trucks for quite awhile now and they had a government tariff put on them so they couldn't be sold cheaper than an american truck. I'm not sure if that applies to the Toyota trucks built here.

For me it all came down to reliability. I needed a truck that was good on gas and that would start each and every time. Toyota trucks have met my needs, something that the american trucks couldn't. Let me rephrase that, something the american truck manufacturers wouldn't do.

I don't understand how anyone can blame the consumer when the fault lies with both the unions and the manufacturers. Iacocca said it best with the "If you can find a better car then buy it" well that's what the american public did.

Luckily manufacturers like Ford are getting their stuff together and putting out great cars now.

Steve

Not always cheaper. I've driven Toyota trucks for quite awhile now and they had a government tariff put on them so they couldn't be sold cheaper than an american truck. I'm not sure if that applies to the Toyota trucks built here.

For me it all came down to reliability. I needed a truck that was good on gas and that would start each and every time. Toyota trucks have met my needs, something that the american trucks couldn't. Let me rephrase that, something the american truck manufacturers wouldn't do.

I don't understand how anyone can blame the consumer when the fault lies with both the unions and the manufacturers. Iacocca said it best with the "If you can find a better car then buy it" well that's what the american public did.

Luckily manufacturers like Ford are getting their stuff together and putting out great cars now.

Steve

There is a reason that Ford did not need the buy out help and that is they got the message a long time ago. You can build economy and specialty cars and trucks and still make a profit but you have to do it smart and earn and keep the loyalty that comes with making a good product. Dont get me wrong Ford is not perfect but in comparison to the other 2 auto makers they are head and shoulders above. Buy domestic products whenever possible but they must earn our dollars and not just bleed it out the back end.

Steve

I have to take exception here. My Ford truck is as good as the Toyota truck anyday. Its better quality that the comparale Chevy and Dodge. We are all to blame for this. The autoworker who wanted a MORE than fair wage, the consumer who was lead to believe that the foriegn cars are better than the domestics and the mamgement for ignoring what was comming. Honestly though, the unions carry the lions share. They have always said, they will never shut us down! Well, they were wrong and we are paying for it

I Agree, but more so than that, Greed in mankinds hearts is what has been killing the economy/country for decades from all levels, and who better to start with than the biggest Greedy ones of all,......who are in alot of cases, bad Greedy corporate management with their super inflated salaries and bad corrupt government officials from all levels. They are suppose to lead by example but they are Not doing such a Great job.

We are failing in alot of cases, and the hard working American people are suffering as a result. Desperate people do desperate things. In alot of cases, Our government has permitted our industries to leave the country along with the jobs. And I know its a free country to do so, but the money alot of these CE0's and Upper management have been making over the decades is astronomical. Our "Greedy" corporate leaders are taking too much money in income and dividends and perks,tax write-offs, etc for decades, and padding the politicians pockets, and shipping American jobs overseas and effectively robbing US workers and overcharging for goods and services. While at the same time they even "Use" foreign cheap laborers also, to do their bidding, while they keep their salaries padded at home. Then they justify their greed by throwing up a smoke screen and they blame the unions and/or hard working American middle class workers all the time,...too funny. Hypocrites. I have worked from both levels, and seen it time and time again

For example, Seems like in alot of cases car maker CEOs and upper management are taking at times,at least 500 times the average wages of our workers. Japanese CEOs take far less.

Dont get me going on overpaid sports figures and talk show hosts, etc etc

But, I still believe in The Old Red, White and Blue. I served our country as a Green Beret and I'm proud to be an American,....Always...through thick or thin! God Bless America! ;)

Archived