TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Lost Razor center caps on track

I had a great time at Laguna Seca yesterday. During my first run I lost the center cap somewhere out on the racetrack. Before my next run I inspected the remaining three caps. The one in the photo below fell out in the pits after I was parked. :headscratch:

The only thing I can figure is the rubber retaining ring inside the cap cooled after parking and allowed it to fall out.

Has anyone else had this problem? Things flying off the car on a track is not a good thing.

shelbycap.jpg

Well, my issue that I just had was that the clear plastic on the snake itself started to peel off, I contacted American Racing and was contacted by a retailer close to my zip code who took care of me, I really wanted some Terlingua caps but I was told no. Let me tell you these caps are not cheap. I drag race my car so i don't know if its the heat that's causing these problems :headscratch:

I had a great time at Laguna Seca yesterday. During my first run I lost the center cap somewhere out on the racetrack. Before my next run I inspected the remaining three caps. The one in the photo below fell out in the pits after I was parked. :headscratch:

The only thing I can figure is the rubber retaining ring inside the cap cooled after parking and allowed it to fall out.

Has anyone else had this problem? Things flying off the car on a track is not a good thing.

shelbycap.jpg

Every time I visit the local track they make me take mine off. I guess thats why that do that.

ItalianStallion

I think your right Andy. Your wheel is hotter than usual due to the excessive braking and that plastic center cap doesn't get as warm as the wheel (therefor not expanding as much) and falling out. That sucks! +1 on probably taking them out next time. Too bad you've got to pull the wheels to do it.

• 1 month later...

shelbycap.jpg

Well, after getting no help from SAI, I ordered one from Streetside Auto for $43. plus $10 shipping. I have to admit it's kind of disappointing that pieces from American "Racing" wheels fall off when you're on a track. It's even more bothersome that nobody who makes or sells the wheels seem to care.

Well, after getting no help from SAI, I ordered one from Streetside Auto for $43. plus $10 shipping. I have to admit it's kind of disappointing that pieces from American "Racing" wheels fall off when you're on a track. It's even more bothersome that nobody who makes or sells the wheels seem to care.

Dang Torch, I guess we better be for pulling them off before hitting the track at the Bash! Guess I better put the jack, torque wrench and socket in the car! :doh:

Dang Torch, I guess we better be for pulling them off before hitting the track at the Bash! Guess I better put the jack, torque wrench and socket in the car! :doh:

It didn't happen to me until the third time on the track. Yours are probably new enough so they won't pop out but who knows. I'm going to follow up with American Racing to try and get an answer.

It didn't happen to me until the third time on the track. Yours are probably new enough so they won't pop out but who knows. I'm going to follow up with American Racing to try and get an answer.

I had this happen after first getting the car back from shelby just after the 85th bash at willow springs.... I was lucky enought to be able to take a slow drive around the track at the lunch break to look for it and found quite a collection of items ranging from wheel caps to tow hooks luckily one of the track workers found it for me...I put a small dab of silicone on them and have had no problems since....ken

I had this happen after first getting the car back from shelby just after the 85th bash at willow springs.... I was lucky enought to be able to take a slow drive around the track at the lunch break to look for it and found quite a collection of items ranging from wheel caps to tow hooks luckily one of the track workers found it for me...I put a small dab of silicone on them and have had no problems since....ken

I've had to do that in the past....worked like a charm.

Looks like I have another mod to do before the Bash. I don't think I want to add up what I have had to do to be able to take my car to the bash...

Archived