TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Evolution Stage I installed

1badsho

I recieved from Evolution, the Stage I kit this am. Since I only worked a 1/2 day I started taking the stock intake off and assembled the JLT CAI right at the dealership.

Really a nice piece and fits real well. If you read the directions ... they may say this .. but i took the strut bar off .. installed the JLT intake ... and reinstalled the strut tower bar

I did do a few things different after reinstalling the bar. I put 3 small washers per bolt from our parts dept and raised the strut tower bar by a 1/4 inch +/- . used about 3 washers on each stud. It was enough to give me clearance with out having to worry about adjusting the TB coupler on an angle which i believe the instructions prob say. I tend to be anal about stuff and this gave me lots of clearance with no obvious down side so I was happy.

I really didnt read the directions from top to bottom ... but its a pretty simple install. Had to get a tech though to tell me how to get one connection off the stock air intake tube. All in all pretty simple and well designed.

IT LOOKS GREAT .... really does .... forget about the functionality .. it just looks good!

The flash was simple .. attach it to your port ... save the the stock setting and down load the new setting. DONE

Impressions ... Very very fast. You actually feel the difference. Boost went up 1 PSI too ... Im hitting 10 and the blower was alot louder ... u could really hear it whine.

The car just picked up. It was incredilbe. Like driving a different car. Very smooth but kicks u deeper in your seat. I am really curious how much HP and torque i picked up. Its a bunch ... that I will tell you.

Im going to get it dynoed as soon as possible and will release the numbers.

One thing .... I am reconsidering the gears. Our shop couldnt get them in today so they go in after xmas.

The car picked up so much on just the tune/CAI ... I got to think about that. Stock .. the car was fast .. with the tune/CAI .. the cars a beast but can be tamed .... with 410 gears .. and the tune/CAI .. dunno ... just dunno.

I've raced on many road courses ... Mid Ohio ... Hallett ... Road Atlanta and Sebring Int Speedway. So trust me when I say ... "I am use to fast cars." So behind the wheel of car, not much scares me.

This car is getting to the point of being scary fast !

"To do 410's or not .. thats the question to be"

Fred, Evolution thanks great product!

dond

ps I pruufed red this time !

pss: if this is a repeat post ..sorry .. think i posted the first one to the wrong forum !

Awsome Dond, I knew you would love the Evolution tune and JLT cai . At the level of HP you're at now the 410 are the best choice .

The more you climb up that HP ladder the less the 410s are necessary and the 373's start to be a better gear .IMO

What I did was to take into consideration my long term plans for the car, pretaining to my target HP and overall use of the car. I decided to go with the 373's. I can see how right now the 410s would be a better gear to use at the level I'm at and you're at. For me there is going to be point eventually where the 410s will be a little too steep.

Anyway its pretty exciting to get behind the wheel to try it out after doing just any of these performance mods. Wait till you change the gears.....its a whole other level again....... :shift:

God bless........George.....

Awsome Dond, I knew you would love the Evolution tune and JLT cai . At the level of HP you're at now the 410 are the best choice .

The more you climb up that HP ladder the less the 410s are necessary and the 373's start to be a better gear .IMO

What I did was to take into consideration my long term plans for the car, pretaining to my target HP and overall use of the car. I decided to go with the 373's. I can see how right now the 410s would be a better gear to use at the level I'm at and you're at. For me there is going to be point eventually where the 410s will be a little too steep.

Anyway its pretty exciting to get behind the wheel to try it out after doing just any of these performance mods. Wait till you change the gears.....its a whole other level again....... :shift:

svtbird91,

I am in the same boat, I've got 500 rwhp from JLT/tune. I was sure that 4:10's were the correct gear for me until the first time I drove it after the tune, then I was shocked at the power increase and started to wonder about 3:73's. Are you saying, based on your experiance with 3:73, that 4:10 is the best gear for this power level? I had 4:10 in my 450rwhp 96 Cobra and loved them, but this thing has so much more bottom end.

Glad you like the kit don. How would the boost be affected? You didn't change anything on the S/C, such as the pulley, right? I wouldn't think a tune would impact boost at all. :shrug:

Dave

dave

i wouldnt think so either .. but fred said it would .. and it did ... and in talking to a good friend of mine who has a Cobra terminator .. he confirmed the same .

I am definitly hitting 10 ont the guage .... something about more air into the TB ... from the CAI i believe ... and if u open your exhaust up more ... it would go back down to 9

dond

George ... hell ya .. a TOTAL different level. So i need to drive it some more and get more input from the list.

Im so far behind in xmas shopping .. wont be able to take the car out today .. it wont go to the mall .. take my dam good looking 1990 f 250 reg cab with primer spots all over .. if the forests were gray and brown ... i have the next camflouge paint scheme for the army! Its a beauty

dond

svtbird91,

I am in the same boat, I've got 500 rwhp from JLT/tune. I was sure that 4:10's were the correct gear for me until the first time I drove it after the tune, then I was shocked at the power increase and started to wonder about 3:73's. Are you saying, based on your experiance with 3:73, that 4:10 is the best gear for this power level? I had 4:10 in my 450rwhp 96 Cobra and loved them, but this thing has so much more bottom end.

ya svtbird /cobra8u

I feel exactly as you do Cobra8u ... this car woke up .( ha .. funny ... at 500 hp i think its slow ! ) with the tune ... and now its wickdly fast

So by putting the 410s in ... your right .. i go to another level of speed once more. Anyone out there in forum land that has this combo ... Stage I and 410s ??

And your saying 410s are the gear of choice.

Laslty .. I like someone to tell me how much of an increase in RPM range I will get. Ford racing said about 400 rpms more

dond

Don, Congratulations!!!!!!!!! Did you have the speed limiter removed and did you change the RPM limiter? I'm leaving the RPMs set where they are at now, for safety sake. When you get it dynoed yours will be in the top 25% of those with the same setup you know, the color does it every time.

Do me a favor, on a decent road, put it in 2nd gear. Climb to 3000 RPM, then quickly floor it without using clutch action and tell me how much tire spin there is, if any? That's what I've been using as a gauge.

It was great having you up for even that short time last week, definitely do it again and with more Shelby owners soon.

Keep it between the ditches!!

Scott

Don, Congratulations!!!!!!!!! Did you have the speed limiter removed and did you change the RPM limiter? I'm leaving the RPMs set where they are at now, for safety sake. When you get it dynoed yours will be in the top 25% of those with the same setup you know, the color does it every time.

Do me a favor, on a decent road, put it in 2nd gear. Climb to 3000 RPM, then quickly floor it without using clutch action and tell me how much tire spin there is, if any? That's what I've been using as a gauge.

It was great having you up for even that short time last week, definitely do it again and with more Shelby owners soon.

Keep it between the ditches!!

Scott

Scott

Same here ! ... really enjoyed your hospitality. I appreciate being invited up and look forward to getting together again.

Yes ... I had the speed limiter removed and the rev limiter bumped to 6500 rpms. According to Fred thats std operating procedures.

He gives u a little room when your near the stock rev limiter and allows u to exceed slightly. I dont foresee hitting those rpms esp since i know that over reving the motor is its weak link. The rods are stout .. but doesnt like to be over reved.

I will do the 2nd gear climb and let u know.

dond

post-7556-1166894064_thumb.jpg

post-7556-1166894064_thumb.jpg

Scott

Same here ! ... really enjoyed your hospitality. I appreciate being invited up and look forward to getting together again.

Yes ... I had the speed limiter removed and the rev limiter bumped to 6500 rpms. According to Fred thats std operating procedures.

He gives u a little room when your near the stock rev limiter and allows u to exceed slightly. I dont foresee hitting those rpms esp since i know that over reving the motor is its weak link. The rods are stout .. but doesnt like to be over reved.

I will do the 2nd gear climb and let u know.

dond

Hey Don

glad it went so well with the install. The stable side of me is starting to wonder what I have gotten into :hysterical2:

With less than 100 miles, and only partial throttle, I managed to scare the bejeus out of me a couple of times yesterday. :hyper: these shelbies are just monsters. It just does not feel as heavy as it really is, and takes off like a rocket. Now, the less stable side of me loves how you describe the results of the stage 1. Probably will go in the car later in the spring, would like to have a couple of thousand miles on in. My less stable side always wins out by the way :hysterical:

take care

John

That's the hard part! The only place to play around here is in the outback...roads with ditches! :banghead:

Hey Snoop Dog aka SCGT500,

Are these the ditches you are trying to stay out of. :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

svtkeith

That's the hard part! The only place to play around here is in the outback...roads with ditches! :banghead:

Hey Snoop Dog aka SCGT500,

Are these the ditches you are trying to stay out of. :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

post-3019-1166901495_thumb.jpg

post-3019-1166901556_thumb.jpg

post-3019-1166901495_thumb.jpg

post-3019-1166901556_thumb.jpg

I'm just making a post to bump this thead to the top. Not because of the butts however.

I'm very conservative and concerned about the warranty but I'm really thinking the CAI and the reflash is worth it.

I'm just making a post to bump this thead to the top. Not because of the butts however.

I'm very conservative and concerned about the warranty but I'm really thinking the CAI and the reflash is worth it.

a

150man ... thats all i am doing .... its worth every penny and than some !

dond

I recieved from Evolution, the Stage I kit this am. Since I only worked a 1/2 day I started taking the stock intake off and assembled the JLT CAI right at the dealership.

Really a nice piece and fits real well. If you read the directions ... they may say this .. but i took the strut bar off .. installed the JLT intake ... and reinstalled the strut tower bar

I did do a few things different after reinstalling the bar. I put 3 small washers per bolt from our parts dept and raised the strut tower bar by a 1/4 inch +/- . used about 3 washers on each stud. It was enough to give me clearance with out having to worry about adjusting the TB coupler on an angle which i believe the instructions prob say. I tend to be anal about stuff and this gave me lots of clearance with no obvious down side so I was happy.

I really didnt read the directions from top to bottom ... but its a pretty simple install. Had to get a tech though to tell me how to get one connection off the stock air intake tube. All in all pretty simple and well designed.

IT LOOKS GREAT .... really does .... forget about the functionality .. it just looks good!

The flash was simple .. attach it to your port ... save the the stock setting and down load the new setting. DONE

Impressions ... Very very fast. You actually feel the difference. Boost went up 1 PSI too ... Im hitting 10 and the blower was alot louder ... u could really hear it whine.

The car just picked up. It was incredilbe. Like driving a different car. Very smooth but kicks u deeper in your seat. I am really curious how much HP and torque i picked up. Its a bunch ... that I will tell you.

Im going to get it dynoed as soon as possible and will release the numbers.

One thing .... I am reconsidering the gears. Our shop couldnt get them in today so they go in after xmas.

The car picked up so much on just the tune/CAI ... I got to think about that. Stock .. the car was fast .. with the tune/CAI .. the cars a beast but can be tamed .... with 410 gears .. and the tune/CAI .. dunno ... just dunno.

I've raced on many road courses ... Mid Ohio ... Hallett ... Road Atlanta and Sebring Int Speedway. So trust me when I say ... "I am use to fast cars." So behind the wheel of car, not much scares me.

This car is getting to the point of being scary fast !

"To do 410's or not .. thats the question to be"

Fred, Evolution thanks great product!

dond

ps I pruufed red this time !

pss: if this is a repeat post ..sorry .. think i posted the first one to the wrong forum !

had concerns about the 410 gears ... but unless I waffle .. by tuesday .. i still plan to put them in. The rpms at 65 mph only increases by 399 rpms( thanks alloy dave ! ) ... i think i can live with that.

Just dont want the motor to rev to much on the interstate ... and really dont expect to take it on real long trips anyway

dond

had concerns about the 410 gears ... but unless I waffle .. by tuesday .. i still plan to put them in. The rpms at 65 mph only increases by 399 rpms( thanks alloy dave ! ) ... i think i can live with that.

Just dont want the motor to rev to much on the interstate ... and really dont expect to take it on real long trips anyway

dond

Actually I think it's 440 RPM...but what's a few RPM amongst friends.

Waffle ? Is this Florida slang? :hysterical2:

ya it is .... short for waffle house ... love those waffles ~ !

:banana piano:

dond

Archived