TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Kenny Bell on SGT Input needed

Hi All,

As we get very close to adding the supercharger and doing some homework I find myself leaning to the Kenny Bell. If anyone has this installed I would appreciate your candid feedback as to the pros and cons of the Kenny Bell verses the whipple.

I have looked at the Stage 1 and Stage 2 both with the understanding that there is only so much boost and RPM before the short block will need to be built if I intend on driving the car hard as I currently do.

Has anyone had Quataum perform the KB install?

Has anyone had the stage 2 installed and if so where did your air filter end up, I.E. in the fender well or under the hood. I understand KB likes the in the fender type for best cooling and performance.

Has anyone swapped the shelby cooling kit for the kennybell intercooler and if so are you impressed with the fdifference and the cost of the shelby kit.

Any feedback on the stage 1 or 2 would be appreciated.

Thanks for the input.

-Billy

Billy,

I have the KB on mine. The good news is that you cannot make a mistake no matter which power adder you use. I went with the KB and not the Whipple because, for me, the Whipple belongs to the GT500 guys. I know the KB is on the Super Snake but those are rare birds (snakes?).

One of the things that put me into the KB camp is how they get air to the engine. They get it from the outside and as low as possible (in the fender well). Every other brand gets it from under the hood, like our standard SGT set up. Add to that having it installed at SAI (that means something to me) and it was an easy choice.

I am getting, but have not gotten, the Revan Racing/Shelby cooling. If you track your car, you will need it pretty much anywhere you live. If you do not plan to track it, I would wait and see.

Good luck with making your decision. You will love whatever you get.

Jim

Another KB owner here.

I think the KB and the Whipple are both great superchargers. I have the KB because the Whipple wasn't available at the time. I have no regrets. It's as good as Jim mentioned plus it sits lower for a slightly lower center of gravity and it allows the use of a strut tower bar.

The KB stage 2 is a throttle body and a tune, so the air filter stays in front of the passenger front wheel. (I have the stage 1 so I can't tell you about the difference.)

I had mine installed at Quantum - the best in workmanship and customer service!

Hey Dig-It,

My SGT is at SAI getting the KB. I was curious, I had spoke to Bud in the Mod shop and he told me that I loose the strut tower brace with the Mod. I want to have that WITH the KB, can you tell me how or what you used? Since I have NEVER driven my car :banghead: ( am currently in Iraq) but have read many posts here about the stiffness added, I know that I want it. Thanks for your help.

Semper Fidelis

MARINESPEED

Hey Dig-It,

My SGT is at SAI getting the KB. I was curious, I had spoke to Bud in the Mod shop and he told me that I loose the strut tower brace with the Mod. I want to have that WITH the KB, can you tell me how or what you used? Since I have NEVER driven my car :banghead: ( am currently in Iraq) but have read many posts here about the stiffness added, I know that I want it. Thanks for your help.

Semper Fidelis

MARINESPEED

I am planning on the KB. I have been told and read somewhere here, that the CS6 Strut bar fits and clears the KB. Someone can verify this please.

Hey Dig-It,

Semper Fidelis

MARINESPEED

I have the FRPP Bullitt/V6 strut tower bar - FRPP p/n M-20201-F.

Funny, I ordered my SGT during my first tour over there with MNF-W (USN RIVRON ONE).

post-10226-1256593539_thumb.jpg

post-10226-1256593747_thumb.jpg

post-10226-1256593883_thumb.jpg

post-10226-1256593969_thumb.jpg

post-10226-1256593539_thumb.jpg

post-10226-1256593747_thumb.jpg

post-10226-1256593883_thumb.jpg

post-10226-1256593969_thumb.jpg

Go for the max HP! Shortblocks are not that expensive.... :hysterical:

Seriously, if FRPP can do a 550 kit I'd get anything up to that point...FRPP is not going to put out a engine exploding tune...no warranty true but mine is runing great and I drive it...

Congrats, you will be happy with either!!!! I went with the Whipple 550 because I felt it was a better package (GT500 fuel pump instead of boost-a-pump for example) and Tasca had a deal at the time a few of us took advantage of that made the Whipple Package less expensive.

I have no regrets, love it!!!!!!!!!

Go for the max HP! Shortblocks are not that expensive.... :hysterical:

Seriously, if FRPP can do a 550 kit I'd get anything up to that point...FRPP is not going to put out a engine exploding tune...no warranty true but mine is runing great and I drive it...

That was my thought also, as long as your doing it, go all the way. That is why I added the Drive Shaft as well. Only thing left is the clutch, but I might as well burn mine out first..............

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Good Stuff!

I'm sure leaning on the stage 2. Actually I had planned on staying with the black blower and going with black valve covers until I saw the pictures with all the chrome. Pretty neat deal.

I guess I'll let my pocketbook be the decision maker on the chrome verse black. I think it is about 500 or 600 more for the chrome (polished).

While I would like to send my car to SAI I live just about 5 hours from Dallas and Qautaum. I spoke with the Q guys at the mid-amercia meet in tulsa and was very pleased with thier follow up calls and emails. I have heard good things about that group.

I plan to have this done in December as it will be then before I can get enough time to get the car there. Given a few more savings by then I may just have them do a few extras. For sure when the time arrives and we get this deal done I'll post the results with pics.

Once again thanks for all the input.

For you guys doing the "I and A" deal right now my heart and prayers are with you. I'm an oldie that was in "V" and 82nd airborne.

Thanks,

-Billy

Whipple 550 ---I thought the 550 was the hsp at the crank.....found out later it actually stands for smiles per minute....LOVE IT...

I owe Kevin (aka Dig-It) a little something the next time I see him....he took advantage of me w/ his KB when I was still NA...NO Kevin, I haven't forgot! :hysterical: No matter which one you go w/ you will not make a wrong decsion either way. QP guys are great! :shift: Craig

I spoke with the Q guys at the mid-amercia meet in tulsa and was very pleased with thier follow up calls and emails. I have heard good things about that group.

Good Luck!! At least they returned your e-mail and calls!! I e-mailed them twice and left message...NO RETURN..So I guess they didn't want my money.

I will either ship to SAI or Do it myself at my Shop. Leaning towards my Shop (registry is not important to me)

Whipple 550 ---I thought the 550 was the hsp at the crank.....found out later it actually stands for smiles per minute....LOVE IT...

I owe Kevin (aka Dig-It) a little something the next time I see him....he took advantage of me w/ his KB when I was still NA...NO Kevin, I haven't forgot! :hysterical: No matter which one you go w/ you will not make a wrong decsion either way. QP guys are great! :shift: Craig

I never told you it wasn't supercharged. I had the SGT/SC stripes on the sides. And didn't we have the hoods popped open at Carl's? Speaking of which - "Don't make me get Carl!!!" :hysterical:

Either way, next time you'll have the SC so you better bring your 'A' game! Let's just agree that "next time" isn't a long time away! How about next spring?

I never told you it wasn't supercharged. I had the SGT/SC stripes on the sides. And didn't we have the hoods popped open at Carl's? Speaking of which - "Don't make me get Carl!!!" :hysterical:

Either way, next time you'll have the SC so you better bring your 'A' game! Let's just agree that "next time" isn't a long time away! How about next spring?

OMG, please don't call CARL! :finger: Anything but that....I apologize and yes we did have the hoods up.....Next spring sounds great...hopefully you'll have a little more "free" time then.

So I looking at instaling the KB. Does anyone know if any special modifications or cutting is needed? I looked at some pics on the KB website and since theair is drawn from the bottom, it appears that you might have to cut some engine sheet metal and remove the front fasia.

SGT C0056,

I am thinking about doing the install myself verses sending to Quatum. (I really am not that concerned about the regristy) I'm still undecided but know that if I do it I will take the time to make sure everything is as good as it can be from form, fit and function. I have read everything on the KB site to include printing and highlighting anything that helps my to make my mind-up on the KB verses other blowers. There is some great info in the tech sections.

Given the boost a pump I do understand the theory and really like that idea. Much of the theory they discuss makes sense and the parts I did not understand I have found help from other engineers at work that do have a better understand than myself.

I figure if I can install a couple of pro-chargers in my past cobra's I should be able to get the KB installed. I to would like more detail on the air breather and routing of the hose from the plastic to the breather. I would like to see a cleaner look however that is not bad is it is I just would like to see a tube all the way down. If I install I'll figure out how to get that done and have one made.

I have looked online for install manuals for the KB but have not found any. Seems you can find many others.

I really liked the other installtions the guys posted with pictures.

I plan on calling KB sometimes next week after I have all my questions listed. One question is the mods to the car for the air. One of the others is can I purchase the new shelby cooling kit and install it with the KB verses buying thier intercooler and if so will they provide me support with the shelby cooler. They pretty much use the same intercooler as the GT500.

Anyway I have about 7 questions at this time to ask. I'll follow up with a post once I talk to KB.

Thanks,

-Billy

SGT C0056,

I have looked online for install manuals for the KB but have not found any. Seems you can find many others.

Thanks,

-Billy

You get very, very detailed installation instructions with the KB.

Jim

So I looking at instaling the KB. Does anyone know if any special modifications or cutting is needed? I looked at some pics on the KB website and since theair is drawn from the bottom, it appears that you might have to cut some engine sheet metal and remove the front fasia.

That is one of several reasons I went with the Whipple

During my Quantum install, a 6" x 4" (approx) was removed from behind the passenger side of the front fascia near the headlamp.

Thanks for the reply...If anyone has close up pics, that would be great also. It seems that the windshield fluid reservoir might need to be moved to where the CAI is currently at. Also, not sure, but the fuse box might have to be lowered. I would like to look at one in Houston if I could.

I have been back and forth between the car being in the Registry or Not, but that is not my concern. I am going to do it myself. I recently purchased a Performace shop from a friend, where I took my 66 GT Fastback to get worked on, so I know we can do it there, save tons of labor costs and promote my buisness at the same time.

Once I do this, I will post as many pics as possible.

The KB kit includes a new windshield fluid reservoir. If you look at the pics I posted earlier in this thread, it's the black plastic cylinder on the driver side in the front of the engine bay where the CAI used to be. I don't think the fuse box was moved, but the ECM was.

Good luck with the install and your shop - congratulations!

It looks like you may get to this before I do. I would be be very intrested in you thoughts and suggestions once you get the ball rolling.

Thanks,

-Bm

I just had the 550 kit installed on my 08 shelby gt vert. The difference in power is night and day. I had my installed at a local ford motorsport dealer in CO. they no longer use a conical air filter set up on the 08 on up. they redesigned the airbox to look more like the stock box. I called Ford and whipple and they advised me this is due to emissions. They also stated that this new setup flows better than the other filter. The car drives great and has plenty of power. Puts a smile on your gace everytime you drvie it.

they no longer use a conical air filter set up on the 08 on up. they redesigned the airbox to look more like the stock box. I called Ford and whipple and they advised me this is due to emissions.

However, the conical type filter IS available from Whipple if you so choose. I didn't care for the stock box and true it was used so that Whipple could GET an EO#, but isn't required to pass emissions afterward.

Archived