TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hennessey Camaro HPE650 vs SpeedFactory Challenger SRT8 vs Shelby GT500 Super Snake

calgaryshelby

Well, I just happened to be at a Dodge dealer today looking at a Viper. It had 345x30x19s on the back. All I can say is Wow! The friction equation includes both a friction coefficient and area (= contact patch). Considering cornering forces and braking (not to mention acceleration), you cannot argue with the physics that, within reason, wider tires help and will lead collectively to better track times all other things being equal. There are other considerations that must be considered but we are all currently out of balance with respect to car mass and HP. The tires are too skinny and words will not change that!

I'd be satisfied as a current GT500 owner or potential SS owner if we just had the option to buy something better than stock in the aftermarket. But we have no such easy option. Perhaps Ford needs the thinner tires to reduce rolling friction to obtain acceptable mileage figures. Fine, but at least then give us the wheel clearance to do it on our own. Don't understand why the producers are giving the customers what they want. This is not new! There is money to be made here by the producers which is ok.

Don't get me wrong, better they do it stock and include it in the price we pay for a new car.

Amy,

I have a 2007 725 Super Snake and I love it.

The car breaks a lot better than the standard GT500, and handles better. Even I can tell it is better, why couldn't they??

It clearly says on page 49 that he got off the gas early due to Lack of confidence and lack of traction. This is why the Camaro out performed.

Put a real driver with real guts who can drive and then they would put the Super Snake above the Camaro.

Put the right tires and Gary Patterson behind the wheel, and it will be a different story.

It is great that Hennessey has done a nice job with the Camaro, and it is nice , but as they say in the end

IT AIN"T A Shelby

Guys, The tires that the SS comes with are very good, they were not allowed for the test. Had we used what we sell, it would have been fine.

Amy

With all due respect, why would you send the car over with tires not offered on the car. This isn't a real test and doesn't make sense. It should have been your way or the highway with MT. They wouldn't have sold too many subscriptions with only 2 of the 3 players in the test.

With all due respect, why would you send the car over with tires not offered on the car. This isn't a real test and doesn't make sense. It should have been your way or the highway with MT. They wouldn't have sold too many subscriptions with only 2 of the 3 players in the test.

i agree with you,why send the car over there!!you know they are pro GENERIC MOTORS!!shelby needs to send the car over to the people at muscle mustangs & fast fords to get the real test done.they got 11.9@120 on stock tires. :headscratch:

Comparison: Z06 has 335's, stock. There is no reason the GT500 has such skinny tires, both from Ford and on the SS.

To your point, I looked at the transmission gear ratios, final drive ratios, and rear tire diameter of a 2010 Z06, GT500, and SS. All things considered, their effective gear ratios to the ground are similar. The GT500 and SS perhaps even a little shorter if anything. Now given that, The GT500 has more HP and torque than the Z06 and the SS much more than the GT500.

Now we have 325 to 335s on the Z06 with the least power/torque and 285s and 275s on the the GT500 and SS, respectively. Along with the Z06 being 700 odd pounds lighter. What is wrong with this picture?? It does just not compute for me anyway.

To your point, I looked at the transmission gear ratios, final drive ratios, and rear tire diameter of a 2010 Z06, GT500, and SS. All things considered, their effective gear ratios to the ground are similar. The GT500 and SS perhaps even a little shorter if anything. Now given that, The GT500 has more HP and torque than the Z06 and the SS much more than the GT500.

Now we have 325 to 335s on the Z06 with the least power/torque and 285s and 275s on the the GT500 and SS, respectively. Along with the Z06 being 700 odd pounds lighter. What is wrong with this picture?? It does just not compute for me anyway.

The GT500 has 58% of it's weight on the front tires, almost as bad as an FWD car. The aluminum engine should help some, if it really shows up. The Z06 is close to 50/50, as I recall.

The GT500 has 58% of it's weight on the front tires, almost as bad as an FWD car. The aluminum engine should help some, if it really shows up. The Z06 is close to 50/50, as I recall.

OK???

Think of the traction circle. Engine torque force is applied to the rear tires. Don't get your point exactly. The Z06 has 275s on the front!

OK???

Think of the traction circle. Engine torque force is applied to the rear tires. Don't get your point exactly. The Z06 has 275s on the front!

Just saying that more weight on rear, or weight transfer, means better traction. An unloaded pickup truck will just spin it's tires on a quick take off.

"You can't grab the brass ring, sitting in the swan"

The merry-go-round, Amy. The swans are seats and you can't reach the brass rings from the seats.

You gotta ride the ponies! Yes? :bowdown:

I love my car and I don't care what the article says. It's all subjective.

The camero's, challengers, vettes are a dime-a-dozen. The GT500 and it's siblings are special. People let you know that everyday. I bought mine to keep as a collectable and I can't get out of it. It is a daily driver and damn comfy one.

I'd be satisfied as a current GT500 owner or potential SS owner if we just had the option to buy something better than stock in the aftermarket. But we have no such easy option. Perhaps Ford needs the thinner tires to reduce rolling friction to obtain acceptable mileage figures. Fine, but at least then give us the wheel clearance to do it on our own. Don't understand why the producers are giving the customers what they want. This is not new! There is money to be made here by the producers which is ok.

Very available in the aftermarket. Widen the stock 18" wheels to 11" and run 335/30/18 Nitto 555Rs. They fit perfectly, look great and HOOK much better than the stock Goodyears or the Pirelli Pzero.

Very available in the aftermarket. Widen the stock 18" wheels to 11" and run 335/30/18 Nitto 555Rs. They fit perfectly, look great and HOOK much better than the stock Goodyears or the Pirelli Pzero.

Mine is a 2010 with the 19 inch wheels. Any such option for them? Thanks.

Archived