TEAM SHELBY FORUM

fuel additive help ????

ok i know people have said octane booster will ruin our spark plugs .I have used lucas fuel additive before ,last time i took my car for service the guy ran a scan on car and said # 4 cylinder needed spark plug replaced.ok so with this ethanol gas should we be putting any kind of additive in the gas and what kind is safe ???and i dont know if the lucas had anything to do with that plug going bad either.

ok i know people have said octane booster will ruin our spark plugs .I have used lucas fuel additive before ,last time i took my car for service the guy ran a scan on car and said # 4 cylinder needed spark plug replaced.ok so with this ethanol gas should we be putting any kind of additive in the gas and what kind is safe ???and i dont know if the lucas had anything to do with that plug going bad either.

Most all gas nowadays has 10-15% alcohol in it, vehicles can use it with no problems. Just stay away from E-85, which is 85%. Only

flex-fuel cars should be using E-85.

My "X" is a chemist, worked in the Penzoil R&D dept, they are real serious obout thier oils... To make a long story short, do not waste money on any additives, especially OIL!!! The manufacturers formulate the oils with specific packages to perform a specific function, that being higher shear strength and temp resistance in an automatic etc. When you add any other additive you basically now have compromised your new oil! Leave your oil alone! Nevr add anything to a Synthetic!!!!

The only place you should or could add an additive is to Diesel fuel (due to temp or standing time) gasoline should never receive additives either unless you stabilize it once in a blue moon due to a prolonged storage..

I have worked in the petrochemical business for a while, spoke with many Chemists, scientists etc, they know what thier doing..

GNB

LucasOil octane booster ruined my Ford Racing plugs after 3 months of use. I'd steer clear of all of the octane boosters, if I were you.

Ken

It took 2 sets of plugs to get that fact through my thick head, I also have a six pack of Torco sitting in my garage, $130 wasted. The fear of getting bad gas has made me do some things that can only be described as stupid knowing what I know but running almost 18 psi on a DD with a hot street tune installed will put detionation on your mind. Even a perfect tune won't help you with bad gas.

It took 2 sets of plugs to get that fact through my thick head, I also have a six pack of Torco sitting in my garage, $130 wasted. The fear of getting bad gas has made me do some things that can only be described as stupid knowing what I know but running almost 18 psi on a DD with a hot street tune installed will put detionation on your mind. Even a perfect tune won't help you with bad gas.

Very good to know. I have a new bottle of Lucas in my garage that'll remain unopened...

BTW, Those are some rediculous dyno numbers you have there! :drool: WOW!

Archived