TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Wheel hop

FiaCobra

Are you guys with the 10's getting wheel hop on hard acceleration like the 07-09's have?

Just curious to see if that problem was addressed.

Also, for those that have launched their car HARD, ever hear a loud bang from underneath? Sounds like it comes from the right rear of the car.

No significant issue with wheel hop to mention, I have probably noticed once whereby the difficulty in putting the power down was due to what I think was wheel hop; I accelerated hard to keep up with a Jag XFR and as I hit strong power in 2nd, the rear axle started to tramp, which turned quite quickly into a fast hop - which needless to say meant that I couldn't keep with the Jag. I lifted off the power and tried to accelerate more gradually and this time all was okay, but the Jag was long gone by then.......:(

That was about a month ago on quite a warm day. It's currently seems really difficult for me to get any decent amount of traction that might lead to the axle tramp and hop. I didn't really open the car up fully until I'd completed approx 1000 miles, and by that time it was fall and the temp was dropping to a point where traction is a real issue on most days. To be honest on the days where the temp gets below the mid forties, it doesn't really seem too drivable with any sort of vigor anyway.

Perhaps when it warms up again, and the tractions improves, as it is really a phenomenon associated with all live axles, I'm sure that I may experience more tramping/hop incidences like I did with the XFR? But to be honest, chance would be a fine thing........

Megs

Now that I have the FRPP FR3 Handling Pack on the car, there is no wheel hop...period. I have upgraded my power significantly also. I'm at about 600 rwhp and I can gun it and there's no wheel hop. I think my wheels and suspension upgrades made the car handle like a dream. But I didn't have any wheel before the mods either.

I've never had any wheel hop or banging sounds. Maybe you had a rock stuck in the tire and threw it loose into the fender well?

If you're referring to me, the answer would be no.

The 07-09 models have wheel hop but some change out the UCA and LCA and it works. Others opt to replace the stock bushings.

As for the bang noise, only a few people complained about that with me being one of them. Only had it happened to me 3 or 4 times during a hard shift between 1st and 2nd. The sound is not from a pebble stuck in a tire......it's a horrific sound and it's LOUD. There are theories as to what the root cause is but, no one was able to definitely say what the cause was/is. Hasn't happened in a long time.

Just wondering if the 2010 suffers from the same wheel hop issue as the 07-09's.

If you're referring to me, the answer would be no.

The 07-09 models have wheel hop but some change out the UCA and LCA and it works. Others opt to replace the stock bushings.

As for the bang noise, only a few people complained about that with me being one of them. Only had it happened to me 3 or 4 times during a hard shift between 1st and 2nd. The sound is not from a pebble stuck in a tire......it's a horrific sound and it's LOUD. There are theories as to what the root cause is but, no one was able to definitely say what the cause was/is. Hasn't happened in a long time.

Just wondering if the 2010 suffers from the same wheel hop issue as the 07-09's.

Yes the wheel hop still exists. My 07 had it bad and so did the 10. The only suspension mods that I have done yet is to replace springs with STEEDA springs and add a ADJUSTABLE PAN HARD bar. This has made a great improvement but has not totally eleminated it.

I've had the wheel hop and the bang. Scared the shit out of me! I thought I broke something. I have a theory and an observation. Observation: The wheel hope only comes when loosing traction going around a corner and it's always the far wheel. Theory: The band happened during the wheel hop and I believe it was the trunk liner/board at the slamming into the frame like a whip. I thoroughly checked out all the hardware and all is fine. Very strange!!!!!

BTW - Car is all stock.

DaFreak

A few weeks after installing BMR UCA I began having loud banging from the rear. The bushings were defective and had squeezed out in 3 or 4 pieces. They were still around the bolt but split and out of place. The noise was metal to metal contact where the bushing should have been. I was sent free replacements and have been noise free since.

Everyone who rode in the car with me thought they heard the noise from a different area of the rear of the car until my son sat in the back specifically to listen and feel for it and definitely identified the UCA area.

It seems - if I remember corrcetly - that it was difficult to see without getting under the car and being at the right angle. This may not be your noise but it is definitely worth spending extra time inspecting. Bushings aren't very expensive - just time consuming to replace. I haven't read about anyone else finding this problem but I doubt I am the only one.

No wheel hop at all regardless of takeoff mode after UCA, LCA, and other suspension mods. I just need to buy widest wheel/drag radial combo that fits to hook this thing up!

• 2 weeks later...

I have not experienced the wheel-hop you describe but I *have* had the LOUD BANG you write about. I have a 2010 GT500 with under 1000 miles on it so any "wear factor" can be ruled out (i.e. bushings). Mine did it once when I turned the Traction Control off, floored it in first and *right* when I hit second it made the bang. And it was LOUD. My grandson was in the car and it alarmed him too. I'm a retired Auto Tech with a ton of racing and hi-po experience and the bang I heard is *not* usual. It was definately not a rock or debris kicked up from the wheel spinning. I couldn't tell if it came from the Rt. or Lt. side but it did come from behind the driver seat. At first I thought I tweaked the body and popped the rear window out but upon further examination and a solid front and rear window I suspect either the drive shaft hit the tunnel or the diff. nose hit the pan. I don't have access to a lift but I slid under the car with a creeper and don't find any *obvious* evidence of a driveline hit. However I did find that the pan that the rear valance attaches to (under the spare tire pan) was tweaked. Tweaked bad enough that I pulled the two valance connectors and bent the lip back in place with a body hammer. Check your pan where I describe and see if it is bent. It's right where the two bolts hold the pan to the underbelly of the car. The only reason I've only had one "bang" is because I am concerened enough that I haven't tried to bang second since.

HTH,

Phill Pollard - Co. Springs, CO

2010 Kona Blue/White stripes GT500

(Electronic Package/HID's/Cover)

I have not experienced the wheel-hop you describe but I *have* had the LOUD BANG you write about. I have a 2010 GT500 with under 1000 miles on it so any "wear factor" can be ruled out (i.e. bushings). Mine did it once when I turned the Traction Control off, floored it in first and *right* when I hit second it made the bang. And it was LOUD. My grandson was in the car and it alarmed him too. I'm a retired Auto Tech with a ton of racing and hi-po experience and the bang I heard is *not* usual. It was definately not a rock or debris kicked up from the wheel spinning. I couldn't tell if it came from the Rt. or Lt. side but it did come from behind the driver seat. At first I thought I tweaked the body and popped the rear window out but upon further examination and a solid front and rear window I suspect either the drive shaft hit the tunnel or the diff. nose hit the pan. I don't have access to a lift but I slid under the car with a creeper and don't find any *obvious* evidence of a driveline hit. However I did find that the pan that the rear valance attaches to (under the spare tire pan) was tweaked. Tweaked bad enough that I pulled the two valance connectors and bent the lip back in place with a body hammer. Check your pan where I describe and see if it is bent. It's right where the two bolts hold the pan to the underbelly of the car. The only reason I've only had one "bang" is because I am concerened enough that I haven't tried to bang second since.

HTH,

Phill Pollard - Co. Springs, CO

2010 Kona Blue/White stripes GT500

(Electronic Package/HID's/Cover)

Hi Phill,

I checked all around the valance and spare tire pan but found nothing. Could you provide a pic of the area you are describing? I only experienced the loud bang that one time and I have since hammered 2nd (and 1st) many times. It was a weird thing. Also, I have only experienced the wheel hop twice (the bang happened on one of these), both times when hammering 1st going around a corner on uneven road and losing traction.

DaFreak

Have you guys with banging, checked your exhaust?

I just did a little mod to the stock muffler to get me more sound until I can drop some cash on a Full system and noticed the exhaust really moves. Some areas have tight clearence and with heavy wheel hop, I can see how the exhaust could hit in several different places.

Have you guys with banging, checked your exhaust?

I just did a little mod to the stock muffler to get me more sound until I can drop some cash on a Full system and noticed the exhaust really moves. Some areas have tight clearence and with heavy wheel hop, I can see how the exhaust could hit in several different places.

WHAT TYPE OF LITTLE MUFFLER MOD ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT ?

WHAT TYPE OF LITTLE MUFFLER MOD ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT ?

Did this trick on my Hayabusa, and Harley. In this case it was really easy. Just used a Hole saw to open up the chambers inside. In my case I used a 1 3/4" because my 2 1/4" bit was damaged (going to get a new one and open it up more). Use some extensions and go in from the Tip side. Then drill away.

However, Dont cut 100%, leave it attached in the upper left (drivers side) upper right(pass side) so you dont have to fish the piece out. Just push it in like opening a door.

Yes it is louder on throttle, but I only have a 1 3/4" hole at the moment. After I get my 2 1/4 or 2 1/2(if it will fit). Should make a big difference.

I know some will say hacker job. But I just want sound. And I now have a little over stock.. And best part.......Free Free Free..!!! :happy feet:

And no need to remove cans from the car.

1-2 beer job rating. Need to make sure you tape bit and extensions (so they dont fall off in muffler). And getting bit to bite can take some finess. But overall an easy FREE mod, that will give you little sound.

Did this trick on my Hayabusa, and Harley. In this case it was really easy. Just used a Hole saw to open up the chambers inside. In my case I used a 1 3/4" because my 2 1/4" bit was damaged (going to get a new one and open it up more). Use some extensions and go in from the Tip side. Then drill away.

However, Dont cut 100%, leave it attached in the upper left (drivers side) upper right(pass side) so you dont have to fish the piece out. Just push it in like opening a door.

Yes it is louder on throttle, but I only have a 1 3/4" hole at the moment. After I get my 2 1/4 or 2 1/2(if it will fit). Should make a big difference.

I know some will say hacker job. But I just want sound. And I now have a little over stock.. And best part.......Free Free Free..!!! :happy feet:

And no need to remove cans from the car.

1-2 beer job rating. Need to make sure you tape bit and extensions (so they dont fall off in muffler). And getting bit to bite can take some finess. But overall an easy FREE mod, that will give you little sound.

WOW GREAT INFORMATION NICE MOD AND FREE TOO YOU THE MAN,THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 6 months later...

Are you guys with the 10's getting wheel hop on hard acceleration like the 07-09's have?

Just curious to see if that problem was addressed.

Also, for those that have launched their car HARD, ever hear a loud bang from underneath? Sounds like it comes from the right rear of the car.

+1 headscratch.gif

MY PROBLEM:

It seems my rear end squats and bottoms out when I stomp on it ... not all the time.

Sounds like the driveshaft hits the underside. It is a noticeable/significant "THUMP" coming hard out of 1st & 2nd gear.

I also inspected the rear tire wheel wells - there definitely is some residual tire/rubber from the tires hitting.

With a full tank, two kids in the back, chairs and cooler in the trunk the "THUMP" is more pronounced.

Will be installing the Steeda lower billet arms with spherical bearing on axle end and polyurethane bushing on frame end & adjustable uppers

* keep current SS/BMR adjustable panhard.

Will consider the Fays2 Watts link for verts if I am not happy with the above.

I generally get the wheel hop on uneven roads. I'm sure if I hooked up better it would be more noticeable. I haven't heard the loud bang from the rear and I drive it hard.

A significant amount of hop when suspension/tires were stock. Added a BMR LCA w/ poly bushings on one end and heim joint on the other. This helped, but it was still present. I have not noticed it yet since adding the larger tires, but if I do experience it I'm going with the Steeda UCA for cars w/o being lowered.

No bang that I can recall.

mine wheel hops all the time under full throttle from a stop.I think the verts get a little better traction because of the wider sidewalls and hop more--looking into UCAs---dont know that the "payback" is for better UCAs,ie what gets worse,handling,ride etc

Hmmm....the only time I got any wheel hop was when I got on it with the traction control on. Now that I have more miles and experience with her, I usually drive with traction control in sport mode or off. I've found that if I do that I get zero wheel hop. I do get the LOUD WHACK everytime I shift (power shift) hard into second. I'd love to figure out what causes that.

Rob

Now that I have the FRPP FR3 Handling Pack on the car, there is no wheel hop...period. I have upgraded my power significantly also. I'm at about 600 rwhp and I can gun it and there's no wheel hop. I think my wheels and suspension upgrades made the car handle like a dream. But I didn't have any wheel before the mods either.

BTW, you mention FRPP handling pack, but what about panhard or billet LCAs or other mount? Did the FRPP HP change it all for you or do you really think it's from replacing the Goofyears to Goodrich?

Archived