TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shaker hood

mad103

I have an 06 GT and I am thinking either adding an aftermarket RAM-AIR hood or a Shaker unit. Which would you think looks better. I know the Shaker is functional but does it add any power? And like the original shakers in the classic cars, does this one "shake" much? Im not asking if it shakes like a hot rod but does it have a noticeable shake to it? Plus, is it an easy install or paid install? (not much mechanical experience) Thanks and sorry if this has been asked already. I know everybody here hates repetitive stuff

Alex

Alex, Classic Design Concepts makes a Shaker hood kit for 2005-7 Mustang GT's. I've found them priced as low as $795 and very commonly at $895. If you don't mind doing the cutting and install, you can save some $'s. A couple local shops around here charge $1295 for the kit, parts, labor, and install. Even with limited skills, the average guy can do this job himself and save $400 to $500 in labor!

Ford engineers had told us that the Shaker on the 2003-4 Mach 1's was good for 25hp once you were going at least 80 mph, so you're not going to feel any difference driving around town, but Mach 1's drag tested with the Shaker plugged shut showed about a 2 tenths difference at the 1/4 mile drags, so there is some performance to be had.

The Shaker will shake a little and it is noticeable, but on a computer-controlled, fuel-injected car with modern motor mounts it won't shake nearly as much as on an old carb-fed big-block with a lumpy cam.

I think that on the 2005-7 Mustang GT you won't see more than about 10-15 hp with the new Shaker. One look at the crazy plumbing for it and you'll see why. Also, pay close attention to the tray under the Shaker top and you'll see daylight at the left and right edges: that means some air is blowing out of the scoop without getting rammed down to the air filter.

The Shaker looks cool, but I personally believe you'll get just as much improvement with a well designed CAI like the WMS front-mounted unit, JLT, C&L, etc.

Hey FIVE OH B,

Thanks for your feedback. I am looking into a CAI in the near future. The Shaker is, at this point, more for a cosmetic perspective. I did figure that it would not really SHAKE much, although it would look cool and scare the person next to me :happy feet: . I just wanted to decide whether I would be better off with a shaker or a Ram-Air hood, similar to what Cervini uses on their mustangs. I do not have any mechanical skills really, but I have looked into the installing instructions and it does not scare me. Just really need to see if it is something I can do. I would hate to spend so much on install especially because I am trying to save up for my car. This btw belongs to my 16 yr old brother. Guess you can say it is OUR project, at MY expense :cry::doh::hysterical:

Hey FIVE OH B,

Thanks for your feedback. I am looking into a CAI in the near future. The Shaker is, at this point, more for a cosmetic perspective. I did figure that it would not really SHAKE much, although it would look cool and scare the person next to me :happy feet: . I just wanted to decide whether I would be better off with a shaker or a Ram-Air hood, similar to what Cervini uses on their mustangs. I do not have any mechanical skills really, but I have looked into the installing instructions and it does not scare me. Just really need to see if it is something I can do. I would hate to spend so much on install especially because I am trying to save up for my car. This btw belongs to my 16 yr old brother. Guess you can say it is OUR project, at MY expense :cry::doh::hysterical:

The Shaker is bad a$$ed.IMO

I can speak on this.

I had an '03 Mach1.

It's not a matter of shake - it's a matter of twist.

When you get on the go pedal, the shaker unit twists to the right - torque flex - just like the engine.

HP gain? Not sure.

Cool factor from inside the car? Yeah, daddy! :happy feet:

But - my new CAI sucks more air and sounds better. Tough call.

Also cool when you raise the hood and see the hole! :shift:

I can speak on this.

I had an '03 Mach1.

It's not a matter of shake - it's a matter of twist.

When you get on the go pedal, the shaker unit twists to the right - torque flex - just like the engine.

HP gain? Not sure.

Cool factor from inside the car? Yeah, daddy! :happy feet:

But - my new CAI sucks more air and sounds better. Tough call.

Also cool when you raise the hood and see the hole! :shift:

Yeah, that's what hooked me on my Mach 1. I never thought I'd get one until I sat in the driver's seat. The view is seductive.

The reality is that the shaker is one of the coldest (least warm) CAI's you can get.

• 2 weeks later...

if thats so (shaker is one of the coldest) why does it get so little power gain? so to get things straigh, the shaker shows a little KICK when you smash on the gas?

I'm a little late answering, but....

There are several factors that make a shaker not give you the gain that a traditional CAI does.

1. the factory air filter is retained (unless you change it)

2. the factory mass air meter is retained (restrictive)

3. the routing of the air is a bit complicated

In the traditional CAI set up, you get a high flow filter, larger mass air, and there is very little between the inlet and the throttle body (TB). The larger mass air also necessitates a recal, so you get a good bump from that too. Even kits that don't require a recal, you usually get more efficient piping between the inlet and TB.

I'm a little late answering, but....

There are several factors that make a shaker not give you the gain that a traditional CAI does.

1. the factory air filter is retained (unless you change it)

2. the factory mass air meter is retained (restrictive)

3. the routing of the air is a bit complicated

In the traditional CAI set up, you get a high flow filter, larger mass air, and there is very little between the inlet and the throttle body (TB). The larger mass air also necessitates a recal, so you get a good bump from that too. Even kits that don't require a recal, you usually get more efficient piping between the inlet and TB.

How would it perform with an aftermarket CAI? JLT possibly

How would it perform with an aftermarket CAI? JLT possibly

With a larger mass-air meter and high flow filter, I would expect the gain to be on par with other systems. The only other problem is the fact that you really can't dyno the ram air effect while the car is sitting still. I expect the ram effect will give you additional gains at speed.

With a larger mass-air meter and high flow filter, I would expect the gain to be on par with other systems. The only other problem is the fact that you really can't dyno the ram air effect while the car is sitting still. I expect the ram effect will give you additional gains at speed.

UNDERSTOOD and thanks for the knowledge

I don't have any wind tunnel experience, but it seems to me that to have an efficient ram-air effect, one would want the intake to be on the grille/bumper as opposed to on the hood in the center? I'm picturing the air flow up and over the hood here. And I remember something about ram-air 442's or GTO's?

I don't have any wind tunnel experience, but it seems to me that to have an efficient ram-air effect, one would want the intake to be on the grille/bumper as opposed to on the hood in the center? I'm picturing the air flow up and over the hood here. And I remember something about ram-air 442's or GTO's?

That's a good point, but it all depends on the shape of the object. Having a flow-though grille would substantially reduce the magnitude of blow-over. I think you're referring to the cowl induction on the 442/GTO cars? Cowl induction works by using the high pressure developed at the base of the windshield to direct air backwards into the induction.

If you want to have some fun (I haven't tried this but always thought about doing it), cut a bunch of yarn in three inch lengths (2", 4", whatever - just not too long or too short) and tape the ends of the threads at various points along the length of the hood down the center line. If you're feeling frisky, you can tape others at various other points on the hood too, and even on the rear deck where the spoiler is, or would be. Drive the car at normal and highway speeds and take note of the behavior of the threads. At high pressure points along the hood the threads should be pointing straight back while at low pressure points the threads may lift or appear unstable. If the threads point straight back around where the shaker would sit, then you know you'll get good ram air effect.

...class dismissed. :shift:

That's a good point, but it all depends on the shape of the object. Having a flow-though grille would substantially reduce the magnitude of blow-over. I think you're referring to the cowl induction on the 442/GTO cars? Cowl induction works by using the high pressure developed at the base of the windshield to direct air backwards into the induction.

If you want to have some fun (I haven't tried this but always thought about doing it), cut a bunch of yarn in three inch lengths (2", 4", whatever - just not too long or too short) and tape the ends of the threads at various points along the length of the hood down the center line. If you're feeling frisky, you can tape others at various other points on the hood too, and even on the rear deck where the spoiler is, or would be. Drive the car at normal and highway speeds and take note of the behavior of the threads. At high pressure points along the hood the threads should be pointing straight back while at low pressure points the threads may lift or appear unstable. If the threads point straight back around where the shaker would sit, then you know you'll get good ram air effect.

...class dismissed. :shift:

Wow...we have a Ford Einstein here.. Man good idea!

Archived