TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Hitting the rev limiter scares the crap out of you

ChrisSD

Ive hit it 4 times so far--no big deal.Ive been hitting it for years in my Trans Am and Vette.These engines rev so fast,its hard not to hit it if youre driving i hadr at all.Hade to put an MSD igniton in my 65 GTO,blew the enigne twice,no rev limter.MSD has a variable one

These cars sound sick as hell banging the limiter

When I do it it just keeps on banging, no real power loss just no more speed or power until you shift, just that noise as someone else described

Does zero damage, so long as you have the factory rev limit

happens most in first gear but I do notice in all other higher gears, you want to just not shift because it revs up so easy and keeps making power!

Yea scared me too! Have any of you set your shift lights/tones? I set mine to 6000RPM so gives me a split second warning before I hit the limiter. If you haven't done it, try it! The tone is very faint and you can't here it unless your windows are closed. The the tac lights up like a X-Mas tree at night. Cool lil feature.

That's what I heard about the 2010's - very cool!

When I first got mine the audible tone AND shift light were set at something like 4,000 rpm - I couldn't figure out what was going on!!

I have since turned the alarm clock off and bumped the light a little ;)

These cars sound sick as hell banging the limiter

When I do it it just keeps on banging, no real power loss just no more speed or power until you shift, just that noise as someone else described

Does zero damage, so long as you have the factory rev limit

happens most in first gear but I do notice in all other higher gears, you want to just not shift because it revs up so easy and keeps making power!

Right, right - no real damage will ensue. It's... kinda fun!

Yea scared me too! Have any of you set your shift lights/tones? I set mine to 6000RPM so gives me a split second warning before I hit the limiter. If you haven't done it, try it! The tone is very faint and you can't here it unless your windows are closed. The the tac lights up like a X-Mas tree at night. Cool lil feature.

I now have mine at 5500--at 6000rpm im alawys late on the trigger

why does it scare people?

The scary thing is the big bang you get from wheel hop if you have not fixed that, now that is scary!

I've hit it once. It was at night and the tires broke loose in first, hit the limiter, no hop (have never had any wheel hop), the lights started flashing at me and I was thinking wtf did I just do. Then a second later I recalled you can set shift lights on the car. I never set mine, so it was a little scary with the flashing lights. I need to set the shift light asap because it's too easy to get over 6,ooo rpm quick....especially if your tires break loose at higher rpm when you're not expecting them to.

I say drive it how you want nice n easy but every once and awhile you just have to drive it like you stole it. Hitting the rev limiter just shows your looking at the road passing you by very fast not always the tach. :shift:

I hear you, SkipM.

I just don't want to pound the heck out of my car as well. It needs to last me...and I've still well under 2,000 miles on the clock.

To each their own as always. We've all got great cars whether they're black or red, coupe or convertible, an '08 or '10, driven hard or babied a bit. 20ixcmr.gif

At least you guys can still drive your cars. All I do is stare at it from the entrance of the garage waiting patiently for spring to come. I'm envious of all those who can still drive theirs.

You lucky c :censored: cks

Cross the border....come on down to the states..there's plenty of room for another Shelby owner! :peelout:

I couldn't take just staring at my car for 4 or 5 months. AHH!

I'm happy....that's all that matters. :shift:

No need to drive like a maniac in 25mph - 35mph zones in my town.

But the noise, you are missing out on the experience!

You don't drive on the highway? I think the min on most freeways is 55, surely you can open it up through at least the first 3 gears :D

• 1 month later...

Archived