TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New Shelby 18" wheels, tire recommendations?

Hi, can a few of you help me out with some tire recommendations for my new Shelby CS69 magnum 500 style wheels which are 18" X 9 1/2" versus the stock 18" X 8" Mustang GT wheel.

The stock tires are 235 X 50 X 18", and I'm thinking around 275 X 45 x 18" for the new rubber.

Thanks in advance.

John

255's on the front and 285's on the back, same as the GT500 guys run stock. You can put bigger on the back but I like the handling I get with the stock trim on 9.5" wheels. The extra rubber will be a welcome addition to your setup. Congrats on the wheels.

Jim

255's on the front and 285's on the back, same as the GT500 guys run stock. You can put bigger on the back but I like the handling I get with the stock trim on 9.5" wheels. The extra rubber will be a welcome addition to your setup. Congrats on the wheels.

Jim

I am running this same tire set-up on my CS69s (Goodyear F1s) and they handle great!

You can get a killer deal right now from Tirerack along with a current $50 rebate.

I am running this same tire set-up on my CS69s (Goodyear F1s) and they handle great!

You can get a killer deal right now from Tirerack along with a current $50 rebate.

Doogie65 is right on the money. I just bought a set of F1's and mailed in the $50 rebate form Monday. Make sure you get the regular F1's and not those for the KR (the KR version, for reasons lost on me, are something like twice as much).

Jim

Hi, can a few of you help me out with some tire recommendations for my new Shelby CS69 magnum 500 style wheels which are 18" X 9 1/2" versus the stock 18" X 8" Mustang GT wheel.

The stock tires are 235 X 50 X 18", and I'm thinking around 275 X 45 x 18" for the new rubber.

Thanks in advance.

John

275 45 - 18s are 27.7"s tall, that is .7"s taller than stock. This will definitely make your speedo read slower than actual MPH. If you do this, I would recommend 3.73 gears.

I got the GT500 take-off deal from Shelby Store; wheels are 18x9.5 and F1 tires as Jim noted: 255 front and 285 rear. I made the 2300-mile Terlingua trip in fine style, liked the looks (45mm offset moves the faces out closer to the fender edges) and performance. Except - I like a little less understeer, so today I had another pair of 285s put on the front. Just as I hoped, the car answers the helm a bit quicker, and I reckon once the mold release chemicals are boiled out of the tread, they will grip even better.

The tread wear characteristics are different between the less-expensive Eagle F1s and the newer, stickier, higher-priced ones. The sticky difference must be worth the money difference to someone!

Here is what I have gone with for the CS69 wheels after some discussion here and elsewhere. (By the way, if you are looking for the CS69, dark gray wheels, good luck. I got the last set this week from Shelby Wheels in Springfield, Mo. They are back ordered now.)

I was looking at the Nitto 555r's and while at the Nitto website, I saw the Invo series which appeared to have good traction (4 out of 5 vs the 555R 5 out of 5), great wet weather traction, and great handling characteristics. I also talked to a couple of speedshops along with Shonda at Shelby wheels who all recommended the Nitto Invo tires. Personally, I think they are rated outstanding for traction, short of being a street slick, coupled with the wet weather handling capabilities.

I've ordered the 255 X 45 X 18 for the fronts and the 285 X 40 X 18 for the rears. Cost is $195 here in Dallas.

Here is a link to Nitto's web site and a description of the Invo tires, which can be compared to their other tires.

http://www.nittotire.com/#index.tire.invo

Here is what I have gone with for the CS69 wheels after some discussion here and elsewhere. (By the way, if you are looking for the CS69, dark gray wheels, good luck. I got the last set this week from Shelby Wheels in Springfield, Mo. They are back ordered now.)

I actually ordered the hyper-black ones originally and not only were they not in stock at the time (this was back in May), but also received a call from the selling vendor about the finish. As it turns out, the last couple times they ordered those wheels there was a lot of variation in the color tint of the gray (hyper-black) and it took multiple attempts in those scenarios to get 4 wheels to actually match. Based on this feedback, I went with the black and in hindsight, really glad I did as they look great on the car.

Doogie, the black CS69's look very nice on the black cars. If my car was black, I definitely would have chosen the black wheels. On the other hand, mine is the '08 vista blue and the gray seems to really accent the car more. Hopefully the paint issue has been resolved.

Received my hyper-black CS69's today. Needless to say, the quality is outstanding and it is one great looking wheel. (All the painted surfaces matched very well.) I can't wait to get them on when I get back fom Vegas Saturday. Cheers everyone. Pics to follow.

Archived